Forward trade targets

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Apr 17, 2021.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It seems clear that moving forward this summer with Powell as our 2 while trading CJ for a comparably-talented starting forward is the way to go. (Full disclosure, this was also what Chad Doing was harping on incessantly during last night's post game show as well) But while it's easy to say in theory, the real dilemma is, what forward(s) out there would be:
    1. An upgrade over what we presently have
    2. Similar enough in value to CJ to warrant a deal
    3. Presently on a team that would value CJ as an addition (replacement)
    4. On a contract that would make the trade possible
    I'm just curious who out there might fit all those criteria, or is this all a futile notion?

2. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I’d love to see Brandon Ingram.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

If Olshey is still the GM it’s more likely they use Powell in a sign and trade, especially since the majority of the league will be over the cap. He’s not gonna trade CJ as long as he’s in charge. I feel confident in that.

So who can use Powell that has a forward to trade us

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

There aren't many players who fit all those criteria

Brandon Ingram (Fits all Criteria)

Jaylen Brown (Fits Some, Boston likely won't Trade him for CJ)

Gordon Hayward (Fits most of the Criteria)

Jerami Grant (Fits Criteria, Detroit probably won't trade him for CJ)

Jimmy Butler (Miami Won't Trade him for CJ)

Khris Middleton (Fits alot of the criteria, but Blazers would have to include more to get him. Not sure it's worth it)

Ben Simmons (A very tall guard can play forward, terrible shooter though, etc)

Pascal Siakam (Wet Dream, Would have to include more to get him...but won't cause that would be like the Blazers trading Dame. TOR won't do it)

Bradley Beal (Not a Forward but a trade I could see happening. Causes same sizes issues)

Michael Porter Jr (Would have to be a sign and trade. Fits a lot of criteria.)

Draymond Green(Not the player he used to be. But, would still work well on the Blazers)

Karl Anthony Towns (Blazers would have to trade more probably CJ, Nurkic, etc)

Harrison Barnes (eh)

Bogdan Bogdanovic (Doesn't offer the same value as CJ)

Stevenson and PtldPlatypus like this.
  5. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

I disagree about Pascal being to the raptors to what Dame is to us. In fact, he’s been frustrated this year because he think he’s getting unfairly blamed for their struggles

If Philly flames out in the playoffs, I would try and get Ben Simmons

Natebishop3 and GDiama like this.
  6. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

How many trade in this league that when a all star or closed to it your getting fair trade value for that player. But right most of those player in that category are demanding a trade. I really don't Olshey going consider CJ in a trade this off season. But after watching CJ in his assist he could get a lot assist with his handles and be able to get to spot and plus in control when does it and instead looking to score all the time boy if he look to pass in those opportunity to players that's open he would become really potent as a player.

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I swear I made a thread here five years ago with the same kind of post but without trading CJ. On it were Rodney Hood and Robert Covington as primary targets.

I really like Kevin Heurter fwiw. Won't need to trade CJ for him. DeAndre Hunter on the other hand, I might throw the kitchen sink at.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

A package centered around simmons and McCollum could be something both teams would be intrigued by. Obviously we’d have to give more, but it’s a good starting point.

ehizzy3 and RR7 like this.
  10. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

In the past most all-stars get traded for less, so I think most listed on here are possible. Just have to see how some of these teams perform in the playoffs.

11. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    First off, great question! I like the way it's thought out versus the usual "trade CJ for an elite forward" statements.

I still don't see the Bucks doing this but I think the best bet would be for them to lose in the 2nd round again and think that they need someone who can get buckets and have enough defense to sacrifice Khris Middleton for CJ. Dame, Norm, Middleton, RoCo, Nurk is really good.

I don't really see Toronto wanting CJ so it would probably have to be a 3 team trade say with New York if they strike out in free agency where the Raptors get a couple young players and picks and the Knicks get CJ and the Blazers get Siakam.

I don't see many other options and even these two seem far-fetched.

12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Given #3, I'm assuming any deal with CJ going out would likely have to be a 3 team deal. It seems unlikely that there'd be an even swap where the other team happens to have a glut of forwards over guards.

I don't know if we're finding similar value in CJ, or if it would have to be a $1 for 4 quarters, or two 50 cent pieces type of trade.

Kind of going team by team

Philly: Can see interest as another ball handler alongside Simmons and Embiid. Maybe one of two teams where a direct swap is possible. Would need them to flame out in the playoffs. CJ+ for Simmons would be awesome. Tobias has been discussed a bunch here, but don't see it pushing us forward much, more shuffling pieces around.

Brooklyn: No need

Milwaukee: Again, with a playoff flameout, maybe a CJ for Middleton swap.

Atlanta: Don't see it.

