OT First man to cross Antarctica solo

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by borim69, Dec 27, 2018.

1. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

https://apnews.com/8a44f393f98a4b43bacf5034e398d796
    I first heard about this in 2016 about the guy who died that is mentioned in the article. I did not know the guy from Portland was even attempting it. Since I was 18 I have been trying to get to Antarctica I did not want to go on a cruise I wanted to go there for work but I was passed over a couple of times through the military and other civilian jobs. I could have went with a Canadian Company but the odds were against me unless I became a citizen. So I will take my 15 years in the Arctic and be happy

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You've been to the arctic?

3. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    You can get there if you don't mind doing some volunteer work without pay. I knew a guy who did that.

riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  4. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    You haven't?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    riverman and MARIS61 like this.
  6. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

I pulled my sled full of gear up to my camp it the mountains this weekend. It was cold and it sucked but it was not an entire continent. How the fuck does one accomplish this? I mean I'm really interested in the in and out logistics of it all. I didn't think it was at all possible. My water jugs were freezing before I got a chance to drink them. Without a fire to thaw food and water and keep warm I think I would have frozen in the night. There are no fires to be had in Antarctica.

riverman and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  7. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    My best friend (besides my wife) has stayed in The Arctic region of Sweden this year and plans to go back to live there on January 15th. The town of 17,000 people is Karuna located 180 miles North of the Arctic circle. This town sits on the largest Iron Ore mine in Europe. The town has to be moved due to it's proximity to this mine. He is going to work for this German couple who created a dog sled business. He retired from the hydraulic-pneumatic industry here and dislikes the way this country is going. His contact and new friend is the architect involved in the planned town relocation. She is remarkable in her own right as she once was a captain in the Latvian army and has a degree in architecture.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    riverman and borim69 like this.
  8. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Fuck that. I hate 40 and breezy like we're having today.

9. borim69

Solid fuel pellets same stuff they use mountain climbing. Always take Magnesium with you as well. The shavings create their own oxygen and will not stop burning until fuel is consumed. good to have in your emergency kit as well. Look for blue ice to melt since it is a sign of fresh water. You burn more calories in the cold then in the heat this is why this has not been done before I am sure by the time he was finished his body was eating his muscle mass to stay warm. He had 375 pounds of gear and food. He had to be in great shape (duh) but he also had to have a good layer of fat as well. The guys that went Dahl Sheep hunting in Alaska gave me a few pointers the trip is brutal but the meat is worth it when cooked right.
    My Avatar is the Northern lights in Fairbanks. I spent about 6 years in Barrow Alaska, 3 in Nome Alaska and another 6 in Fairbanks. I worked in aviation when I got out of the military. I worked with NASA up there and an outfit that was measuring the polar icecap. Mostly though I worked for a couple of airlines (puddle jumpers). I am not a hunter but I am not opposed to it. PETA in Alaska means People Eating Tasty Animals.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  10. borim69

LOL maybe if I was interning for something. I have a friend who got out of high school in Alaska and was kicking around when the Exxon Valdez happened he went out there to clean up ducks and what not and now he is one of the top EPA officials in Wyoming. Never took one day of college always learned on the job. There is merit to volunteering.

11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I worked a fight for HBO in Buenos Aires a couple summers ago. Could not believe how close we were to Antarctica. A couple co workers stuck around and took a cruise down there. Always wish I had. I would have thrown a Sheed jersey on a penguin and got that Wear in The World shot!

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My favorite relative lived most of his adult life in New Zealand...married a local girl in the 1950's in port on leave from Project Deep Freeze in Antarctica...he worked for about 20 years between there and Christchurch. If I wanted to work in Antarctica, I'd check out companies working out of New Zealand. I have his Medal awarded from the Project from the Navy...it's actually more of a silver dollar sized commemorative coin but it was awarded as a medal.

13. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!