FWIW, I hope Judge says "No thank you".

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by yankeesince59, Jun 20, 2017.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

2. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Judge has shown us to be more concerned with his accomplishments helping his team to win. I'd bank on him seeing that participating in or winning that derby does nothing for his teams success.

3. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

Don't quote me on this one but I could swear I read in the paper that he was hoping he would be asked.

4. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

In his rookie year........... the kid has many HR Derbys ahead of him. I think he should turn it down
    amidst much pressure from the MLB moguls.

5. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    amen, I'd be stunned if Aaron we're to accept the Derby invite, and I don't buy Joe's criteria for not picking up bad habits from a Derby, shades of Bobby Abreu.....?

Tho' as much of an astute student as Judge has become, I'd also not be surprised to see him win the Derby, and return to business as usual; but then I can see only The Judge Superman, getting away with such.... or recovering with his gamers stroke intact after the Derby comp...

6. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    The kid has a natural home run stroke and has power to all fields...i don't see why not go and excite more fans...i don't see a risk to this.

7. yankeesince59

...I just don't want some meaningless exhibition somehow alter his normal hitting approach for down the road...yes, he's hit a lot of bombs this year but he's also drastically improved his making contact rate while decreasing his strikeout rate from last year...what I'm saying is that in addition to hitting HRs Judge is also hitting a lot of singles and doubles and he's also now willing to take pitches and walking a lot more than ever before which is part of the reason why he's actually scoring more runs than he is producing RBIs. (leading the AL in OBP)(.434)

...I see Judge as being in the same type of hitter as Mike Trout and Miguel Cabrera, who both hit a lot of HRs, but also go with the pitch and spray the ball to the opposite field when needed...and both Trout and Miggy are apprehensive about participating in the HR Derby.

...If Judge decides to participate, yeah, I'll pull for him to win and not saying that the HR Derby will definitely hurt Judge's normal hitting approach, just that it possibly could and I'd hate to see it wreck his second half of the season...plus Judge doesn't seem to be the kind of player who relishes a lot of attention.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Mattingly23NY likes this.
  8. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

If the kid wants to do it let him. About as down to earth a kid as I've seen come up in a long time and doubt that this would affect him. This kid seems to adapt to everything

9. yankeesince59

...as the title says , "I hope Judge says no"...obviously it's his decision alone to make and if he decides he wants to, the Yanx certainly won't stop him.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Mattingly23NY likes this.
  10. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    great thought(s) 59, couldn't agree with you more, regardless of how this all goes.

^^^ it's nice to hear/read, and know we've got our own Miggy or Trout, a Harper, Votto, Rizzo, Bryant, et al; our own legit Star, a Mick Clone of strength, a rural humble kid with the strenght of a draft horse.... finally we've got youth to once again build on and we can dream of dynasties again....without sucking hind tit to others.... (if only we had a brain for the kids, a SP staff, and a couple other fixes)....

Finally a real stud in the Bronx, make that 2, since we've had Sanchise to begin with, and more, now, more to come....no more sucking back fiddle to other teams homegrown heroes, Harper, Rizzo, Bryant, Seager, Bellinger, (fk Bosox),

How long shall they kill our prophets
    While we stand aside and look? Ooh
    Some say it's just a part of it
    We've got to fulfill the Book