Boston: No

Knicks: I think they could use CJ, and could see them targeting him. They have cap space, they have youngish players. They're a team I could see attempting it, but with a 3rd team. They're not going to swap Randle for CJ, they would want to pair the 2. So they send young pieces to team X. X sends us Y, we send CJ. Gets us back to, who is Team Y?

Miami: Can see them having interest as well, pairing with Butler. Don't have pieces we would want or need.

Charlotte: Unlikely. Graham and Rozier duplicate some of what he offers.

Indiana: I think he'd be a great pairing there with Brogdon and Lavert. Would give them the scoring punch I think they were hoping to get with Oladipo.

Toronto: no, though I'd love Siakam as our #2, a swap there seems unlikely.

Chicago: Don't know if a Lavine/CJ pairing is going to work.

Washington: Westbrook/Beal. No.

Cleveland: No

Orlando: Not anymore

Detroit: Maybe they'd look to accelerate their rebuild, but like NY, they'd want to pair CJ with Grant, not swap the 2.

Utah: Backcourt set

Phoenix: Same

Clippers: Guess we'd have to ask Kawhi how he feels about a CJ-George swap.

Denver: Seems unlikely

Lakers: Nothing we want, and lack the assets to make it a 3 team, IMO.

Dallas: Do we want to try KP at PF?

Memphis: Another team I could see pushing forward their timeline with a good vet. I just don't see a deal that makes sense with us. Again, maybe there's a 3rd team?

GS: Don't see it

SA: Odd fit to their timeline, but I also don't know what their timeline is.

N.O.: Can see the fit. Ingram-CJ swap feels off for them, but also, Ingram not known for his defense. So we swap one poor defender for another? I suppose with bench additions, it ultimately makes our lineup better, if we swap Powell for CJ, and then Ingram for DJJ.

Sacramento: Backcourt likely set with Fox and Halliburton

OKC: SGA and Dort are there. Doesn't seem like Presti is going to try to push their timeline up with a CJ type addition.

Minnesota: Who knows what that disaster of a franchise will do. But, with Russell and Edwards in the backcourt, and the possibility of adding Cunningham or Suggs in the draft, as well as having 12 guards on the roster, doubtful.

Houston: Don't see it.

Paine Tablet and handiman like this.
  13. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    This is the big problem--the above players (as you mostly noted) wouldn't be available for CJ, in my opinion.

Probably the closest match, in terms of value to both teams, is Gordon Hayward. He's not a defensive whiz, but he's generally solid on that end. Offensively, he'd probably give Portland something like what Batum did as a Blazer. Hayward, I believe, has also been criticized for not being aggressive enough offensively.

I just don't know that McCollum is what Charlotte needs, even if the talent is close to even.

14. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I agree about Toronto not wanting CJ. I think Siakam would be available if they decide to rebuild; they were trying to trade Lowry. Siakam's efg% has dropped a 100 points in two years and of course there are the squabbles with his coach, so maybe they wouldn't be too greedy. New York seems like a good option for a third team. Also New Orleans, who has Ball, Hayes, maybe Alexander-Walker and a boatload of draft picks.

15. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

After this season so far, screw it. Just trade for Tobias Harris if Morey has an appetite for it. Sick of CJ's effect on the offense. If we could retain Powell I think the team would actually be a contender. Perhaps the best starting lineup in the league (knock on wood for health).

Lillard/Powell/Covington/Harris/Nurkic

blazerkor likes this.
  16. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Number 1 you have to see if you can sign powell if you do then you can you kick the tires on the CJ trade. But powell goes and sign with someone else than more likely CJ would stay. If we and trade partner with orleans then the 2 I would go after is Ball and Hart. I like Hart in draft that year but we draft someone that's not even the league any more.

17. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

... and here's where I bring in the blasphemy.

What if CJ weren't the piece that was traded, but instead we were able to bring in one of those forwards listed above that CJ alone wouldn't be enough to get?

Would we be better off (for example) with Dame/Powell/Ingram or CJ/Powell/Butler?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Natebishop3 likes this.
  18. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

I went through all the teams a couple days ago to see if any team really made sense adding CJ with something reasonable to give up.

I think the only 2 teams to target would be NYK & Philly.

I think this is a futile situation

19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The problem is that CJ isn’t really any kind of point guard. Dame is a point guard. With that said, teams can’t shut down CJ the same way they can shut down Dame.

But would this lineup win a ring?

CJ
    Powell
    Simmons
    RoCo
    Nurk

*With a real coach of course

20. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I was watching the Knicks Mavs game last night and was baffled at how good Randle and Barrett have gotten. Think Id take either for CJ.

Was hilarious seeing Thibs play RJ 46 mins in a non-OT game tho

PtldPlatypus likes this.