ESPN Radio reports ...

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by Zackman, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

The Lions are in serious talks with CHAMP BAILEY!!! Bly and Champ at the corners would be sweeeeeeeet!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

his brother also plays for the lions. boss bailey, thats another plus

3. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

would make dre bly look very good to have champ there, he would get way more balls thrown his way. Right now they dont seek to avoid him, but they dont attack him either, with champ on other side, they would attack, attack, attack

4. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

Brother Boss is a huge reason ... they're very close and to be able to play together on the same unit would be way cool. Mariucci just hired a new DB coach ... yes he's been Champ's coach in Washington the last two years. It sounds like a plan to me.

5. 4THNLONGFELLOW

4THNLONGFELLOW Chicago Bears *********

WOW that is definatly scarry!

6. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

Millen: Lions interested in deal for Bailey

February 16, 2004

BY CURT SYLVESTER
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Washington Redskins are talking and Lions president Matt Millen is listening, but that doesn't mean Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey will be joining his younger brother -- linebacker Boss Bailey -- with the Lions soon.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is believed to be asking for the Lions' first and second-round picks in the NFL draft, as well as an additional draft pick or player, for Bailey.

Considering the Lions' many needs coming off a 5-11 season, it is doubtful Millen would be willing to give up that much, even for a four-time Pro Bowl cornerback who is only 25 years old.

But Millen indicated Sunday he is willing to continue discussions with Snyder and Bailey's agent, Jack Reale.

"If they want to talk, we'll gladly listen," Millen said. "And who knows where it goes? But, yeah, we'd be interested."

Bailey, due to become an unrestricted free agent March 3, is considered one of the NFL's best young cornerbacks. He turned down a nine-year, $55-million offer from the Redskins last summer and reportedly rejected a similar offer last week.

At that point, Snyder gave Reale permission to try to engineer a deal with interested teams and the Lions -- with an estimated $12.5 million in salary-cap room and a need for another quality cornerback -- are considered a prime candidate.

Although the move can be interpreted as a negotiating tactic, the Redskins might find themselves in a tight spot if they cannot sign or trade Bailey.

Their only recourse then would be to apply the franchise tag with a one-year offer of $6.8 million. Combined with linebacker LaVar Arrington's recent eight-year, $80-million contract extension, the Redskins would have little salary-cap flexibility to pursue the players new head coach Joe Gibbs needs for his rebuilding program.

There is no doubt Bailey would be a good fit with the Lions.

"He's as good a player as it gets," Millen said. "He's young, he's talented, he's got character. He's a lot of things.

"He's also expensive. There's a lot more to it than just, 'Hey, let's go get a good player.' "

If the Lions could find a way to land Bailey, however, it would be a major step in Millen's efforts to rebuild the defense.

With Bailey in the same secondary as Pro Bowler Dre' Bly -- Millen's free-agent prize from last season -- the Lions would be starting two of the NFL's best young cornerbacks.

They also would be starting one of the NFL's few brother combinations. Boss and Champ are extremely close and have discussed openly their hope to play together.

7. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

This deal will not happen here is why. Number 1 detroit
    is very interested in there chances to get sean taylor in
    2004 nfl draft. Giving up there first rd and there second rd
    to wash would mean detroit forfetted there draft.

Second as appealing as champ is he turned down a offer in
    wash for over 55 million. Detroit is not and will not make a
    offer for a veteran corner in the league at that price.

Third detroit has to many holes to fill in the draft to forfit
    there future giving up there picks. Detroit wants taylor
    and they are in wonderful spot in the draft.

Det, can sign a player like bobby taylor,bryant,vincent,plummer,
    madison who is rumored to be cut in miami to fix there secondary
    holes. Besides lookin at champs possible hit on the salery
    cap washington may franchise tag him or not resign him.

Its all speculation but millen said he hasnt ruled out the offer.
    But he didnt say he was gonna forfit the lions future also.

If champ is to not be resigned det could get him with a signing
    without losing anyone. Champs a long way from being a lion.

8. Bearsfan1

Champ is not worth a first and second? i dont know? sean taylor is a great player but will he have more impact than bailey? i doubt it. i think he is worth it and as far as 55 million the contract may say 55 million but it will probably be worth 27 they will restructure or cut him before teh last few years when he really would rake in the dollars.

9. Bucs40etrain

Bucs40etrain *********

Bf1, doesnt matter william clay ford will not pay
    anyone that kinda money. Only person he would
    is retired. As for champ not being a first or second
    rounder he is worth every penny. But not for detroit,
    detroit has so many holes to fill. Starting with the wrs
    to the rb's to the secondary. Draft is there key and
    for the first time in years, the detroit lions are under
    the nfl salery cap and have money to spend.
    Dont think they will pay a corner who's already been
    in the nfl for 5 seasons, the highest amount of all
    corners in the nfl. Det wouldnt wanna be back were
    they were last year salery cap wise, maxed out.

