Francis and Mobley Reunited?

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by bronbron23, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Clippers Aim To Get Francis
    L.A. Times - 07/02 - 3:54 AM EST
    Moving to bolster the team at point guard, the Clippers are pursuing three-time All-Star Steve Francis, who could become a free agent this week, league and team sources said Sunday.

The Portland Trail Blazers , who acquired the eight-year veteran Thursday, are expected to buy out the final two years and $34.25 million of Francis' contract, freeing him to agree to terms elsewhere after he clears waivers. Teams cannot sign players until July 11.

General Manager Elgin Baylor and Coach Mike Dunleavy are also interested in Jason Hart, who joined the team late last season, and Brevin Knight, but Francis is potentially the team's highest-profile option.

The Clippers hope to sign Francis, 30, for a portion of the mid-level exception, reuniting him with his longtime friend, guard Cuttino Mobley.</div>

source

2. bronbron23

I don't know why but I would like to see Francis help out in Portland, but I'm also all for seeing Francis and Mobley becoming reunited as we all know they can play together and if Francis can stay out of injury problem heck he might even have a good season.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Coming from someone who has watched Francis for the past two years, I know Francis isn’t exactly “washed up”—at least not right now. While he isn’t the same Franchise of old, when given the chance, Francis can be effective. The main reason why his numbers declined when he was in New York was due to a variety of factors: the system, the teammates, and injuries.

Since Curry emerged as the focal point of the Knicks offense, unlike previous years, Francis was not the main option and didn’t have the ball in his hands as much. With so much emphasis placed on Curry attacking the paint, Francis’ game—1-on-1 isolation with heavy shot clock usage (he usually holds the ball for at least 5 seconds)—isn’t utilized well in the Knicks inside-outside system. A shooter would work best. Granted, he did shoot well from behind the arc, but he is by no means a “shooter”.

Also, behind Curry, there was Crawford, Marbury, and Richardson who were also due a decent amount of shot attempts. Basically, Francis was very expendable because he didn’t really serve a role on the team; there are already players who did what he did. That’s another reason why he only played 28 minutes last season. And with 44 games played, Francis barely played more than half of the season.

When alls said and done, I see Francis fitting in well with the Clippers. Firstly, he’ll be united with his best friend, Cuttino Mobley. This should motivate him and when Francis is motivated, he plays well; i.e. against the Wizards he hit the game-winning shot for his grandmother. Secondly, the Clippers are somewhat guard deprived. With the waiving of Daniel Ewing, the injury to Shaun Livingston, and Sam Cassell being 38-years-old by next season, I can see Francis logging solid minutes with less of a logjam at the PG/SG positions. The Clippers also ranked 23rd in the league in scoring, so Francis should help in that aspect.

4. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Coming from someone who watched Francis and Mobley in Orlando, Stevie might just bust a nut at his press conference if the Clippers do sign him.

5. bronbron23

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Coming from someone who watched Francis and Mobley in Orlando, Stevie might just bust a nut at his press conference if the Clippers do sign him.</div>

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Coming from someone who watched Francis and Mobley in Orlando, Stevie might just bust a nut at his press conference if the Clippers do sign him.</div>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That's what Francis would be doing.

If they reunite, I believe Francis will be back to his old self.

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

The Clippers don't want Francis back to his old self, the team doesn't need someone dribbling for no reason and taking a lot of shots. I'd rather go after Brevin Knight if he didn't get injured so much and is out every 3 games.

8. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Do the Clips even need Mobley anymore?

9. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">CLos Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Do the Clips even need Mobley anymore?</div>

Who's going to replace him? Thornton is not a SG, nor is Maggette, who's always mentioned in trade talks. Ross is nice, but he's more of a defensive player at the wings or three since he's not the greatest scorer or shooter.

Whatever happened to the Korolev dude that they drafted ahead of Green and Granger?

10. Dark Hero

Dark Hero Can't Tell Me Nothing

The Clippers need a PG and Francis seems perfect for the fit and him and Mobley reunited will be great watching them play together.

11. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

About time to unite the gay buddies.