Favorite Album OF ALL TIME!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mag, May 6, 2006.

1. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

Hoping to stump you guys here. . so pick one (or two..). Favorite Album of all time.

Gonna go with..

1. Parachutes
    <font size="1">2. (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
    3. A Rush of Blood to the Head</font>

Your turn..

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Right now, I'd have to say the Beatles' Abbey Road. It was the album that introduced me to the Beatles, or at least their later works. Up until that point all I had heard from them were songs like "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Drive My Car", etc. Ever since, I've been addicted to all of their post-Revolver albums though. Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is a close runner up, as is The Doors, the band's self-titled album, but I don't consider either of those ahead of Abbey Road because I don't usually treat them as albums. On the whole, I listen to individual tracks from Californication and The Doors way more often than I listen to individual tracks from Abbey Road, but I tend to listen to Abbey Road all the way through more than any other album I own. If that makes any sense...

3. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Hmm..tough. I'm going to go with Nirvana's Nevermind, and Sublime's self titled album. I know some people say Kurt Cobain and Nirvana are overrated, but I could never get tired of this album. And if nobody has heard of Sublime, I suggest listen to a couple of songs. They mix punk, reggae, blues, ska, hip-hop and make a very unique sound.

4. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">Hmm..tough. I'm going to go with Nirvana's Nevermind, and Sublime's self titled album. I know some people say Kurt Cobain and Nirvana are overrated, but I could never get tired of this album. And if nobody has heard of Sublime, I suggest listen to a couple of songs. They mix punk, reggae, blues, ska, hip-hop and make a very unique sound.</div>

People mostly say Nirvana is overrated because when Cobain died all of a sudden people started comparing him to the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and John Lennon, and a lot of people started to consider Nirvana one of the greatest bands in rock history. It's one thing to consider them you're favorite. What's the most pleasing to your ears won't be the most pleasing to someone else's though. When it comes down to technical skill, Cobain was an excellent writer, but he was a horrible guitar player and had a horrible voice, so a lot of these 'music elitists' got pissed off at magazines like Rolling Stone who called him one of the greatest guitar players to live or honors like that.

Personally, I think Cobain is a bit of a coward. Killing himself was unbelievably selfish. He should have thought of his kid. Even if I were suicidal, I don't think I could deprive my child of a father, but I don't want to turn this into a debate on ethics.

Musically, I love Nirvana though, especially Nevermind. Like I said earlier, it doesn't take the most technical skill to play the songs on there, but the song writing by Cobain is some of the best out there. "In Bloom" is one of the most underrated Nirvana songs too, maybe they're best.

Great taste with Sublime. I know their self-titled album is usually regarded as their best work, but I've really grown to like 40 Oz. to Freedom better. I just think it shows all their sides better than any of their later works.

5. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

2Pac Me Against The World
    Marvin Gaye What's Going on
    Mobb Deep The Infamous
    Talib Kweli Reflection Eternal
    Notorious B.I.G. Life After Death
    Third Eye Blind
    Interpol/Antics
    Michael Jackson Thriller
    U2/Achtung Baby

6. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    1) Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
    2) Stone Sour - Stone Sour
    3) Coldplay - Parachutes

7. Bobcats

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">a lot of people started to consider Nirvana one of the greatest bands in rock history.</div>

Were they the most talented? Hell no. (Though Dave Grohl is a sick drummer) Were they one of the most influential? Definitely.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Cobain was an excellent writer</div>

Agreed.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">but he was a horrible guitar player</div>

See, I don't really like when people bring that up about Cobain. You don't have to be a Kirk Hammett type player to make good music. Kurt was an all right guitar player, but his guitar worked perfectly with Grohl and Noveselic. Smells Like Teen Spirit is probably one of the easiest songs to play, but it is very catchy.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">and had a horrible voice</div>

Hmm..not so sure about that. His performance at MTV Unplugged '94 was amazing. I think this was the performance that really showed the critics that he could really sing.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Personally, I think Cobain is a bit of a coward. Killing himself was unbelievably selfish. He should have thought of his kid. Even if I were suicidal, I don't think I could deprive my child of a father, but I don't want to turn this into a debate on ethics.</div>

Yes, killing himself was incredibly stupid and selfish. Which brings me to another point, is that did he really shoot himself? I've done a lot of research on his death, and some things just don't add up. The autopsy shows that he had an incredible amout of Heroin in his system, and it would be almost impossible to even pick up a gun, let alone shoot himself. Second, the supposed suicide note looks very suspicous. At the end of the note, it looks like their are 2 different kinds of handwriting. And third, the shotgun fingerprints wern't legible. Now, I'm not one of those Cobain fanboys who jumps to conclusions and say he was murdered, but something just isn't right when looking at all the facts and evidence. After researching this case, I'm not sure if Cobain was murdered, but I have a very strong feeling somebody else was involved.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Musically, I love Nirvana though, especially Nevermind. Like I said earlier, it doesn't take the most technical skill to play the songs on there, but the song writing by Cobain is some of the best out there. "In Bloom" is one of the most underrated Nirvana songs too, maybe they're best.</div>

Yeah, songs like In Bloom and Come As You Are are just as good as SLTS. I also like the lesser known tracks like 'Lounge Act' and 'On A Plain'.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Great taste with Sublime. I know their self-titled album is usually regarded as their best work, but I've really grown to like 40 Oz. to Freedom better. I just think it shows all their sides better than any of their later works.</div>

Sublime is a great band, and it really sucks that they were really never mainstream. It's really sad that Nowell died right before the band hit it big, which was what he always wanted. Sublime is a great band and just have that perfect sound for when you just wanna sit back and smoke a joint. If you ask me, Nowell could've been just as a big a star as Cobain if he didn't die and made a couple more albums.

