First Round to Expand to 7 Games

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Big D, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

Thought this was pretty interesting. It will be announced tonight that the first round of the playoffs, starting this year, will be a best-of-7 series, rather than a best-of-5. There are also some other minor changes that will take effect.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-e...ov=ap&type=lgns

2. Mel JBB

Mel JBB JBB Webmaster

daaaamn, looks like the nba really wants to milk the cash cow.

here's a quote from ESPN.com
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Players, league agree to best-of-7 first round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Chad Ford
    ESPN Insider

ATLANTA -- The NBA Players' Association ended an ongoing feud with the NBA on Saturday. But both sides may be on the verge of an even bigger war in the coming months.

Two league sources told ESPN.com on Saturday that the union had agreed to expand the first round of the playoffs to a best-of-7 format. Until this season, the first round of the NBA playoffs had been a best-of-5 format. The changes are expected to go into effect this season.

The move was called "unprecedented" by one union member who wished to go unnamed. "After years of fighting, we're finally talking to the league again," he said. "I think it's a big step in the right direction."

The league is expected to make the official announcement tonight at a 6:40 p.m. news conference in Atlanta.

The league gave up several concessions to the players in return. First, training camps will be shortened over the next few years. This fall, camps will be three days shorter. Next fall, an additional five days will be cut from the training camp schedule.

The league also agreed to increase the amount players are paid for the playoffs. This year the pool will increase from $8 million dollars to $8.75 million. Next year, the pool will increase to $8.875 million. In 2005, the pool will go up to $9 million.</div>

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0208/1506023.html

3. jbbKnicks

jbbKnicks JBB JustBBall Member

I think it a pretty good rule change gives teams more chances.

4. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

Now maybe the T wolves will be able to pass the first round. I like that they changed it. More games to watch more action.

5. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

i like it because of more games. The owners like it becasue of more $$$

6. Online

Online JBB JustBBall Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CHA-CHING$$$$$$$$$$$$ Mo Basketball. I love it!