Five battle to back up Iannetta as Rockies' catcher

Discussion in 'National League West' started by truebluefan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

"The Rockies' catcher of the future is in camp, but he might not play defense once this spring.

Double-A star Wilin Rosario is easing back into shape after undergoing knee surgery, leaving Chris Iannetta to rehab his career as the Rockies' starter.

What if Iannetta struggles in April, when he's a career .199 hitter in 47 games? Then what? Or more specifically, then who?

"We don't have an answer yet," manager Jim Tracy said. "It's an open competition."

It's more like "American Idol" auditions. There are no fewer than five candidates — Jose Morales, Matt Pagnozzi, Mike McKenry, Chad Moeller and Jordan Pacheco — who have started.

Morales, who was behind the plate Monday, is considered the slight favorite to win the backup job. He can hit, with a .286 average in 621 minor-league games. Almost on cue, he doubled and scored in the second inning.

However, Morales, acquired from the Twins, doesn't fit the traditional backup profile of a catch-and-throw guy. He is a converted shortstop who is still learning the nuances of catching. He dropped a popup in the fourth inning Monday and threw wide on a stolen-base attempt, but also fired a dart to second in the seventh inning.

"I know I have to get better," said Morales, 28. "I will continue to work at every facet. But I really like my chances here."

Matt Pagnozzi, a 28-year-old former Cardinals farmhand, prepared for his chance by watching extensive videos this winter of the Rockies' staff. He has never had a clear path to a backup job and wasn't about to squander this."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_17561071