Funny Commentator Quotes

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by scorbutic, Jan 22, 2004.

1. scorbutic

scorbutic JBB JustBBall Member

This was originally going to be STUPIDEST quotes... but I figured all quotes that are funny should be read. So just post quotes (as close as you can remember) that you've heard during basketball games that we may find funny.

* I heard an announcer once say... "he goes up for a ferocious layup!" -- 'tis a good saying when it's a dunk, but a layup?

* I also heard somebody say "That wasn't a good turnover" -- please explain what a good turnover is then; I always figured they were all bad.

* "Any time you outscore the other team, you have a good chance of winning" -- it was along those lines... good advice though [​IMG]

* I always thought "Googiliogoogiliatta" was a funny saying... the T-Wolves announcer would say it.

2. Coli

Coli JBB JustBBall Member

Good turnover

A good turn over would be, having the ball and the lead with 30 seconds left and using all 24 of your shot clock then getting a shot clock violation.

3. Coli

Coli JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting scorbutic:</div><div class="quote_post"> So just post quotes (as close as you can remember) that you've heard during basketball games that we may find funny.</div>

I was watching a college game (not sure which) and one of the players got a break away and the announcer was screaming "HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!" then he slammed it home - "OH THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL" it was great.

4. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

The most clever lines I ever heard came from the great Chick Hearn

"His chances are about slim and none, and slim just left the building"

"The mustard's off the hot dog"

"You can call that with braile"

"He went for that (fake) like a carp going after a worm"

5. Erin

Erin JBB JustBBall Member

The way Bill Walton goes from side to side with a team. Example:

The Lakers are down 4-19... Bill goes, "The Lakers are playing horrible basketball tonight."

Then the Lakers go on a 15 point run or something... Bill goes, "The Lakers are playing fabulous basketball tonight!"

Enough said.

Then Sixers announcer Mark Zumoff. When the Sixers are playing on the road and go on a fast break, Mark says, "Here come the black shirts!"

6. Accord

Accord JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting scorbutic:</div><div class="quote_post">* I heard an announcer once say... "he goes up for a ferocious layup!" -- 'tis a good saying when it's a dunk, but a layup?</div>

I've seen many very hard and fierce layups, sometimes a layup can be just as spectacular as a highlight dunk.

But anyways, Eric Reid, the Miami Heat television play-by-play commentator will always go "KABOOOOOM" when someone sinks a jumper. Just something unique, not necessarily funny [​IMG].

7. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Accord:</div><div class="quote_post">I've seen many very hard and fierce layups, sometimes a layup can be just as spectacular as a highlight dunk.

But anyways, Eric Reid, the Miami Heat television play-by-play commentator will always go "KABOOOOOM" when someone sinks a jumper. Just something unique, not necessarily funny [​IMG].</div>

KABOOOOOM is being used by a collegiate league commentator here in the Philippines. [​IMG]

This is funny.

?Rebound by one of the big guys ? Divac, I think ? Hands off to one of the little guards ? The big guy with the beard passes off to the little lefty ? Boy, I?m having trouble with these names.?
    --Legendary Boston radio announcer Johnny Most, calling a McDonald?s Open game between the Celtics and Jugoplastika Split of Croatia

8. kartmandogg

kartmandogg JBB JustBBall Member

This one is by the Raptors announcers

Chuck Swirsky: Alvin Williams from 33 feet!
    Jack Armstrong: How do you know that was 33 feet Chuck?
    Chuck Swirsky: I measured it!

9. Aaron

Aaron JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Coli:</div><div class="quote_post">I was watching a college game (not sure which) and one of the players got a break away and the announcer was screaming "HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!" then he slammed it home - "OH THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL" it was great.</div>

I would say that is a Kevin Harlan quote he use to say it when he was the Twolves play by play guy.