Forum Game Fantasy GM: Build Your All-Time Trail Blazers’ Starting Five Using $15

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by RipCityDSCPL, Aug 14, 2017.

1. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2017/8/...all-time-trail-blazers-starting-five-using-15

All right guys, don't roast me over an open fire because I posted something BE. I thought this would be a fun little game in the doldrums of waiting for Melo to accept coming here and something to talk about and discuss the reasons for the team you have chosen. I especially look forward to hearing the thought processes of @BonesJones, @Boob-No-More, @SlyPokerDog, @Orion Bailey, @Schilly, @Denny Crane, @KingSpeed and @Scalma to name just a few.

My picks would be:

Lilliard($5)
    Roy($4)
    Pippen($1)
    Buck($1)
    Sabonis($4)

You have offensive scoring all over the court with all five guys.

•Three point shooting with Dame, Roy, Pippen and Sabonis.
    •Pick and Pop/Roll that is interchangeable with all five guys.
    •Post-up and paint scoring with Buck, Pippen, and Sabonis.
    •Slashing with Dame, Roy and Pippen.
    •Paint and rim protection with Buck and Sabonis.
    •Perimeter defense with Pippen and Sabonis(and when he wanted to, Roy.)

That's mine. Who is going to be next?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

You can't just copy and paste the link in your reply area?

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  3. RipCityDSCPL

Thanks for the assist.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  4. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Glad I could help....

Yeah, it's BE, but its kinda cool. Lmao at the $0 choices. Felton, Woods, Jin, Kemp....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  5. RipCityDSCPL

Can I assume you are working on your team right now? It's not as easy as you may think.

I missed the Vine bus I take to start heading to work because I was figuring out combinations.

Luckly instead of arriving to work an hour and half early, I will be 45 minutes give or take, early today.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  6. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Yeah, looking at the choices.... Not a simple task- I like how they have the money amounts so you can't just simply toss together the 76-77 team. Gotta think about some of them.... And that's some funny stuff about missing the bus. Looks like you have your priorities straight though.... Lol

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  7. RipCityDSCPL

Are you surprised Matthews isn't listed? Cause I am and wondering if their is some bad feelings there with Wes and BE.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Lillard $5
    Drexler $5
    Pippen $1
    Lucas $4
    Walton $5

I have no problem going into luxury tax for that roster

If I'm forced

Lillard $5
    Drexler $5
    Pippen $1
    Buck $1
    Duck $2

9. RipCityDSCPL

LOL! You're just a natural rule breaker aren't you? Just can't help yourself can you?

Care to take this seriously and try again?

10. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

That's hard to say there. BE is so unpredictable. I gave up trying to figure the place out.

Ok, the tax bit was pretty darn funny....

11. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I "cheated" too:
    Lillard $5
    Drexler $5
    Pippen $1
    Mo Lucus $4
    A Healthy and IN SHAPE Greg Oden $0

12. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

The fact that they listed Brian Grant as a center, screws up my $15 team - twice. Grant did not play center in Portland. He may have played center in MIA, but in POR he was strictly a PF. He should have been listed behind Buck at PF for $0. Also, anyone not in the top 5 at their position should be available for $0 - that would include a true 3 & D guy like Wesley Matthews.

I made a couple assumptions - we are talking about assembling a team for today's, modern, 3-point heavy NBA and the goal is to win a championship (so built for post season success). In today's game, a guy like Clyde or Brandon Roy, or even Wesley Matthews can easily play the SF position. I am also assuming, per the article, that each player will be at their peak - meaning their best full season in a Portland uniform. With that in mind, my preferred line-up would have been:

PG - Terry Porter = $4
    SG - C.J. McCollum = $2
    SF - Brandon Roy = $4
    PF - Buck Williams = $1
    C - Bill Wlaton = $5
    Total = $16

Well crap, $1 over the cap! If Brian Grant had been correctly listed as a PF at $0, I would have inserted him in place of Buck at PF and been right at $15.

PG - The reasons for my choices are that shooting, especially 3-point shooting is at a premium in today's NBA. I love Lillard, and if not for the $15 cap, he would be my staring PG. However, Porter, at his peak shot a much higher 3FG% than Dame. Dame scores more, but peak Porter was a much more efficient scorer. During his best season, Terry shot .415 3FG% and had a TS% of .623 - that's insane for a guard, we're talking Steph Curry MVP level shooting. Dame's career best TS% is .586. Porter was also a better passer and a better defender. So, cost no object, Dame is my starting PG. With the $15 cap, I go with Porter and save a buck.

SG - In today's NBA, C.J.'s shooting at $2 is really hard to pass up. Last season, C.J. shot .421 from 3-point range and led the league in FT% at .912. Those are very impressive numbers and makes him the best shooting SG this franchise has ever had. Unfortunately, because of BGrant being listed out of position at center, I will end up having to give up C.J. and go with Brandon Roy at SG - more on that below.

