Fire Stotts Eventually

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Dec 20, 2016.

?

How good do you think Terry Stotts is a s a coach?

1. Top 5

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. Top 10

44 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Top 20

35 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Needs to go!

51 vote(s)
    33.1%
  5. He's the very best!

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Lets hope he continues to improve.

13 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The poll, Cup. The poll. On the thread which was started December 2016. :banghead:

BonesJones likes this.
  2. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    And why do you assume i didn't know that?:clap:

Can't a guy have a little fun?

3. PtldPlatypus

If intentionally pretending to be obtuse is your idea of fun, more power to you. But it makes attempting to have a conversation frustrating for the rest of us.

BonesJones likes this.
  4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    So the subject at hand, I think Stotts is an ok coach, the biggest positive I see is that he has a lot of continuity with Dame and CJ. He did get the team to play better defense last year.

If we made a new poll for this I would probably say to fire him, but giving him another year seems like it’s probably the right thing to do.

5. CupWizier

retired
    A bit of an over reaction here.if my couple posts are that frustrating for some then maybe they need to find a much more tranquil forum to participate in. I was n't the one that brought this thread life and my original post about the percentages was meant mostly tongue in cheek, but i stand by my numbers as in that poll you can't project how many if any would vote no on Stotts. There was only one category for that. :smiley-smiley-049:

6. PtldPlatypus

Just an observation. I like to have conversations. It's tough to have conversations with people who...aren't.

7. CupWizier

retired
    So do i and i feel you calling me obtuse with my posts was unwarranted and unnecessary unless your intent was to be confrontational. I know my posts were not intended to be "obtuse".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  8. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    So cup, how do you feel about Stotts right now? If you were the gm or owner how would you view Stotts and the coaching staff?

9. CupWizier

retired
    I have said it several times that I feel Stotts deserves another year and then re-evaluated at the end of the year and then a decision can be made to either continue or go in a different direction.

10. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Sorry for making you repeat yourself.
    Anyways, yeah that kind of seems fair to me.
    I kind of feel like Stotts has proven to be a good regular season coach the last few years, but the playoffs have looked not so good. I realize a couple of those years they ran into a brick wall in GS. The pelicans though...

I feel like changing coaches is an easier route to go then trying to make roster moves and could provide a shake up for them. Especially in a summer where they really didn’t do anything.

While they could do better, they could always do worse too.

BonesJones, Chris Craig and CupWizier like this.
  11. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I have been on the fire stotts bandwaggon because his playoff coaching. He is a good coach during the regular season. Blazers might as well give him a bit longer. There isn't anyone better to hire at the moment.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Stotts is an awesome coach...we're lucky to have him. He's praised by coaches all around the league..Pops, Kerr, on and on..I hope he coaches here for a long, long time.

13. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I don’t really agree that Stotts is an awesome coach. Do I think he’s a good guy? Yeah. I never know what to make out of coaches ‘praising each other’, they very rarely don’t say nice things about the other team and the coach. It does two things, make it so bridges aren’t burned, but also if you praise them and win you just beat a good team / coach. If you bash them and LOSE then you look bad too.

I’m kind of surprised to see someone that high on him. Which maybe I shouldn’t be They were the 3 seed this year and the defense got much better.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm enjoying this era of Blazer basketball...no complaints really at all. Any coach that can rebuild a roster after losing 4 core players and make the playoffs is doing something right...I'd have hated to be a Philly fan or Wolves fan for the last decade. My list of tough to watch Blazer teams doesn't have this team even listed. I'd like a big man coach...that's about it without making some major trade for the unibrow, etc

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Hoopguru likes this.
  15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Okay. I'm ready. I've turned the corner. I don't care if there isn't a better option or not. Ill take a worse option just to shake things up and light a fire.

I don't want to hear about how Stotts is a good coach but can only work with what he has when we keep jumping out to leads ( proving we have enough), but then cant play chess when the other team adjusts to us.

I'm tired of the neck yanking of Vonleh and now Layman. How can any coach expect consistency out of a player when you give him inconsistent court time????

I think we have enough (offensive) talent on this roster and it is not being utilized to its maximum potential.

Before we gut or make major roster changes, I want to see what a defensive minded coach who can scheme and adjust in games can do with this roster.

I would like to see this done soon, so we have time before the deadline to see what the team is under another coach for 20 games or so so we can make some decisions at the trade deadline as to which direction to go... cause we aren't going any where currently.

dviss1, BonesJones, hoopsjock and 4 others like this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The problem with firing stotts midseason is you’re forced to hand the team over to one of his assistants. Are we sure anything would change?

17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Either Tibbetts or DV are pretty highly regarded. The question is, what do we even want in a new coach?

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I'm okay with it because its not about this season anymore. It's putting a new face/scheme in front of the players to see how they do.
    I could be wrong, but when Kaleb took over after Nate was fired, didn't we run hot for a bit?

BonesJones likes this.
  19. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I do think Stotts is a good coach, but he seems to have lost the team. He will be successful somewhere else likely, but not in Portland. Would love to see one of the assistants take over and maybe be told to get the young guns more burn.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

He has not lost the team. At all.

When a coach loses a team, it is obvious. Like when we got spanked by 40 in NYC the day Gerald Wallace and Marcus Camby (and Felton) led a mutiny. This team fought and clawed its way to try to win two nights in a row. It's not indicative of a roster that is ignoring its coach.

dviss1, Orion Bailey and JDC like this.