ESPN: Wallace A BULL!!??

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by olskoolfunktitude, Jul 3, 2006.

1. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

2. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting olskoolFunktitude:</div><div class="quote_post">http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2508742

dont know what Wallace is thinking. thats only slightly higher an offer than the pistons made him. Had he stayed in Detroit they could have continued to be a serious contender for a few years</div>

It seems to me that Ben Wallace felt "disrespected" with what went on last season. I think this was more about ego than money.

3. PortlandLeBron

PortlandLeBron JBB JustBBall Member

Good point Durvasa; this was great move by the Bulls. The Bulls will more than likely get past the first round of the play-offs this year and they won't hunt to be in a neck to neck race for the 8th seed again.

4. adiii

adiii JBB JustBBall Member

Big Ben should stay a Piston. Very shocked...I don't want to see him in a Bulls uniform, but at least we can contend like crazy now.

Sad if you look up right now, you see "DETROIT PISTONS" and a picture of no other than Ben Wallace...he just symbolizes the franchise right now...

By the way where do the Pistons go from here? Dumars is a smart guy, should be interesting what moves they make, Bonzi would be a nice start.

5. heatfan

heatfan JBB JustBBall Member

Wallace A Bull

The following coming from a Heat fan who would love to see the Pistons go away...

I think the Pistons did the right thing in letting Wallace go.

If we can look over the fact that he is the face of the franchise and a very marketable player, his services are simply not worth that kind of money.

<font color=""Blue""><u>Bottom Line:</u>
    An undersized center at 6'8"
    Solid Defense and 7.3 Points and 11.3 rebs. is not worth $52 million over four years.</font>
    But then again Nene got a 6-year/60 million dollar contract from the Nuggets.
    Nene has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. [​IMG]

There are obviously other issues going on with the Pistons for Ben to walk away from such a great team over such a small difference in money. I don't think the Pistons players care too much for Flip Saunders as a coach. They didnt seem so at least during the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat.

With that said, this makes the Bulls a Very Good Team. Considering the troubles they gave the Heat during the playoffs.

6. NTC

NTC Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">DETROIT (AP) -- Free-agent center Ben Wallace is leaving the Detroit Pistons to sign with the Chicago Bulls, a person within the NBA said Monday.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because NBA free agents can't officially sign contracts until July 12, said the Pistons offered Wallace a four-year contract worth about $50 million. That would have made him the highest-paid player on the team next season with a salary of $11.5 million.

Messages were left Monday night for Wallace's agent, Arn Tellem, and a call to Wallace's home in suburban Detroit went unanswered. Wallace told The Detroit News on Sunday that he was disappointed with the Pistons' offer.

"It was not at all what I expected," Wallace said.

Wallace helped Detroit advance to four straight conference finals -- the first team to do so since the Bulls of the early 1990s.

Detroit wanted to keep its starting lineup together, and Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations, said late last week that his top priority was to re-sign Wallace.

Wallace, a four-time Defensive Player of the Year, could be a good fit for an up-and-coming Chicago team that needs help with rebounding and defense.

He was just what the Pistons needed when they acquired him and Chucky Atkins from Orlando before the 2000-01 season in a sign-and-trade deal for Grant Hill.

Wallace helped Detroit advance in the playoffs in 2002 -- for the first time since 1991 -- get to the conference finals in 2003, win a title in 2004 and reach the finals last year. The Pistons won an NBA-high and franchise-record 64 games last season, then lost to the eventual champion Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference finals.

During the past regular season, he ranked fourth in the NBA in rebounding (11.3), ninth in blocks (2.2) and 10th in steals (1.78) -- the only player among the top 10 in all three categories. The undrafted free agent from Virginia Union became the fifth player in league history to have 100 blocks and 100 steals in six straight seasons, a list that includes Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Erving, Sam Lacey and David Robinson.

Wallace scored 7.3 points a game this season and has not averaged double digits in any of his 10 years in the league. Since beginning his career with the Washington Wizards, he has averaged 6.6 points and made 42 percent of his free throws.

The Pistons center, affectionately known as "Big Ben" by his fans, became the first player to win the Defensive Player of the Year award four times in a five-year span. </div>

Source

Looks as though its official [​IMG].

This is a sad day for Pistons fans, I'm sad to see him leave as Ben has always been my favourite player and a cornerstone of our franchise, it just wont be the same without him. I had actually prepared myself for this move, so I'm not too shocked to see it happen. I hate to say it, but I would actually prefer to see Ben leave, than over pay him a contract that he doesnt deserve (based on his recent play).