In the end there are only a few football
    teams that can afford champ. Saints would be more
    ideal then detroit. They have more money to spend
    and they difintley need a shut down corner.
    Matt millen may be listning but thats just another
    story to write in the detroit free press.

10. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

To say Ford wouldnt pay that kind of money for anyone is insane, he nearly paid that for Dre Bly last year and Champ Bailey is 10 times the player Bly is....of course the Redskins are asking for a lot, they wont get it though, if they dotn trade Champ they will have to tag him and that means theyt have to pay him a lot of cash for the year and then do it all again next year.....I did here an interesting scenario including the Redskins and Dolphins, where the Dolphins would send the Redskins Ogunleye, thier #1, and Madison in exchange for Ramsey and Champ Bailey provided that Ogunleye and Bailey could work out contract extensions, but I believe this to be a very unlikely scenario...and for the record, no way the Dolphins cut Madison, it wouldnt help the cap and they have no one behind him....

11. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

I agree w/ Beef that Bly is overrated. It seems like that for every big play he makes i.e. his GW Int in the Pro Bowl hew gets beat on 7 or 8 routine plays. Kind of like the long TD pass to Chad Johnson earlier in the same game.

That is an interesting trade rumor between the Skins and phins. I would have no problem if it were to occur.

Madison, IMO, might be a bit stubborn initially about working his contract but it would not hurt my feelings if he were to go elsewhere. Surtain is clearly the better CB of the two.

Now if Spielman could get rid of Fletcher. Say He & Griese to the Cardinals for a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft.

12. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Furthermore, It might help Miami's transition to the cover 2 if there was only one dominant CB. I can't think of any team running the cover 2 that has one let alone 2 above average CB's.

13. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

its true that cover 2 teams dont usually have great CBs, the cover 2 is perfect for compensating for good CBs which is why a lot of teams are going that way, notice the teams with superior corner play dont use it, ie...Washington, Miami, Tennesee, Buffalo, Oakland

14. gogobroncos

gogobroncos nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>its true that cover 2 teams dont usually have great CBs, the cover 2 is perfect for compensating for good CBs which is why a lot of teams are going that way, notice the teams with superior corner play dont use it, ie...Washington, Miami, Tennesee, Buffalo, Oakland</div>

I would also include Philadelphia in that short list of teams with superior corner play. I think Philly's corners, Taylor and Vincent, are second only to Miami's pair of corners, Madison and Surtain.(Sir-tan??)

15. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

gogo you are right, there have rarely ever been any 2 shut down corners on the same team. madison and surtain and vincent and taylor(what was) both pairs are probably top 5 ever. its rare that u get to shut down corners. now we lost ours.

o dont think buffalo, oakland, and washington and especially tennesse have a pair of shut downs. fred smoot overrates himself and that rubs off on experts, samari rolle is underrated but whos their other shut down corner? oakland has woodson and buchanon who hasnt impressed me yet, and buffalo of clements and winifield? if winifield resigns that is a great combo down the road.

you are forgetting seatle, if springs re-signs that might be a future great combo with trufant comming up.

16. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

Gotta give Tyrone Poole his due this season. He gave New Englend it's first pair of shutdown corners. he led the NFL in pass deflections and had 6 INT's. He had a great year and the only big play he gave up was in the superbowl and I don't think I have to tell anyone about Ty Law.

17. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

i forgot Philly, they also have or had a nice pair of corners....Tennessee's other CB is Andre Dyson and hes on the verge of stardom, hes very good....Washington has Bailey and Smoot, both exceptional, Buffalo's tandem are a lot better than you give them credit for already, those guys can play....Springs might be the games most overrated CB.....Ty Law is a superstar CB, but Poole got his picks because of Law, not becuase hes all that great, if he was, he wouldnt have been jettisoned from four other teams already....

18. Bearsfan1

seattle may be there even without springs trufant and lucas

19. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

Poole was jettisoned because he didn't have his head on his shoulders. His wife almost made him retire again this year during the preseason. He whipped big time. This season alone he was great and that can't be takin away from him. He should have been a probowler over McAlister. Also Law doesn't chase the teams number one around the field except for Marvin. They both played there side and switched for noone. He was left all alone out there alot and made some big plays. He was by far the biggest surprise this year for the Patriots and was a big part of the reason harrison was free to stop the run.

Just because a guy doesn't succeed with his first team or even his second doesn't mean he can't become or isn't a really good player. It could be the situation or the coach doesn't know how to use him. It's like saying priest holmes isn't that great it's just his line. How come he didn't succeed in baltimore.

If poole does it again next year he may get that trip to hawaii he deserved this season.

20. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackadder)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree w/ Beef that Bly is overrated. It seems like that for every big play he makes i.e. his GW Int in the Pro Bowl hew gets beat on 7 or 8 routine plays.</div>

BULLSHIT!!!! I watched Bly shut down top recievers game in and game out all year. He makes BIG play often. His peers voted him to start in the Pro Bowl and he played a big part in sending the AFC home losers.