Exclusive Forensic Fan (abbreviated), Game 35 (v. LAL, 1/5/15)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BrianFromWA, Jan 7, 2015.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

An Abbreviated Forensic Fan, Game 35 (v. LAL, 1/5/15)

From the top
    : A close game all the way through—a 600+ post game thread—and K*be’s Ewing Theory potential added up to some increased sales for Pepto Bismol and some increased SportsCenter Highlight Time for Damian.

Player of the Game:
    Damian Lamonte Ollie Lillard, come on down! With 16 points in the 4th quarter (39 overall—and the Blazers needed just about every single one of them) to go along with 6 rebounds and five assists. He scored from deep, he scored at the rim. He took advantage of favorable matchups. He helped bring the team back from 12 down, and did it when just about everyone else couldn’t throw the ball into the ocean. And when it became Lillard Time, basically, he...

[​IMG]

Monster Games: LMA had a 21/8 game, and Kaman had 8pts and 11 rebounds, but today’s non-Lillard Monster Game goes to Meyers Leonard for his first double-double since March 30, 2013 (where the starting lineup of Lillard/Wes/Batum/Hickson/Leonard and in which Eric Maynor, Will Barton and Nolan Smith combined for a -48 as GSW won 125-98). 12 points and 12 rebounds (many of them one-armed—we’ll call these “fugitives” from now on) in 19 minutes. Go on, big fella, you earned it.

[​IMG]

Points Per Shot: 8 of the 10 players who played shot under 50%; and man, it’s a rough day when you can put up 39 on 21 shots (1.85pps) and not win the efficiency award, but it’s also great to see someone only shoot when wide open and make 4 of his 5 shots for 12 points (helped out by 3-4 3s). I feel bad leaving Dame out (as well as letting Leonar_ win two of the categories), so with your permission I’ll equivocate a bit on this one.

[​IMG]

Coin Ratio: Not a ton of assists to go around last night (at 18, tied for the lowest compilation we’ve had on the season). Dame had 5 on 21 shots for just under a quarter, Blake had 3 on 6 shots (for a nice 50 cents) and Nic chipped in 33 cents. But special mention has to go to Kaman, who recovered from his first-quarter shot chart (below):
    [​IMG]

to end up with 3 assists on 8 shots, and he was burgled from on 2 possessions back-to-back in the 3rd where he dropped passes off to wide-open LMA for missed Js. But even though the thought doesn’t count for the NBA or the box score, sometimes Forensic Fan has to jump a bit farther in.

[​IMG]

Yes, yes I did. Keep it up.

Weird Stat of the Day
    : Damian Lillard (88% FT) had 2 of the Blazers’ 3 FT misses.

Questions for the Group:

1. There’s already an 80-post thread on Jermaine O’Neal and his potential here, but I want to go a little deeper...do you want to be a place that the Jermaines and Ray Allens and (formerly) Robert Horrys and Juwan Howards go to ring-shop on veteran minimum contracts? Do you see that as flattering (hey, even the players think we’re close to winning!) or would you rather just say “stay off the bandwagon, you didn’t want to sign here and build something, but now you want a ring?”

2. If Meyers were a 6’10” PF named, say, “Leonard Outlaw” who was raw but showed the ability to shoot from deep and rebound when motivated, would you think differently than if you saw a 7’1” guy and wondered why he wasn’t the second coming of Joel Przybilla?

3. If the only choices are “stand pat, make zero moves this season in terms of trades/waivers/free agents” (let it bake) or “big, splashy trade where one or more starters goes away for someone hopefully better”, which do you take?

upload_2015-1-7_13-12-46.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. BrianFromWA

and a bonus: K*be wanted no part of Portland. He just stayed home, and went to Staples instead. We got some footage.
    [​IMG]

3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Never participated in one of these before, so I'll take a stab at your 3 questions.

1) I absolutely want guys to want to come ring shopping here. Obviously, you sign them on a case by case basis, but if older guys are looking at it as a place they can win, bigger names potentially could as well. Never a bad thing.

2) While height might be one of the issues in seeing that comparison, I think more than anything, most fans viewed him in the Przybilla role because of what we perceived was the best fit alongside LMA. A rolo type, more than offensive guy. That being said, I think he has the potential to maybe be a better rebounding Channing Frye. He needs way more minutes than we otherwise can provide to get that court awareness down.

3) I want to say let it bake, few minor bench additions, adn I think we're a title contender. Hell, I think we are now. But, as always, the cost and the target always change that view. Maybe instead of playing with tubby PF and score first PG in Cleveland, Lebron decides he'd prefer to play with a better PG and better PF...well, then you look at splashy.

4. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

Questions for the Group:

1. As a longtime Blazer fan who has seen to worst of the worst and the low of the lows I would love for this team just do it themselves and say F Off to those players. Unfortunately the questions is, Can we? Healthy and consistent play for our current players could do it I believe. Unfortunately at this point we havent had either this season. The other question is does management believe we can win it THIS year as opposed to the next 2-3 years?

