Fifth-round selection rekindles Chargers fandom for UCLA’s Scott Quessenberry

Discussion in 'AFC West' started by truebluefan, Apr 29, 2018.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Even for football fans, the third day of the NFL draft can start to feel like a marathon. Over six hours, the league announces more than 150 picks. Names start to sound unfamiliar. Parrots and droids start popping up on the screen.

For the players, however, no amount of waiting dulls the thrill of hearing their phones ring. On Saturday, few were more ecstatic than Scott Quessenberry.

A four-year starter at UCLA who split his career between guard and center, Quessenberry had grown up a Chargers fan. He was a three-star recruit coming out of La Costa Canyon High, located a half-hour north of the team’s old practice facility in Murphy Canyon. When the Chargers called to select him in the fifth round — 155th overall — those memories came rushing back.

“When they moved — yeah, obviously, a little piece of you is bummed out,” Quessenberry said. “But now, no hard feelings. I’m playing for the Chargers. I’m a Los Angeles Charger. It’s all good.”

A little later, he paused to collect himself: “I’m sorry, I can’t get the grin off my face. I’m so excited.”

The call also sent his mother out the door, off to the nearest Dick’s Sporting Goods to re-stock on Chargers gear. They had plenty of old merchandise, sure — but it all read “San Diego.”

Maureen Quessenberry wasn’t the only parent who moved quickly. In the sixth round, the Chargers drafted Texas Tech’s Dylan Cantrell, selecting the 6-foot-3, 226-pound receiver at No. 191. For some reason, they couldn’t get through to his phone. So they called his mother instead, and she ran across the backyard to tell him.

read more https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/...chargers-fandom-for-uclas-scott-quessenberry/