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

It doesn't get the love like "Nevermind," but I liked their follow-up album "In Utero" just as much. Solid songs all the way through, like Heart-Shaped Box, Rape, and All Apologies. Cobain's great writing really shone and it almost seemed like they were trying to avoid the mainstream audience.

9. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Ok here we go, they are incredibly diverse and I know i'm going to catch flack for one of them so...

1. Sublime - Sublime
    2. Tupac - Me Against The World
    3. Rascal Flatts - Melt

THATS RIGHT. Rascal Flatts... every single song on this cd is a gem. Ludacris' Word of Mouf is up there too... and despite the Kanye haters on this board, College Dropout was a great CD.

10. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

<font face="Arial Narrow"><font size="2">I love music period. I cant have just one favorite album. Its too damn hard!!! depends on what genre we are talking about. <font color="Black">Here we go....</font><font color="Black">

--Hip Hop--
    Tupac-All Eyez on Me
    Biggie Smallz- Life After Death
    DMX- Its Dark and Hell is Hot
    Mos Def-Black on both Sides
    NAS-Illmatic
    Snoop Dogg-Doggystyle
    Wu-Tang-36 Chambers
    Jay-Z-Reasonable Doubt

--R&B--<font color="mediumorchid"><font face="arial"></font></font></font>
    Aaliyah- One in a Million
    Boyz II Men-Every Album! ( I lost my Virginity to this stuff!)

--Old School--
    Prince-Erotic City
    Stevie Wonder-Ribbons in the Sky

--Heavy Ish--
    Metallica-Justice for All and Master of Puppets

--Reggae--
    Bob Marley-Legends

--Alternative--

Greenday-Basketcase
    No Doubt-Tragic Kingdom
    Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dreams

Cool. I'll stop here for now! haha

</font></font>

11. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">See, I don't really like when people bring that up about Cobain. You don't have to be a Kirk Hammett type player to make good music. Kurt was an all right guitar player, but his guitar worked perfectly with Grohl and Noveselic. Smells Like Teen Spirit is probably one of the easiest songs to play, but it is very catchy.</div>

If Kirt Hammett's your gold standard, then you need to listen to some more music, but aside from that, I know good guitar players, and Cobain wasn't one of them. There's a style of playing referred to as 'minimalistic', and guitarists who have amazing capablities like John Frusciante have embraced this style and focused on writing simple, yet beautiful melodies. Cobain wasn't a minimalist though; he just didn't have the ability to write anything complex, or at least, he never showed it, not once. In fact, he showed a lot of rookie mistakes throughout his career, overlayering his songs with counterproductive noise.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Hmm..not so sure about that. His performance at MTV Unplugged '94 was amazing. I think this was the performance that really showed the critics that he could really sing.</div>

We all like different voices. I'm personally a huge Anthony Kiedis fan. There's no vocalist out there who I'd rather listen to. However, I've got to admit that he's one of the least talented vocalists I've ever heard. In the same light, while I enjoyed Cobain's rough, quirky voice, I don't think there was much talent involved. He sang through pain and that soul added a depth to his vocal quality, but from a technical point of view, he was awful.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, killing himself was incredibly stupid and selfish. Which brings me to another point, is that did he really shoot himself? I've done a lot of research on his death, and some things just don't add up. The autopsy shows that he had an incredible amout of Heroin in his system, and it would be almost impossible to even pick up a gun, let alone shoot himself. Second, the supposed suicide note looks very suspicous. At the end of the note, it looks like their are 2 different kinds of handwriting. And third, the shotgun fingerprints wern't legible. Now, I'm not one of those Cobain fanboys who jumps to conclusions and say he was murdered, but something just isn't right when looking at all the facts and evidence. After researching this case, I'm not sure if Cobain was murdered, but I have a very strong feeling somebody else was involved.</div>

Who knows if he shot himself? Elvis, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, etc. have all been dead for three times as long, and we're still speculating on their deaths. Odds are, we'll never know.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Sublime is a great band, and it really sucks that they were really never mainstream. </div>

Actually, they were pretty mainstream. I remember "What I Got", "Wrong Way", "Santeria", etc. being played nonstop on the radio in '97 or so. I think "What I Got" even went #1.

12. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

In no order:
    Sublim-Sublime
    Tupac- All Eyez on me
    Nirvana- Nevermind
    Guns N Roses- Appetite For Destruction

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, they were pretty mainstream. I remember "What I Got", "Wrong Way", "Santeria", etc. being played nonstop on the radio in '97 or so. I think "What I Got" even went #1.</div>
    They did get sort of mainstream, I still hear lot of them on the radio but I live in California so I'm not sure how well known he is throughout the rest of the country. It does suck that Nowell died before they really hit it big though. Nowell died in May of 96 and most of their hits were mainstream from 96 to 98. Heres a list of their hit singles:

* 1995 "Date Rape"
    * 1996 "What I Got"
    * 1997 "Santeria"
    * 1997 "April 29, 1992 (Miami)"
    * 1997 "Wrong Way"
    * 1997 "Caress Me Down"
    * 1998 "Doin' Time"
    * 1998 "Badfish (Song)"
    Thats from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime_%28band%29

13. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, killing himself was incredibly stupid and selfish. Which brings me to another point, is that did he really shoot himself? I've done a lot of research on his death, and some things just don't add up. The autopsy shows that he had an incredible amout of Heroin in his system, and it would be almost impossible to even pick up a gun, let alone shoot himself. Second, the supposed suicide note looks very suspicous. At the end of the note, it looks like their are 2 different kinds of handwriting. And third, the shotgun fingerprints wern't legible. Now, I'm not one of those Cobain fanboys who jumps to conclusions and say he was murdered, but something just isn't right when looking at all the facts and evidence. After researching this case, I'm not sure if Cobain was murdered, but I have a very strong feeling somebody else was involved. </div>
    I've also read up quite a bit on the subject as well and I think its more likely that he was murdered than that he killed himself. He took something like 3 times the lethal dose of heroine which is absurd, I asked my sister who used to be addicted to heroine and she said even if he had a high tolerance because he was an addict he would probably have been at least unconcious. It just doesnt make sense to take enough heroine to incapacitate and kill yourself AND shoot yourself in the head, of course if there was a murderer it would have been alot easier physically and psychologically to kill him while he was unconcious. I've also read that his arm would have been to short to reach the trigger of the shotgun and he would have had to have pulled the trigger with his toe but he was found dead with both boots on. I don't buy that one very much though.

It does make sense that Courtney Love could have been behind the murder, wasn't Kurt going to divorce her? Her whole career would have gone down the drain and she'd be a nobody, with Cobaine dead she could get alot more money and all of Cobain's stuff plus record sales would boost dramatically with his death. If he did kill himself it was definitely selfish and would fit the actions of a drug addict but I'm still not convinced that he killed himself.

14. Bobcats

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually, they were pretty mainstream. I remember "What I Got", "Wrong Way", "Santeria", etc. being played nonstop on the radio in '97 or so. I think "What I Got" even went #1.</div>

I don't consider them mainstream. I'm not sure if it's where I live, but theirs a lot of people who havn't heard of them, which is a shame, because Nowell was a musical genius.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">It does make sense that Courtney Love could have been behind the murder, wasn't Kurt going to divorce her? Her whole career would have gone down the drain and she'd be a nobody, with Cobaine dead she could get alot more money and all of Cobain's stuff plus record sales would boost dramatically with his death. If he did kill himself it was definitely selfish and would fit the actions of a drug addict but I'm still not convinced that he killed himself.</div>

Yes, it was rumored that Kurt was going to divorce Courtney, and if Kurt was still alive and divorced Courtney back in '94, I highly doubt Love's band Hole would be as famous as they were. I also am also not convinced Cobain killed himself.

15. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

My top 5, in no perticular order.

Tool - Aenema
    Nirvana - Unplugged In NY
    Sublime - Self Titled
    Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

16. Bobcats

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting briang8818:</div><div class="quote_post">My top 5, in no perticular order.

Tool - Aenema
    Nirvana - Unplugged In NY
    Sublime - Self Titled
    Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.</div>

Nice list. Dimebag Darrell was a great guitarist and it's a shame some moron gunned him down.

17. briang8818

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">Nice list. Dimebag Darrell was a great guitarist and it's a shame some moron gunned him down.</div>I'm ashamed it had to happen in my state. It was an enormous loss for the music world.

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">Nice list. Dimebag Darrell was a great guitarist and it's a shame some moron gunned him down.</div>

Agreed, but isn't it annoying how everyone's idealizing him and jumping onto the Pantera bandwagon? It reminds me of when Kurt Cobain died, although not as extreme as that.

They're still a great band though, and that's a solid list. I saw Incubus in concert last September, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. They played mostly their new stuff, which I know a lot of the old Incubus fans can't stand, but I really like both their older and newer material; I like how they've reinvented themselves instead of regurgitating the same old sound until it becomes stale (like Pearl Jam).

19. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

I'll post my top five...

1.) Tool - Lateralus
    2.) King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
    3.) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    4.) Jeff Buckley - Grace
    5.) Adrian Belew - Side Trilogy (One/Two/Three)

20. briang8818

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Agreed, but isn't it annoying how everyone's idealizing him and jumping onto the Pantera bandwagon? It reminds me of when Kurt Cobain died, although not as extreme as that.</div>I don't think it's too bad at all. He is probably better recognized as the guitar god he was, but it's no more admiration than he deserved.