2. I think you make a great point about Meyers. Those 2-3 inches in height really changes people perspectives. I think he has proven we need to embrace who he is or being sorely disappointed in what want him to be

3. Im leaning towards the stand pat for now but I could be talked into the right move if Lillard and LMA are cool with it.

5. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Great thread once again Brian!!!!

QUESTIONS:
    1.) I don't mind players wanting to come to Portland to ring shop. I think it's flattering and helpful. We are a strong team, but we lack playoff experience. We need a couple savvy vets with tons of playoff experience to teach our core how to win in the playoffs!

2.) I only want Leonard to be focused on his assignments. I think the game will eventually come to him. I only get frustrated when he's blowing defensive and rebounding position. Keep your head in the game and you can stay on the floor!

3.) I am on the "Stand Pat" position. I don't think the signing of Jermaine or Ray mid season signings are the splash moves you are talking about.

6. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Tough questions!

1. There’s already an 80-post thread on Jermaine O’Neal and his potential here, but I want to go a little deeper...do you want to be a place that the Jermaines and Ray Allens and (formerly) Robert Horrys and Juwan Howards go to ring-shop on veteran minimum contracts? Do you see that as flattering (hey, even the players think we’re close to winning!) or would you rather just say “stay off the bandwagon, you didn’t want to sign here and build something, but now you want a ring?”
    I suppose I like the fact that "ring shoppers" would want to sign with us. But I'm not stoked about Jerm.

2. If Meyers were a 6’10” PF named, say, “Leonard Outlaw” who was raw but showed the ability to shoot from deep and rebound when motivated, would you think differently than if you saw a 7’1” guy and wondered why he wasn’t the second coming of Joel Przybilla?
    Yes?

3. If the only choices are “stand pat, make zero moves this season in terms of trades/waivers/free agents” (let it bake) or “big, splashy trade where one or more starters goes away for someone hopefully better”, which do you take?
    Oof. Trading a starter makes this a very tough question. I'm definitely in favor of making a trade, but would like to keep the starting unit untouched. But since the question is about standing pat OR trading a starter, I guess I would have to at least consider trading a stater. But it would be entirely dependent on what the actual trade is. For instance - swapping LMA and Cousins would be incredible! And while that's highly unlikely (for either team to pursue), after the NYK/OKC/CLE trade I have to wonder how available Melo is. His hurting knee makes me quite leery, and I'm not even convinced that he'd be better for our team than a "career average Nic". Still, once the Playoffs hit it could be nice to have someone with his scoring ability. I'd love it if there was a way to acquire him without trading Nic, but our non-starters salaries just won't make it work. (And then there's the whole issue of Melo being on my favorite team...)

7. magnifier661

Cousins has proven that he only plays well with a certain type of coach. The firing of Malone exposed Cousins... I want no part of that.

8. BrianFromWA

Great point on Melo, and I almost had him as an example.

Nic/Robinson/Wright/picks works. Will NYK take it (or Melo accept it)? Dunno. But even if you said "take the next few months off/get surgery/whatever" and be ready for the playoffs, that's a big gamble, and not one I think is needed.

9. magnifier661

If you get Melo, it would be hard to have Aldridge. I don't think they can co-exist, IMO. They both make their living on the mid-range game. Melo is a much more efficient Mid-range shooter, but I suspect he isn't much of a team player. I question his "cancer factor", forcing his way out of Denver and not working well with his current teammates.

10. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if/when Nic returns to his typical self I think his intangibles are at least equally as important as Melo's scoring would be. I initially looked into a Melo trade that wouldn't send out any of our starters, with the idea that he could rest for a couple of months and then tune-up for the POs. That would allow us to keep Nic in the starting spot (for the moment). But if we traded Nic (which we'd need to do), then we wouldn't have anybody (Crabbe?) to play the SF spot while Melo rests/rehabs. And for as poorly as Nic has played, not having him at all would be way worse and we'd surely drop in the standings.

And aside from Cousins/LMA or Melo/Nic, I can't really think of any BIG trades that could improve the team. There's no real improvement to be made at PG or SG. And at C any move would be a HUGE gamble.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I wouldn't trade any starter
    Not really enough info on JO's condition. Could be like the last year we brought Pryzbilla back. If he's in Golden State shape, he'll help. Worst case scenario he sits in a suit instead of Claver. (I like Claver by the way and long term would keep him but winning now, we're down a true 5)
    Meyers is a poor man's KLove or Dirk. Both were terrible defenders especially early in their careers. We've finally figure out he's a Power Forward and will never be a Center. Useful bench player going forward.
    Great article Brian!

12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    The same Cousins who is shooting 4/20 tonight and has no playoff experience? No thanks.