Free Agency is on

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by cagedlion, Mar 11, 2014.

1. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

What do the Giants go after.......Knowing Reese, it'll
    be cheap and worthless....just like his drafts. Suckeeeee.

2. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

I know this was a week ago... But, it seems like it's been a good 1st week of FA so far...

3. cagedlion

Just shocking( in a good way ) that they opened their tight purses.
    Totally unexpected......ya think they'd go after an OT? definitely in
    the draft. Also, DT is very thin, so is TE......another C...not crazy
    about the FA C they got.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

I'd prefer they draft another OL in the top 2 rounds to have some young guy grow with Pugh. However, I think they will do this if available to them.

1. Barr OLB
    2. Niklas TE
    3. Richardson G

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  5. dumpstralmannow

If Barr is gone, I would not be surprised to see the Giants trade down with the Jets who badly need a guy like Ebron or Evans, pick up at least an extra 3rd, maybe a 2nd if they are desperate, then take Martin from ND, let him play RT and move Pugh to LT. I think Pugh can play anywhere. He's going to be a stud on the OL. Move that bitch Beatty to guard.

6. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

Just saw this... "According to NFLPA, Giants have 66 players under contract and $3,690,088 remaining under the cap. Doesn't include DRC, Holliday, Manningham"... so they are probably over the cap at this point if you factored the 3 guys in...

I also saw this http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1996421-setting-realistic-expectations-for-each-new-york-giants-free-agency-signing which goes on to say:

"Geoff Schwartz will start somewhere along the Giants offensive line" and for "that type of money, the Giants are hoping to get a multiyear starter around whom to build the offensive line." (4 yr $16.8M)

"A lot of weight has been placed on Rashad Jennings' shoulders" and the "Giants will expect Jennings to be a durable, every-down running back for the next few years" (4yr $10M)

J.D. Walton: "In addition to letting Baas go, the Giants also allowed two-time Super Bowl champion Kevin Boothe to sign with the Oakland Raiders (per Pro Football Talk). New York signed Walton to a two-year, $5 million contract with $3 million guaranteed—a salary suited for temporary starter."

Jameel McClain: "The Giants are always in need of a linebacker, and this year's reclamation project is former Baltimore Raven Jameel McClain" and "McClain was a consistent starter with the Ravens, even overcoming a serious spinal-cord injury, suffered at the end of the of the 2012 season, to start the final 10 games of the 2013 season. With Beason retained to man the middle and Spencer Paysinger/Jacquian Williams combo continuing to hold down the weak side, McClain factors in as the starting strong-side 'backer"

Walter Thurmond: "The Giants began their flurry of defensive back signings with the acquisition of Walter Thurmond, formerly of the Super Bowl-champion Seattle Seahawks (per Adam Schefter of ESPN)." and "Thurmond struggled with injuries early in his career, but he displayed surprising playmaking ability when healthy in 2013. He played in all 12 of games in which he was not suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy last season." and "Thurmond's one-year deal worth $3.5 million is typical of a promising player with red flags."

Quintin Demps: "Demps, a 28-year-old veteran, has played with the Philadelphia Eagles (2008-09), Houston Texans (2010-12) and Kansas City Chiefs (2013) since entering the league as a fourth-rounder out of the University of Texas at El Paso. His most successful moments at the NFL level have come as a kick returner, having posted 2,630 career return yards and two touchdowns." and "Demps is an athlete who could be a standout on special teams. However, with Antrel Rolle, Will Hill and now Stevie Brown in the mix at safety (per Connor Orr of The Star-Ledger), Demps projects to be no more than an insurance policy on defense"

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: "It is strange that the Giants offered DRC a five-year, $39 million contract, considering the 28-year-old cornerback's open rumination on retirement following the Super Bowl. To validate that contract, the Giants must see Rodgers-Cromartie as a viable long-term option at corner." and "He has the track record to backup his value. With 92 games played and 19 career interceptions, five of which were returned for touchdowns, Rodgers-Cromartie projects to be one of the most productive and relied upon members of the Giants' secondary."

