Fred Hoiberg Interview with David Aldridge

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by _GB, Jul 21, 2015.

1. _GB

_GB Bulls Fan Staff Member Moderator

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/david_aldridge/07/20/the-morning-tip/index.html

More than the personal relationship each has with the 42-year-old Hoiberg, who is competitive while still being pleasant most of the time, Paxson and Forman know that Hoiberg's offensive schemes at Iowa State mirror today's emerging NBA -- lots of 3s and rim runs. The Cyclones were in the top 50 in college basketball last season both in 3-point attempts and makes, running pro sets, and won at least 23 games in each of Hoiberg's last four seasons there (he had an overall record in Ames of 115-56, a .673 winning percentage)....

Me: Did you sense upon your return to the NBA that the game has changed since you left for college, with the downsizing and smallball and more 3-pointers?

Fred Hoiberg: Well, in watching the playoffs last year, I don't think I ever would have guessed that you'd have a lineup of (Houston's) Terrence Jones against (Golden State's) Draymond Green at the five, and Harrison Barnes at the four against Josh Smith. It's something that is. Teams are in a little bit of a chess match now -- I'm gonna go small, are you gonna match me? Or are you gonna stay big and try to punish us inside? And just make teams make adjustments. But it was very exciting. It was a great playoffs. I loved watching it on the outside. The thing that I love about our team is we have that versatility. We can play big, we can play small, and I think we'll be able to match up against anybody.

Me: Where will you use McDermott's ability to shoot to maximize the abilities of your personnel?

FH: Yet to be determined. I think he can play both forward spots, especially the way some teams are playing right now. Just, again, you can put Doug all over the floor. That's always been a strength of his game, his ability to score from the outside, from the inside, midrange. It's just that he's so good out there on the floor, and you have to hug him (defensively). Teams have to hug him. And it'll open up the lane for Derrick and Jimmy, and guys getting into the paint. Again, with the makeup of our group, you've got a lot of guys out there who can space, and you can try to pound teams and beat them up inside. Just a lot of versatility.