Excessive Force by Portland PD ?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Nate Dogg, May 3, 2013.

1. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    Watch the video with sound towards the end of the clip.
    My thoughts on this.
    It doesn't matter if she thought she was sober, the cops still have to do a sobriety test and by her means of refusing to exit her car, by keeping it locked and claiming that "she knows her rights" gives the cops the assumption that she is either hiding something, lying, or not consenting to their cause why they pulled her over. If she was texting or talking on the phone the cops have a valid point to pull her over for this. However she is refusing to get out of the car. If she had just had gotten out of the car willingly and say "Yes officer, gimmie a minute as I unlock my door" then she could be be tested for a sobriety test, pass and then she would go on her way. But in this case of her not opening her door and stepping out of her car she is setting herself up for a proper search or seizure which made them think she is drunk.
    Source: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/05/woman_whose_arm_was_broken_by.html

2. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    It figures the Kaforey's are the attorneys. Good loss for them.

3. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I have seen abuse by the Portland pd back during a protest of the first gulf war. But since then, I have gone down to many protests and gathering with the sole purpose to watch the police. I have been thrilled with the professional way the PDX PD handles themselves. There is an occasional abuse, and the department and city seem intent on cleaning up the situations when they occur. Overall, I've been proud of our Police. I watched them clear protesters during the occupy movement, and never saw one act inappropriatly. We, the Portland citizens, have seen vigilant in our demands that we have a quality police force, and in turn, we have that quality force.

Edit:
    It is important to expect high standards from our Police, and point out when they break our trust. It is also important to thank and respect the police who do uphold our stringent standards.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    Another thought that I had. Perhaps the police should have a recorder on their vests when they approach the vehicle so all conversations are heard?
    I don't understand what her intentions were when she said "I know my rights" but yet the officers didn't attempt to unlock her door or she made the effort to unlock it herself.

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I've been messed with by the cops and have also been a Military Policeman in the Army...... seen both sides. They have a tough ass job FAMS!

6. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Never talk to the police, even just to claim innocence. (unless there's some kind of life or death emergency hinging on you telling the police)

[video=youtube;i8z7NC5sgik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik[/video]

[video=youtube;08fZQWjDVKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE[/video]

Further likes this.
  7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Interesting, and basically true, repped, I watched both videos.

that speech was given to a law school class, and of course that is great advise for lawyers to give their clients. However, in my everyday life, when dealing with very minor issues (moving violations) I have found it very beneficial to talk with police. I have a routine when pulled over of what to say, and over a 20 year period I have gotten off with just a warning five times in a row, and I was guilty in every case. But I was well aware that by speaking if the officer did decide to give me a ticket I would be most certainly be guilty. If I were accused of anything worse that a moving violation, I would remain silent.

Last edited: May 4, 2013