Freese comes up big in spring debut

Discussion in 'St. Louis Cardinals' started by truebluefan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"Monday wasn't opening day for David Freese. It was his first day. But by whatever definition, it was a good day.

Barely seven months after his right ankle came apart as he tried to score at Hammons Field in Springfield, Mo., Freese made a successful return to third base at Hammond Stadium against the Minnesota Twins. Last summer's blowout took place on a rehab assignment. Monday's was a cross-state Grapefruit League tilt. Neither technically counted, yet Monday's represented a huge step forward for a player considered crucial to his team's 2011 composition.

Freese contributed two hits, three RBIs and one clean fielding chance before giving way to a pinch runner in the sixth inning of the Cardinals' 10-4 victory.

"They want me out there. I'm glad I got out there. It's been a long time coming," Freese said.

Freese flied out to right field in the second inning before slamming a two-out, RBI single to right-center field in the fourth. Freese's value has been tied to his productivity in run-scoring situations, and he restated the tendency with a two-run single that put the Cardinals ahead 5-2 in the sixth inning.

"I'm taking one day at a time," said Freese, who had taken one at-bat as a pinch hitter this spring before making Monday's start. "I feel good at the dish. My main objective was to make sure I'm tracking the ball well. Whatever happens after I make contact, I'll take it."

The Cardinals have held to their February pledge to proceed slowly with an infielder who has required two ankle operations since last August. Monday's start was pushed back after Freese fouled a pitch off his left big toe in live batting practice against former Redbirds reliever Cal Eldred last Friday. The concern was whether residual discomfort would cause Freese to alter his running stride, creating unnatural pressure on either foot."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cle_ee5a126a-8665-51ad-9f16-36ea24cdb50d.html