Free throw change suggestion

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by 1eyedjack, May 1, 2019.

1. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Member

Im so sick and tired of all the free throws in the NBA. I want more action less stoppage so here’s my suggestion

Option 1
    Instead of always having to shoot two free throws let the first one count as two points ( if they make they don’t have to shoot 2nd free throw) if they miss they get a 2nd free throw worth 1 point. 3 pointers they shoot all 3

Option 2

If fouled inside of paint rule number one applies if inside 3 but outside of paint then they shoot 2 free throws.

This would speed up the game less down time watching guys shoot free throws.

illmatic99 likes this.
  2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Two words.

Hell. No.

Bad free throw shooters shouldn't get automatic points.

I hope that rule never changes.

The game doesn't need speeding up. They last maybe 2 and a half hours.

Also, you want players to play?

They get rest during free throws.
    They communicate game plans during free throws.

Disagree completely.

Record the game, fast forward through the free throws.

SIeepwalker, Jon, BoBoBREWSKI and 3 others like this.
  3. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Heck of a first post though. I like the creativity, but the complexity turns me off as well as dviss1's take, which I agree with.

4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Literally, at this point the only change I want about officiating is consistency. A Tech is a tech, it's called the same for everyone, a foul is a foul it doesn't matter if there are 40 minutes left or 4 seconds, it doesn't matter. Don't call it a foul on one end and not a foul on the other end. Call your rules consistent with the rule book, traveling especially. Now I understand officials will never be perfect, just as players, coaches, heck even fans aren't perfect. I just hate how inconsistent the officiating is, oh and continuation they need to be more consistent with that too.

I don't like the idea of giving free points to bad ft shooters.

bobf, Strenuus, BonesJones and 8 others like this.
  5. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Amen. Preach it brother.

6. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Why make life easier for Lonzo Ball? Plus, I love seeing that guy brick free throw after free throw. It is very enjoyable.

BonesJones and Dougnsalem like this.
  7. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Games do take too long, so I love this idea.

"Option 1
    Instead of always having to shoot two free throws let the first one count as two points ( if they make they don’t have to shoot 2nd free throw) if they miss they get a 2nd free throw worth 1 point. 3 pointers they shoot all 3"

I would just do the 3 as a first shop = 3 points, if you miss, 2nd shot = 2 points, if you miss, last one = 1 point.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  8. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I'm liking this not because I necessarily agree but it's interesting, if I was on a rules committee I would probably say no, but it's intriguing. Seems like you'd have even more guys shooting 3's and everyone just playing to get fouls. Even a bad FT shooter could say hey if I take that shot I will probably get two points.

9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

These are great suggestions, but I don't think games are too long. I just think there are too many games. My guess is that you'd find these games the right length if there were 70 games in the regular season and the first round went back to best of 5.

BonesJones and andalusian like this.
  10. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

I’d personally like to see the following:

During the first six minutes of each quarter the rules stay generally the same. Except it only takes four fouls before you’re in the penalty if you’re the road team, and when you’re in the bonus you shoot one and one if inside the 3-point line. If outside the 3-point line you shoot one and one and one.

From six minutes to three minutes of each quarter, if you’re not in the bonus you get one foul shot for non-shooting fouls. If you are in the bonus you automatically get two free-throws. If you’re outside the 3-point line you get two free-throws and if you make both you get another. Any foul away from the ball results in one free-throw and the ball, even if in the bonus.

From three minutes to two minutes of each quarter you shoot two free-throws regardless if you’re in the penalty yet or not and regardless of whether you had the ball or not. If you’re outside the three point line when you’re fouled you get three free-throws. If you’re not yet across half court you get four.

During the last two minutes of each quarter you shoot two free-throws regardless of the situation and if you make both, you get an extra one. If you’re outside the three point-line when fouled you get three shots and if you make them all you get an extra one, but only if you’re team is behind. If you’re team is behind by more than ten you get 3 and one and one. If you’re ahead, you have to shoot underhanded.

All technical fouls result in two shots, except during the last 75 seconds of quarter 1 and 3, in which case you only get one.

If during the 4th quarter your team is up by more than 20, you must shoot with your off-hand. If you’re team is down by more than 20 at any point in the 4th quarter, that team is given a mulligan which can be used at any time.

If during the 4th quarter your team is up by more than 30, it is at the refs discretion whether or not you get to shoot free-throws, except if you’re a Caucasian American, in which case you are entitled to shoot free-throws.

All flagrant fouls result in two free-throws if you’re team is up and three if you’re team is down. However, during the first eight minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarter this rule is reversed.

Anyone with tattoos on their face must shoot all free-throws with their eyes closed because they are annoying.

All Laker players will under no circumstance ever be entitled to shoot free-throws unless they are currently down by 30 or more, in which case who fucking cares.

Strenuus likes this.
  11. andalusian

Good point. Maybe have a longer 3 point foul shot for the first one, like from anywhere around the 3 point foul, or straight on from the 3 point line.

12. andalusian

That could be true, but there is no chance in hell they are having less games - this way, if we can make sure they finish the games in 2:30 hours - they get to keep their time slots on tv, they get to keep the number of games - but the games actually go a little faster.

13. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Well, I think everyone should wear the same color jerseys. That would make things REALLY interesting!

BTW- good first post OP, and welcome to the board. (If you aren't someones 7th or 8th account.... Lol)

dviss1 likes this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

That sounds like some convoluted shit tbh bruh... Free throws aren't the reasons games take as long as they do... Which is NOT long compared to other sports like Football, and Baseball.

BonesJones likes this.
  15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Try refereeing this crap..... Jesus... :lol:

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  16. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

It's only a matter of time before they move the 3pt line back.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  17. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Nah. They're gonna come out with the 4 point line, that is precisely 36 and 3/4 feet from the hoop. We're finally gonna get a break.....

PtldPlatypus and KeepOnRollin like this.
  18. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

During the last 3 minutes of the game, a foul on the defense results in FTs and the offense retains possesion with a new shot clock. Make teams play actual defense instead of rewarding them for intentional violations of the rules.

An intentional foul is a deliberate violation of the rules by definition. In any other context, gaining an advantage by an intentional rule violation is considered cheating and bad sportsmanship.

19. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Member

Not my first post couldn’t remember my account so made one similar to my old one I apologize.

As far as length of game I don’t care about that I’m just tired of watching 50 free throws a game just for Harden alone

Dougnsalem likes this.
  20. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

They will make the game softer & softer so players can just run all over and Jack it up whenever they want.