Future of GSW: not so bad

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Jan 15, 2005.

1. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

We're pretty horrible but I think this team has the potential to turn things around next year. JRich + Murphy are a pretty good tandem and they don't have ridiculous contracts as we thought earlier this year. JRich is clutch, Murphy has a good mid range game and can grab boards. The biggest problems are the point guard and Center situations. [​IMG]

Claxton and Fisher cannot lead fast breaks. They dribble at the top or side of the keys until the shot clock gets to 14 then Murphy or Cliff will shoot a jumper. Claxton at least gets to the bucket but Fisher shoots jumpers on a fast break. Ridiculous.

Robinson should not be starting. He can't defend the paint, can't rebound, shoots three's instead of using the post, that's a recipe for disaster. Foyle is so-so but can play the center position opposed to Robinson.

If Mullin can pull some reasonable moves I think this team can pull a turnaround and compete. I'm not going to suggest anything insane like trading for Kidd or Garnett with Cheaney.

---Trade Robinson for the exception (nets deal) and then trade the exception + Pietrus and or Claxton for Magloire, Nene, Darko(stretch), Wilcox, Randolph due to the weird exception.

---Draft a point guard. Preferrably Chris Paul and with our sucky ass record we might get him. There's also Jarret Jack, Raymond Felton, Gilchrist.

We get a guard who will know when to push the ball down the floor, who should continue to get the right person the ball when their hot, how to get to the line and shoot. I'd like to keep Claxton to bring off the bench but if we deal him for a big then so be it. Our big man can help Murphy on the boards and the ball will actually leave the perimeter!!!! He can take up space and get a high % shot!!! It's so crazy it might work!!! Not only that but with Biedrins gaining some mass we have 4 bigs to get minutes: Murphy, New Center, Biedrins, Foyle. Fisher could be traded. He is scoring 10.5 points per game which on paper looks good considering he doesn't start. Some dummy GM will say "geeze, that looks good. I better take him!!!" Don't worry that guy isn't Mullin since he already signed him. [​IMG]

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

There's always signs of hope. Sometimes when I watch the team, it looks like they are playing well. They just fall apart at the worst times in games and they need another guy to shoulder responsibility on both scoring and defense.

There are quite a few good C's and PG's in the 2005 draft, though who knows if we get one of the ones that can successfully make the jump from good college/foreign baller to good NBA baller.

3. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

I'm not a fan of the Warriors, but if they get a good pick, they can be a good team next year, and for the years after that. They need to draft a PG, Paul would be great, and if you can't get him, Felton or Gilchrist would be my next options, and by the looks of it, with the Warriors record, they could definitly get 1 of the 3. Don't draft Louis Williams or Rudy Fernandez. Louis Williams will be more like a Shaun Livingston development project, but won't be as good. I would take Paul, Felton or Gilchrist who are more ready for the NBA than them, and seem to have a brighter future as well.

PG: Chris Paul
    SG: Mikael? Pietrus
    SF: Jason Richardson
    PF: Troy Murphy
    -C: Andris Biendrins

4. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

i personally think we're fine at PG, but we should still draft someone like Paul, etc. who will step in since we wont be able to resign speedy with DFish's huge contract. i think speedy is awesome, i love how he creates for everyone and puts up big numbers when given minutes

5. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I don't mind Speedy, but I wish we had a guard taller than 6'2 that has vision of the court and can see over defenders. A consistent outside shot to keep the defense honest would be nice, which Speedy seems to do okay with his 20 footer jump shots. I like Speedy because he's a true professional that plays hard on both ends of the floor. He just seems like more of a one-on-one open court type point guard because he's forced to be. We need to also have somebody that can play a 5 man game and hit people moving off the ball. He's okay at that, I guess, but maybe Carlos Arroyo can be obtained (and you know his 3 point shot will come along eventually).

Anyway, we need to find more scorers that are also defenders. Our starting rotation cannot keep defenders in front of them and the help defense is pretty bad when they don't feel like playing it. We can't allow teams to shoot more than 50% each time we face them and go unchallenged going to the rack or from beyond the arc. Montgomery must be slitting his wrists by now because that's not the kind of team he's used to seeing, it's just not good basketball. Shoot the ball, play the 5 man game, play defense on your man straight up and if you get beat let the help come in, and pound it inside to the big man. Since there's really no outstanding mismatches in our game other than Speedy's quickness, I guess it falls on his shoulders to make something happen because nobody else moves or knows where to go on offense. Too much standing around, especially on defense trying to get the ball in our posession again.

6. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

You hit it custodian. The guy over 6'2 that has vision of the court and can see over defenders was Arenas.

7. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Air Pietrus:</div><div class="quote_post">You hit it custodian. The guy over 6'2 that has vision of the court and can see over defenders was Arenas.</div>

The only problem was that Arenas would not pass the ball to his teammates and only looked to score himself. And when he did look to pass, he was in love with the "sweet" pass instead of the basic pass.

I watched some of the Warriors/Lakers game and the passes that Dunleavy was making in the pick and roll with Murphy were right on the money. That's the part of the game that people do not pick up, is the pass on the money? Does the receiver have to make any adjustments? That's what a good PG does, he sets up his teammates where they are most comfortable. Drive and kick, Speedy does that at times but the Warriors are just bad jump shooters, except for Murphy and he unfortunately is in a bad slump right now.

8. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

^Murphy is not in a slump. He's second in the NBA in field goal percentage and he jumped from 3 to 2 in the time that J-Rich was injured. A slump is when a guy goes 3/10 from the field. Muprhy had games like that in the beginning when J-Rich wasn't playing, but he ins't in a slump

9. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

A.P., You mean Troy Murphy is #2 in 3-POINT field goal percentage at 48.1% (26 of 54 shots).