Excitement in my neighborhood on game not (not from Cavs or Warriors, though)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by crandc, Jun 11, 2018.

1. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is OT but does relate back to final game of Finals.

Background - the man across the street likes to party. That's not unusual. But he built an overhang onto his garage so he & his guests could party outdoors even in rainy weather. Inside the garage is a sound system with two massive amplifiers. This is what you'd see in an outdoor concert of loud music, not a residential neighborhood. At first although unbearably loud he turned off music at reasonable hours but lately not so. A week ago Saturday I kept waking thinking the alarm was going off - 1 AM, 2 AM, 3:30 AM, at 4 AM I gave up. They are across the street, I live in the back half of a duplex and my bedroom is in very back, plus wearing earplugs, so you can get an idea how loud it was. Just before 5 AM they shut off. I don't like calling cops on neighbors unless there's an actual crime but some neighbors have; however, noise complaints are low priority. Talking to him did not work, he would act nice if he was alone but nothing changed.

Last Friday he got home just when I was finishing watering my yard, with a couple of his pals. Sure enough, loud music started, I said something unprintable, went inside, put in ear plugs. About an hour later the music stopped because they went inside to watch the game. I can't see the street from my unit unless I go outside. So was unaware anything unusual going on until...

Sirens. Lots of sirens. And shouting.

At least 10 police cars. This man had invited people to watch the game, as in a LOT of people. Most houses have a driveway and garage but as houses are close together street parking is limited. His guests had double parked, parked in people's driveways, blocked driveways, even blocked the intersection leading to our street - it's a one block dead end off another one block street. Police were inundated with complaints from irate residents returning home unable to get to their homes. They were driving over sidewalks to get to our street, which had now become totally barricaded between cops and illegally parked cars.

Neighbor and guests all taken away in handcuffs. Now, all this seemed like overkill for parking violations; it would have been more usual to ticket everyone and order them to move their vehicles, not arrest and haul off to jail. We could tell there was alcohol and marijuana in the house, both of which are legal, but people wondered if cops found substances that were not (news flash, if you want to break the law, don't call attention to yourself) or possibly someone fueled by alcohol and testosterone decided it would be a good idea to mouth off at the cops (news flash, never a good idea to mouth off at cops). I also wonder, considering how elaborate the set-up is, if my neighbor might have been operating a word-of-mouth unlicensed club. Anyway, after everyone was hauled off tow trucks came and towed every illegally parked vehicle. Some people started telling the cops about the all night amplified music and lack of response, they said call them every time, this place is now on their radar. Everyone then went back inside to watch the game.

Saturday afternoon my neighbor returned home with a woman in a uniform, apparently not police, I saw no police car. She was checking items off a clipboard. Then she left and he went inside, stayed inside all weekend. It was amazingly quiet.

Unless they showed the NBA Finals in the slammer, all these people missed the game.

2. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I know you're not this type of person, and I'm not for sinking down to a lower level because of someone else....

But....

If you were to throw eggs at his house nobody would suspect you!

Chris Craig likes this.
  3. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't waste my organic cage free eggs. Rather eat for breakfast or bake cookies.

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Yeah, paint filled balloons would be better. Could pass it off as urban art ;)

:cheers:

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You could also add some toilet paper streamers.

6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

There are actually people that are that unaware? Serves them right, maybe they will be more aware of their surroundings.

7. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    What an asshole. This guy sounds as bad as my last neighbor.

I'm now in a neighborhood and city with virtually no crime, where people drive carefully and there is never loud sounds. I don't even hear dogs bark. There is a train the runs on tracks about a mile and a half away late at night but it's not loud. I wouldn't even know about the train except that I've got insomnia and once in a while at 2 in the morning I can just faintly hear it.

Moving here was one of the best things I've ever done.

I live right behind a large high school and except for about five nights a year when they have a home football game, they're really quiet. I can handle that because I like kids and they're mostly really quiet.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  8. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Wow thats quite a story @crandc your neighbor sounds like an asshole. Sounds like you won't have to deal with his shut anymore. What dumbasses parking all over the place. Does sound like ge was trying to run an unlicensed club. Maybe the uniformed woman was an inspector of some kind.

9. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Yeah, inspector is what I thought. Because a lot of people invite friends over, they don't go to those lengths.

There is always some noise - occasional dogs, lawn mowers, chatter, ordinary music. Occurred to me yesterday that since a-hole started with his music kids had stopped playing ball in the street, perhaps because his guests did not always drive carefully. Residents know to do so. Those ordinary noises at normal hours are not a problem. I mean, I don't want to exist in a cone of silence.

10. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

This is when you'd love having me as a neighbor. I may have been shot to death by now or in prison but I'd have stopped this way earlier.

11. bodyman5000 and 1

Occasional noise is fine. Recurring noise is an invitation for trouble. We have one stupid Maserati driving asshole doctor neighbor who leaves his dog out to bark constantly.

He's trying to sell or I'd be all over him.

Chris Craig likes this.
  12. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Sound like Warriors fans to me.

PDXFonz and Chris Craig like this.
  13. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

They didn't miss much.

Sounds like he needs to move back into the frat house where he used to live.

BNM

14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

+1

Right!?!

15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Wait, so @crandc had a raging party and didn't invite us?

16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

raging is overrated

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My wonderful neighbors have finally had to move as they are in their 90s and can't keep up the life in the woods any longer....I'm terrified that crandc's neighbor will buy the place..

18. bodyman5000 and 1

Doubtful. Probably a right wing militia group

19. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Wait, you're not sure if this is OT???

20. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Yeah, I hear those are all the rage these days.