I dont know who we're going to target now, we've got a bit of cap to work with, make a push for Joel Pryzbilla is my thought right now, I've been a fan of him over the last 2 seasons, and think he is quite underated. He would definatley help replace Ben's shot blocking and rebounding output.

7. rip-city

rip-city JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting holyace2k2:</div><div class="quote_post">Big Ben should stay a Piston. Very shocked...I don't want to see him in a Bulls uniform, but at least we can contend like crazy now.

Sad if you look up right now, you see "DETROIT PISTONS" and a picture of no other than Ben Wallace...he just symbolizes the franchise right now...

By the way where do the Pistons go from here? Dumars is a smart guy, should be interesting what moves they make, Bonzi would be a nice start.</div>
    Bonzi would be a good. And we should try get Mike James.
    And maybe Przybilla, he's a pretty good center.

8. NTC

NTC Active Member

Joel Pryzbilla is argubally the best centre left available in the pool, I think we definatley need to make a push for him. If theres anyone who doubts him, let me show you a quick run down on him.

<u>Joel Pryzbilla</u>

[​IMG]

Height: 7'1
    Weight: 255

<u>Career Highs</u>

Rebounds: 22 (@ Sacramento 01/18/05)
    Assists: 4 (7 Times)
    Blocks: 9 (@ Seattle 04/02/06)
    Steals: 3 (3 Times)

<u>Season 2005/2006 Numbers:</u>

Games: 56 (Started: 52)
    Rebounds: 391 (7.0rpg)
    Assists: 43 (0.8apg)
    Blocks: 130 (2.32bpg)
    Steals: 20 (0.36spg)

<u>Comparrison:</u>

Ben Wallace

Joel Pryzbilla

I think he still has great upside, he could become a good project for us. Only concern is he is coming off a knee injury which caused him to miss some time this season just past, but even still, I say go for it.

I dont really want to see us going after some one like Nazr Mohammed.

9. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

great move not signing him for that much money.

i'm sorry, but there is on way on the planet Ben Wallace is worth 14 million a season!

he wasnt the best defensive player last year
    he might of been the worst offensive player last year
    he's not the rebounding powerhouse he used to be (though still very good)

he's a 8-9million dollar man...maybe 10-11 if you push it...but not 14mill.

Then again....what the hell is Nene doing getting a 60 million dollar contract!!

10. I-Miss-MJ

I-Miss-MJ JBB I am so SMRT

It's the NBA, who is ever worth their contract?

11. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

^Jordan, Kobe, David West, Boris Diaw (who cares if west and diaw are on there rookie contracts lol)

anyways i wonder if pistson fans will boo

12. NTC

NTC Active Member

I'd think so, fair enough too I say, Ben specifically said he didnt care about the money before signing any deal, yet decided to take the money rather than principle anyway.

Best of luck to him in Chicago.

13. Ronartest93

Ronartest93 JBB JustBBall Member

This Comming From A Kings Fan. You Guys Are Gonna Suck Without Big Ben And You Arnt Getting Bonzi From Us Yet He Still Has To Reply To Our Offer. And I Dont Know How People Thought He Singed With The Raptors Because He Didnt Just Yet.

Go Kings!!!resign Bonzi!!

14. NTC

NTC Active Member

lol, we're not going to suck at all, mark my words, we'll still make it into the playoffs without Big Ben.

15. MrBigShot_23

MrBigShot_23 BBW Member

Wow. This is just so sad to see my fave player go for money. ANd I thought Ben was one of the small amount of players who didnt care about money. I guess i was wrong. Thats what being a superstar does to you i guess

16. Shiver

Shiver JBB JustBBall Member

^I wouldnt consider Ben a Superstar more like an All-Star.

17. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

^ and a weak one at that.

Dont worry..he's a punk. Money doesnt matter? So why sign with a team that you're less likely to win a championship with just for that extra million a year?

He's not worth 14...he wouldnt of been worth the 12 you guys offered. You saved yourself alot of money IMO.

18. I-Miss-MJ

I-Miss-MJ JBB I am so SMRT

funny how perceptions change with things don't go your way...

19. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting I-Miss-MJ:</div><div class="quote_post">funny how perceptions change with things don't go your way...</div>
    My thoughts exactly these same people would be singing a completely different tune if Big Ben had resigned with Detroit...

20. rip-city

rip-city JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NTC187:</div><div class="quote_post">lol, we're not going to suck at all, mark my words, we'll still make it into the playoffs without Big Ben.</div>
    We still have 3 all-stars and tay !