Fire Stotts Eventually

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Dec 20, 2016.

?

How good do you think Terry Stotts is a s a coach?

1. Top 5

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. Top 10

44 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Top 20

35 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Needs to go!

51 vote(s)
    33.1%
  5. He's the very best!

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Lets hope he continues to improve.

13 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I just see that argument made all the time, and I dont think people realize how hard the timing is to run a play and get a good shot off at the buzzer. The defense is in all out denial the last couple seconds if the person with the ball isn't a threat. Any pass is a chance for a turnover the other way.

2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    But honesty the whole idea of you have to get the very last shot of a quarter is kind of crazy. So you run a good play and get a good shot with 1 second left, let them take the low percentage shot. I kind of get it at the end of a game, but most of the team, I’d rather be the team taking and getting good looks then the time heaving contested, or very low percentage shots. Yeah Dame can make that .9 second shot, but I’d rather take my chances on a team / player making that type of shot then play bad offense just so I can say I got the last attempt, at least in most situations. I know that doesn’t always apply.

3. BonesJones

It's hard to get a good shot out of a play in a specific 2 second window. I think you'd have guys not getting shots off in time and guys like Aminu having the ball with the last second option being guarded and him having to shoot some wild step back. There's a reason why they let Dame iso.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    dviss1 likes this.
  4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I'm fine with it:

BonesJones likes this.
  5. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Everyone loves Dames ability to hit clutch shots. I would and have watched them all night because the dudes got a gift!

We have to admit though that there are a lot of times it doesn’t work. No I don’t want Aminu trying a step back anything.
    So yeah I’m always happy when it goes in, but overall I would just be happier with motion and some ball movement at the end of the game.
    Gotta remember for all the clutch moments Jordan had, he made some clutch passes too. Of course he was passing to guys like Steve Kerr, not Aminu lol - but my point is I just think running plays to get good shots would have a better overall chance to win.

Who knows it’s not going to change anytime soon lol.

HailBlazers likes this.
  6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You give the ball to your best player in the clutch and you tell him to make a play. It's how it's always been.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

He made the right play after drawing the defense.

BonesJones and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Its great when it goes and Ive noticed teams are ready for it now so they press or double the one who's to take the shot and many times a wide open high percentage bucket is missed.
    I know its the current flavor of the league to let your star shake and bake and play hero ball to live and die by.

9. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I know it’s not going anywhere, but even on the Jordan shot there was at least an open man on the wing.

The 1-4 gives your best best player almost no flexibility of things don’t go well.

Of course I want my clutch shots taken by Dame or CJ if they get a look they like.

The media used to dog on LBJ for making the right basketball plays to get guys open shots, but to me he almost always made the right play, because he created good shots. I know Dame is special, at making those shots, but he’s missed a lot too, and there have been times where a defender has made him take a shot he didn’t ‘want’ to take, but there was literally no one else open because they were all standing around watching, I really don’t like it.

I realize me not liking it doesn’t mean much, but I am of the opinion we’d get more great clutch moments if we put our players in better situations to have good looks at the basket.

BBert and tester551 like this.
  10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Lol at calling last shots hero ball. They may be heroic but it's not "hero ball".

BonesJones likes this.
  11. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I don't remember doing that... I define hero ball more or less by when one guy decides he's going to try to win the game by himself, and sometimes our guards do that. In fact some games it works, I remember a phoenix game last season that Dame pretty much took over because the rest of the team stunk and he pulled it out.
    I don't necessarily think think the end of game / quarter situation or play calling is hero - ball and if I said that I mis-spoke (typed? heh), but it 'can' be I guess. I just think it's kind of ugly offense, and yeah it produces some amazing moments but when they miss or fail to get a good shot off it is pretty not-amazing.

You seem to be on the side of liking it, or thinking it's the right way to play and that's fine it's your opinion, I respect it, I just see it differently.

12. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I should've quoted @Hoopguru.

TorturedBlazerFan and Hoopguru like this.
  13. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

To me it depends on the situation. If I'm down by one, then I might like to have the ball in Dame's hands, try and run a play for a layup or dunk, but if that doesn't easily materialize then let Dame take what he can get. If I'm down by three, or two and we need to finish the game, then I want Dame to hero it up. Give him as much help (screens, etc.) as is fitting depending on who the opponent and defender are, but Dame takes the shot.

dviss1 likes this.
  14. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I think that is @TorturedBlazerFan issue. Dame (or CJ) play 1v1 while the other players stand around. There really isn't a "play" being run.

Hoopguru likes this.
  15. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I think the question is "is it better to have Dame, a screen and two defenders; or to have Dame in isolation with one defender?" I would still say it depends on the situation. Dame is pretty good at freeing himself up for the long three if he has time. If time is limited then more likely he will need to be on the move using screens (right Houston?).

My only gripe is if you are tied or only down by one, then I would much rather see a creative play run than see Dame or CJ in isolation.

BBert, dviss1 and Hoopguru like this.
  16. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I'm a bit surprised people are complaining about this. We incredibly have TWO(!!!!!!!!!!) players who can get a good shot at the end of games and have had success doing it. AND they want to take those shots. I'd guess the vast majority of players in the league prefer (although I'd doubt they admit it) not to have to face that pressure, that or can't handle it.

What bothers me is late game DEFENSIVE execution. Yikes.

Hoopguru likes this.
  17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

A few time last year the opposing team with the ball and the last shot and the offensive player stands and dribbles time off while we hold back and wait for his move, rather than jump out at him and try and disrupt the last play or shot.

Propagandist likes this.
  18. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    If they have so much success why are they at the bottom "in field goal percentages when winning by one possession with under two minutes to play"? Do they just make the shots when we are losing in the last two minutes?

19. BonesJones

Small sample size.

20. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    The sample size is big enough to say they're good, but too small to say they're bad.