SF - In today's NBA, I'm moving the 6'6" Roy to SF. He had the size, strength and athleticism to play the position in today's game. During Roy's best season in Portland he had PER = 24.0, 13.5 WS and .223 WS/48. Those are some of the best numbers in those categories in franchise history. Too bad they didn't last, but this excise is based on peak performance and peak performance Brandon Roy was pretty damn good.

PF - in today's game, it would be nice to have a stretch 4 to spread the court, but we've never really had one in Portland. So, at $1 it's hard to pass up Buck's defense, rebounding, toughness, leadership and efficient scoring. Beside's he'd work fine with my center of choice, even in today's game. Today's game isn't just about 3-point shooting, it's about scoring efficiency (3-pointers + lay ups), and during his Blazer's career, Buck was all about efficient scoring. His first year in Portland, he averaged 13.6 ppg as the fifth option on offense. The following two seasons, he led the NBA in FG% at .602 and .604. In 1991-92., he also led the league in TS% at .651. That's efficient scoring!

C - Of all the players from the past, I think Bill Walton's game would be the most adaptable to today's NBA. In fact, I think Big Bill would absolutely flourish in the modern game. He would be a much bigger, much better, much less likely to get suspended during the finals and cost your team a championship version of Draymond Green. In 76-77 Walton led the league in both REB at 14.4 rpg ad blocked shots at 3.2 bpg. Those are outstanding numbers in any generation. With Walton at center, we would dominate the boards and he would be the ultimate rim protector. His high post passing game would also be perfect in today's NBA. As much as I loved Sabonis, in spite of his 3-point shooting (he never really shot that high of a 3FG% and never made more than 49 in a season), I don't think he would be well suited to the modern game. Sabas played during an era of big, powerful centers. At the time, his size and bulk we assets. In today's game, his incredibly slow foot speed would be routinely exploited in the pick and roll. Sabonins, because of his skills and high BBIQ would be a good player in any generation, but by the time he played for POR, he was already in his 30s and had suffered two ruptured Achilles's tendons. I would LOVE him coming off the bench and backing up Walton (Sabonis came off the bench his rookie year and had, by far, his most efficient season playing limited minutes as a back up), but Big Bill is my starting center.

Ok, that's all well and good, but I'm still over the cap by $1. My second choice also depends on Brian Grant being correctly listed at PF for $0. It also depends on anyone not listed being available for $0.

PG - Damian Lillard = $5
    SG - Wesley Mattews = $0
    SF - Clyde Drexler = $5
    PF - Brian Grant = $0
    C - Bill Walton = $5
    Total = $15

This is the closest we can come to a modern superstar driven team. Dame, Clyde and Walton are our Big 3 and we fill in the other two positions with solid role players. Pre-injury Wes was a great 3 & D fourth option who can lock down the oppositions best perimeter scorer and BGrant gives us rebounding, interior defense and toughness.

Unfortunately, this starting 5 is also not posssible under the rules of the game as stated.

So, I have to go with:

PG - Terry Porter = $4
    SG - Brandon Roy $4
    SF - Scottie Pippin = $1
    PF - Buck Williams = $1
    C - Bill Walton = $5
    Total = $15

That team would kick ass in the previous generation, but lacks 3-point shooting compared to other current top teams. That team would have great defense, rebounding and passing. So, they would still compete and would be well suited for the post season where the games slow down and defense, rebounding and efficient scoring become even more important. Ultimately, for the modern game, I prefer my first two choices, but given the imposed constraints, I think these five represent the best values at each position.

BNM

13. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Scottie Pippen is only worth $1 LoL...What a steal!

GriLtCheeZ likes this.
  14. BigGameDamian

Give me Rod Strickland, Brandon Roy, Scottie Pippen, Maurice Lucas and Arvydas Sabonis.

PtldPlatypus and RipCityDSCPL like this.
  15. BigGameDamian

Uncle Cliffy was a brick machine come playoff time and they want 5 bucks for him? I know the guy was a fan favorite but that's a little steep.

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  16. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Walton
    Porter
    Petrie
    Wicks
    Pippen

Dougnsalem and RipCityDSCPL like this.
  17. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Porter $4
    Roy $4
    Pippen $1
    Buck $1
    Sabonis $4
    and $1 for BG to come off the bench.

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  18. Nhawz

Nhawz Lickety Brindle

Strickland
    McCollum
    Pippin
    Wallace
    Walton

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  19. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I can't imagine how much pot that lineup smokes.

20. RipCityDSCPL

Your $15 team to me resembles a Utah Jazz team.:shitstorm:

Dougnsalem likes this.