#FireOlshey is a thing on Twitter

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    There's at least 100 different Twitter users who've jumped onto the Olshitty bandwagon.

Do you think Neil even knows/cares that he's, in all likelihood, the most despised person in Portland right now?

The only thing that can top the Twitter rage at Neil is a freaking billboard off of Burnside. *I have an idea* S2 ought to start a GoFundMe to finance this endeavor.

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I think Neil loves to be despised. He is one of those guys that just doesn't give two shits. Probably gets off on fans railing on him.

tykendo likes this.
  3. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    I bet he masterbates to critical tweets, he just seems like that sorta dude.

Chris Craig likes this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    He knows, I think his job is on the line. If training camp comes with no more changes, Damian is going to have another meeting with Paul....

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I find this highly unlikely.

6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

As it should be.

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This is when GMs make panic moves.

Like SVG trading for Blake. I'd honestly be OK with such a panic move, fwiw. It's better than nothing. How much worse can our cap situation get?

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  8. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Or...

Olshey knows that the right play here is to be patient and not sign someone desperately just to sign someone (EVAN TURNER UGH), despite what that makes people think of him. There are teams getting hard capped (like the Bucks), teams that are in really bad financial situations (like the Thunder and Wizards), and teams that were expected to be big players this summer and are striking out (like the 76ers). There are also teams out there that will need to cut salary at some point. I know no one wants to hear this strategy but as teams like the Lakers and Suns use up their cap space the TPE gets more and more valuable.

9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

You have more confidence in Neil's ability to show restraint than I do. This is the same guy who was gonna give 90+ mil to Chandler Parsons, the same guy who was going to give Nurk a "huge" contract before last season started, etc etc.

10. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Once Neil got his extension, he wanted to be fired....

Chris Craig likes this.
  11. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    As an Olshey apologist, I feel like this year is different. Previously, he made it clear that he's all about VALUE. I appreciate than, I am too. This year though he admitted to not being aggressive enough last year, and he PROMISED that he was going to get a (I forgot the exact term he used) substantial vet. People, including me, get understandably upset when you promise something, and don't deliver.
    #dontmakepromisesyourbodycantkeep

@hoopsjock Jock, sure, the right move could be just around the corner, and it totally makes sense that that's the right time. However, the same thing could be said at different times last offseason and at the trade deadline. I'm going to remain patient until the end of the month. However, if the TPE expires, and nothing happens, I will be upset, everyone will be.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

#FireOlshey

13. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Well, we don't know what a "huge" offer entails or if that is just posturing. I'm not going to speculate on that. However, he did say that his approach to hanging on to assets was probably a mistake so there is a chance he has learned from previous wrongdoings.

14. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Those benefits have nothing to do with letting Davis walk for $4 million.

Luxury tax is the only reason. I blame Neil but also Paul Allen

BonesJones likes this.
  15. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I will be right there leading the parade and providing pitchforks if Olshey doesn't get something done this summer. What I don't get is killing him over 36 hours of free agency when every single person knew we had at best the tax-MLE to use (and still do). It's like people actually thought Paul George or LeBron were going to sign here. There has to be a reason Davis was not retained for so cheap. If that reason turns out to be just to save a few dollars then I will be more vocal about how bullshit this is than anyone.

16. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I really hope #Olshitty takes off soon.

17. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    So you know for a fact that is the "only" reason? There are so many other potential reasons. What if they have a deal for someone better? What if they need that $4.4 million to stay under the apron after getting hard capped because they want to attempt a sign and trade or use the full-MLE? What if Davis wanted to be back but wasn't willing to sign a one year deal for that cheap with us and only did so with Brooklyn because he knew he could put up better numbers on a bad team? What if the Blazers simply want a different type of backup center that can open up the floor more? What if they wanted to give Collins a bigger role and more minutes and Davis wanted to be back but not with his role reduced?

If it is simply about paying less tax then I will certainly be with you, but we don't know that yet.

18. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

But it's not over 36hrs of free agency. It's his track record over the last 6 years!
    Just because more people are reaching their breaking point, doesn't mean his history here doesn't matter.

19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I get that there is a group of people who have hated Olshey for years but what I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to me that the people who were indifferent or liked him are now turning on him because of free agency. It's like they've never experienced a free agency period as a Blazer fan. This is how it always is and to expect something more this year is on those people for having completely ridiculous expectations.

Hoopguru likes this.
  20. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    The reason could just be that he can't shoot. No one wanted him. The nets just took him to keep their cap space for next year. Dollars to donuts he isn't a Net in the 2019-2020 season.