Trindon Holliday: "the Giants are getting a premier return man. In the past two seasons, the speedster has scored two punt return touchdowns and two kick return touchdowns, accumulating 2,079 return yards in the process. None of that is including the 90-yard punt return touchdown and 104-yard kick return touchdown Holliday had in the Denver Broncos' 2012 Divisional Round loss to the Baltimore Ravens." and "The 5'5", 162-pounder out of LSU has little use outside of the return game, though. Holliday has just two career receptions for 17 yards; don't expect him to explode in Eli Manning's passing attack." and "As long as Holliday's 4.21-second 40-yard dash time lasts, so too will his reign of terror over NFL coverage units. The Giants will reap the benefits of fielding one of the league's most dangerous return threats"

This article (the link) was written before Manningham was signed...

7. vette322

vette322 Member

I see the Giants drafting either Lewen or Ebron, depending which one falls to them. I'd be shocked if the Giants went LB.

8. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Don't count out Aaron Donald vette as this kid is a playmaker and starting to show up on mocks as a giant possibility for pick 12

9. dumpstralmannow

I wouldn't draft Ebron. He played against crap competition for the most part and the Giants never use the TE a lot. I would hope somebody else wanted him and would offer a lot to move up for him.

10. vette322

vette322 Member

My first pick would be Lewen, if he is there. As for Ebron, he's highly rated, and despite the Giants not using a TE in their offense - that was Gilbride's thing - McAdoo is different. We'll see - they should be getting a good player regardless at 12.

11. vette322

vette322 Member

Yes mel - I've seen that as well. This kid is rising. By letting Joseph go, they have a void in the middle of the DL, and we all know Reese likes to draft DL early in the draft.

12. dumpstralmannow

Giants don't have a void in the middle. They drafted Hankton to fill that void. Drafting fat DT's in the first round is always something I thought was dumb. So I doubt they will draft a DT in the first unless they trade way down.

13. dumpstralmannow

I would love them to take Barr. Let him play OLB. Then have JPP and Moore as the DE's, use Barr as a third pass rusher from the OLB position. If I had to guess what the Giants strategy was this off-season. Build up the secondary big time. Then fix the pass rush. Good pass rush and a top secondary is a pretty easy solution to building a top defense.

14. cagedlion

Giants added OT Jerry from Dolphins. Knowing Reese, I'll bet
    he's going Defense in Round 1............I like the idea the Giants
    trading down for the extra picks. They could really load up.
    Too bad Reese is conservative when it comes to the draft.

15. dumpstralmannow

I would love to see Reese trade down for Cleveland's second first at 26, pick up their early second this year and their second rounder next year if the moron could ever figure out how to trade down. Then at 26, draft the best pass rusher available. With the early second rounder, take Tre Mason who I love as a RB and then draft the ND TE with their own second rounder.

16. vette322

vette322 Member

Disagree. They have not replaced Joseph, and Hankins is an unknown. Jenkins is the only guy they have that can be counted on, and they need at least a 3-man rotation (if not 4).

17. dumpstralmannow

Giants loss games last year because their OL stunk. QB and WR's were incompetent and they got no pass rush from any DE or LB. They plugged lots of fat guys in at DT and nobody ran on them for the most part.

18. cagedlion

I would like Reese to give Eli as many weapons as possible.
    I was leaning toward a DT or LB; now I am more convinced
    to get an elite TE and then fill in the holes.

19. cagedlion

Well, knock me over. Love the way the Giants are going for
    the 'jugular'.....

20. dumpstralmannow

Apparently, all the so called "experts" still think the Giants suck compared to the RedSkins and Eagles. Neither the Skins or Eagles have enough weapons at WR and TE to match up with the Giants secondary since they added Cromartie and the depth they did. The Giants secondary is loaded.