Fizer and Best to the Nets?

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by Kid Canada, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

I just was on realgm and it said Fizer and Best could sign with the Nets next week. I think Fizer would be a solid pickup and I would like to see what he could do as a starting power forward.

2. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

Fizer, if he can stay healthy, would be a good pick up for the Nets, particularly after the loss of Martin. Keep in mind though, that him staying healthy is a big disclaimer.

Best, I'm not sure why NJ would want him, unless they want to limit Kidd's minutes or he's going to be traded.

3. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Although the Nets are staying positive, Best is insurance for Kidd if Kidd's recovery from his surgery takes longer than expected. A third string PG is the safest bet. Also, they probably should watch his minutes even if he is ready to go. No matter what shape you're in, you get worn down after a season, and being worn down increases chances of injury. Thus, it's good protection for their investment.

4. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Fizer will be a great pickup at power forward. He gives strength down low and can rebound well too. He's a poor man's KMart IMO. As for Best, he'd be best served as a third-stringer, but still has the veteran savvy to be a good starter.

5. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">He's a poor man's KMart IMO.</div>
    Probably more of a hobo's K-Mart with no defense :P lol

Fizer is a good scorer, he was out of shape last year though. When he's healthy, he's a force.I'd love to see Fizer here. Best would be a decent pickup as well.

6. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

I hope they pick up Fizer. I also hope he stays healthy. He needs some PT so he can warrant a 4th overall pick, or atleast a top 15 pick! I think that if he gets some shots he'll put up the numbers. He'll have to be in shape though if Kidd is still there at the point because he's gunna be doing some running!

7. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Fizer was one of my favorite players on the Bulls when healthy I still see him becoming a very talented possible15 poin scorer a game in the future in the NBA if he stays healthy (a bit bias). He is a proven scorer when healthy and if he gets the minutes will produce I wish him nothing, but luck in NJ. Is it just me or is NJ cleaning out all the former Bulls orginization players and coaches Cartwright now Fizer.

8. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

^ And they also got Mercer, who was on the Bulls. I thought the same thing, lol.

I do think Fizer can be a 15 ppg scorer, he just needs to get his ass into shape. If he continues being overweight, the future isnt lookin' good for Fizer.

9. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

I like the potenial in both pickups to be honest Best is need because of Kidd expectation of being out till December.And his minutes will still be limit when he returns. So best will be needed in either a major backup role or starting role even to start the season, because I like Vaughn as a backup but I dont think he can produce enuff as a starter to hold the position down until kidd gets ready to take over.

And Marcus Fizer right now would be a leading candiate to start, but I dont know about the K-Mart comparsions you guys are throwing around. Fizer defense and verstilty doesnt even come close to that of Martin. But Fizer will provide the Nets with some legitimate frontline points, something that looks kind of shakey right now.

A bigman rotation of Marcus Fizer, A-train, Jason Collins, and Zo with Davis & Kristic to fill in when needed, doesnt look all that bad to me.

I like both pickups, if Best is only for this season.

Oh and Pure Skillz and Obie, you cats had Kendall Gill last year(after his one year in Minny) and now you guys got Dikembe, so I guess both teams like picking up the other teams former players lol.

10. Next Level Game

Next Level Game JBB JustBBall Member

I'd rather pick up Keon Clark than Fizer. Our front court defense is looking horrible as it is and with Marcus, it can only get worse. I rather see Keon Clark and Eddie Griffin signed. As for Best, what are we going to do with Zoran? Have we given up on him completely? Or is he going to permanantly become a swingman?

11. Henacy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting nextlevelgame:</div><div class="quote_post">I'd rather pick up Keon Clark than Fizer. Our front court defense is looking horrible as it is and with Marcus, it can only get worse. I rather see Keon Clark and Eddie Griffin signed. As for Best, what are we going to do with Zoran? Have we given up on him completely? Or is he going to permanantly become a swingman?</div>

I dont think that we are giving up on Zoran completely, I just think their is still alot of questions on what position he is fit to play at this level. I think that he will be used in a combo role right now, until the coaching staff and front office get a better feel of what position he fits better playing.

As far as Eddie Griffen goes, in the last Rob Thorn chat on NBA.com, he said that E-Griff is far from being ready to return to the league. He probably wont be with the team for the start of the season Iam thinking he may join sometime during the middle of the year, his mind state so be pretty clear by that time. And also we would have had the chance to get a feel of exactly what we have on our frontline.

I can understand your point about having Clark over Fizer for Defensive reasons & I agree. But there is two reasons why I would chose Fizer.the main reason, Clark had problems with his ankles, which probably was due to the fact that he & his ankles are so thin, well if Clark has weak ankles then the problem he has will never go away. He will more then likely continue to miss time do to ankle sprains & bone spurs etc. That in my opinion makes Fizer the safer choice even tho he missed half the season last year.

The another reason I chose Fizer is because this year the Nets will be forced to ball alot more half court, with Kidd missing until december and then needing time once hje returns to once again become close to his old self again. So we probably wont see Kidd at a high level until close to or after the all-star break, which means we need productivity in the half court. And I think Fizer will be more effective for us in the halfcourt.

12. onetwo88

onetwo88 JBB JustBBall Member

Fizer would be a great addition, he can come off the bench and bust people's heads and score a few buckets and sit down

13. Henacy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting onetwo88:</div><div class="quote_post">Fizer would be a great addition, he can come off the bench and bust people's heads and score a few buckets and sit down</div>

It seems like the Fizer deal might be a ways off due to his knee re-hab, but it seems like the signing of Travis Best is a bit closer. I see Best joining the team before the start of training camp. So he can have training camp & the enter preseason to get use to running the motion offense.Fizer if he does sign would probably come right before the start of the season.

But anyway here is a Travis Best and Marcus Fizer Update by The New York Post.

14. Ma3oxuct

Ma3oxuct Nets Preview Team

The last time I saw Travis Best play, he was all washed up and injured, I am not so sure that he can come to the Nets and play to any excpectations...I would rather like to see Zoran get more playing time and experiance.

15. GjonC

GjonC JBB JustBBall Member

Nah!!! travis is better than zoran!
    anyways just wanted to drop a line for the nets(lotta luv), yall ready for brooklyn!!

16. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

It would be nice if Best and Fizer would join them. They need a backup for Kidd and more depth in the front court.