Game 3: Dallas Mavericks @ Golden State Warriors

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by the_pestilence, Apr 26, 2007.

1. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]<div align="center"><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">Game Three - Friday April 27th</span></div></span><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Starters:Dallas Mavericks:</span>[​IMG]<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">PG - Jason Terry - Playoff Stats - 22.5-2.5-2.5-2Importance - Jason Terry was the catalyst for the Mavericks' victory on Wednesday, scoring 28 points while nabbing three steals in 41 minutes. He's going to need to keep doing this night in and night out until Dirk picks up his game.[​IMG]SG - Devean George - Playoff Stats - 6.5 ppg, 4.5 rpgImportance - Devean George is pivotal in the guarding of Baron Davis as a bigger defender, and needs to stay in front of him. It would be nice for him to at least be an option on offense, as when Dirk is double teamed, and Damp/Diop is on the floor you're essentially playing three on four.[​IMG]SF - Josh Howard - Playoff Stats - 21.5-12-2.5-4Importance - Obviously Josh Howard is going to get his points with Dirk doubled, but he needs to get more than "his points". Josh Howard needs to step up even more on the offensive end if they want to weather the storm in game three. Defensively, he needs to keep doing what he's doing, with four steals per game and being effective against Baron's passing lanes. Fun facts:Josh Howard has rested all of 12 minutes this series, and in those 12 minutes the Mavericks have been outscored by 14 points. In the time he's in they've outscored the other team by double figures. Josh Howard is playing more PF than SF, and not effectively, while at SF he's playing great defense, at PF he's allowing 70% FG shooting by the guys he's guarding and over 20 ppg scoring (he's not guarding power forwards).[​IMG]PF - Dirk Nowitzki - Playoff Stats - 18.5-9.5-2.5-2-1.5 on 35% shootingImportance - The MVP needs to prove that "superstars will get their points no matter what". So far he has not done so. He got 23 points yesterday but it was a weak 23 consisting of much stat padding after Baron was thrown out of the game (so Biedrins had to guard him) as well as cheap fouls. Given all this, Dirk still couldn't approach his average in points or field goal percentage. He really needs to step up if the Warriors ever bring their A game this series.Fun Fact: For the series, Dallas is -5 when Dirk is on the court and +5 when he's off the court. (There appears to be an 82games accounting problem that's giving the warriors an extra point somewhere.....)[​IMG]C - Erick Dampier - Playoff Stats - 1-2.5 in 8.5 minutes per game. Importance - If he starts, which is unlikely, he will need to stay in the game for more than 17 minutes to slow down the Warriors' pace. He also needs to start playing well; in just 17 minutes he's graced the court this series. His team has been outscored by double digits during that span, shooting 32% from the field. He needs to find a way to not hurt the team for a start.</span><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Coming off The Bench:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]</span>Jerry Stackhouse - SG - Came up huge wednesday with 17-8, he's the key to their superior bench beating that of the WarriorsDevin Harris - PG - Devin Harris murdered the Warriors in game 1, and was in the process of doing so again untili he got into foul trouble. He got 15 points in 17 minutes, and is going to need to not pick up those fouls again. He really needs to outplay Monta Ellis.Desagana Diop - C - Perhaps the single most important player to the mavericks team thus far this series. When he's in the game they outscore the other team by over 35 points per 48 minutes. When he's out of the game they get outscored by over 28 points per 48 minutes. In other words, when he's in they whoop and when he's out they get whooped. They need to be able to keep him in and control the Pace.Greg Buckner - Just needs to be a competent option and guard Baron when need be, much like Devean George.Rounding out the Keys for Dallas:Defense. Defense. And more defense. This is a Warriors team that is capable of dropping 100 points in three quarters on you and running any team in the league off the court. You need to get into their heads, get them frustrated, and make them make dumb fouls. You aren't usually going to win with an effort like this. Dirk needs to find a rhythm, but if he doesn't, the rest of the team needs to compensate by being options.X Factor - Diop. When he's in the Mavs look like a 67 win team. When he's out the mavs look like a 27 win team. Without him they'd be going back to Oakland looking at a 2-0 deficit. They need to find a way to keep him in the game.[​IMG]The Maverick's Superstar simply has not shown up.[​IMG]The Warriors' Star Hopes to be allowed to show up and not suspended.<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Starters:Golden State Warriors:</span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">[​IMG]PG - Baron Davis - 23-7.5-5-2.5Importance - What I want to see from Baron friday, besides him not getting suspended, is him turning back into the passing Baron we know and love. He's getting only 5 assists per game and it's grinding our offense to a halt, and is ultimately why we aren't playing our best. He also needs even more steals; Steals ARE our defense and provide much of our offense.[​IMG]SG - Monta Ellis - 13.5 ppgImportance - Stop being so nervous and play your game. When Monta and Baron are both getting steals and clicking it fuels our entire fast break, Monta was great for about 10 minutes and then froze up. Keep getting Harris into foul trouble[​IMG]SF - Jason Richardson - 13.5-8Importance - Start playing like J-rich and play some defense. J-rich is the missing link in our defense and offense right now, playing like rookie Jason at best. At some point the nerves have to go away.[​IMG]PF - Stephen Jackson - 26.5-4-2.5-1.5Importance - What is there to say? Keep doing what you're doing and don't get ejected/suspended. Flawless effort other than that. Outplaying Dirk 2 games in a row is no easy task.[​IMG]C - Al Harrington - 6 ppg 9 rpgImportance - Get your act together and start driving. I saw him do it at the end of last game. Forget that you used to be a 45% three point shooter, you haven't been able to make a three for a month now. Just drive and actually finish to keep Diop off the court.<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Coming off The Bench:</span>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Matt Barnes - SF - Played great in Game 1, needs to bring defense more than offense to this team, as well as rebounding.Michael Pietrus - SF - Needs to stop being an idiot, though I understand that would require a different brain, and stop getting into foul trouble.Andris Biedrins - C - We need to find a way to keep him out of the game for as long as possible, he hurts our team as much as Diop. X Factor:Al Harrington - Needs to come up big and keep pushing the pace and forcing the mavs to keep their bigs out, and to keep driving and driving constantly, they're not quick enough to keep up with him.</span><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Key Matchup:Al Harrington vs. Desagana Diop</span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Seeing as how they were my two X factors it would be silly if they weren't my key matchup. Al Harrington has to keep Diop out of the game, and Diop has to find a way to stay in the game, it's as simple as that. Nelson and Avery play a huge role in this one obviously, but I think that after the first two feeler games it's going to be more in the players' hands as the mind games wear off and the teams learn how to play eachother.</span></span><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">Prediction:Warriors over Mavs 112-96</span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">That's right, I'm saying that in their first game back on their home court the Warriors are going to blow out the Mavericks. After the last game the Warriors are going to be angry and determined, and adding that to the fact that they have the biggest difference between home and road play in the league, and I think the Warriors will spank the Mavericks in this next one to sent a message. I'm predicting Harrington to finally have a decent game, and Ellis as well.</span>

2. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

The problem with the Warrior's anger is that it is misplaced. They are too busy whining at the refs to see their true enemy. Good luck.edit: I don't expect to see Davis to get suspended. He deserved the ejection but not a suspension. Jackson could get a suspension and most likely will get fined. I'm thinking of the other Jackson's (Bobby) misconduct earlier in the year as precedence.

3. AiRuPtHeRe

AiRuPtHeRe BBW Elite Member

Jackson playing the 4? Dirk should have a huge advantage over him IMO. Was he playin the 4 in game one?

4. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Jackson has played four on Dirk this whole series and Dirk has been an overglorified role player thus far.

5. mavsfan1000

mavsfan1000 BBW Elite Member

Yep Stephen Jackson is bothering Dirk the same ways T-Mac bothered Dirk. Golden State has a lot of long 2's and 3's playing out of position.

6. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

I really hope that Jackson doesn't get suspended. I don't think that Artest deserved the suspension he did last year, but this would be much worse. Good luck to the Warriors. They should at least get 1 at home.

7. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AiRuPtHeRe? @ Apr 26 2007, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Jackson playing the 4? Dirk should have a huge advantage over him IMO. Was he playin the 4 in game one?</div>yeah, he's been playing the four for the last 20 games, but everybody from Monta Ellis to Andris Biedrins has guarded Dirk. Clearly Dirk can't beat that type of defense (doubles by quicker guys)

8. 808Hornetsfan

808Hornetsfan BBW VIP

God I hope the Warriors win these two home games. Is Baron going to play or did he get suspended?

9. ASUFan22

The Warriors have come to play, no letdown after the meltdown a couple days ago. They lead by 9 after the first quarter with one of the loudest crowds I've seen backing them. I'd be really worried if I was a Mavs fan.

10. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

I'm nervous, the Mavericks aren't lying down and the Warriors aren't on fire.ugh, the warriors are up 15 but have 4 team fouls. Now comes the free throw parade for the rest of the quarter; Mavs will probably get at least 15 attempts this quarter.

11. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Jesus Christ, Golden State is absolutely on fire right now. J-Rich has been feeling it and the Warrior's aggressiveness is unmatchable. Outside of Dirk, Dallas looks horrible right now.

12. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticBalla32 @ Apr 27 2007, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Jesus Christ, Golden State is absolutely on fire right now. J-Rich has been feeling it and the Warrior's aggressiveness is unmatchable. Outside of Dirk, Dallas looks horrible right now.</div>now the world finally gets to see how the Warriors played 10-12 of the last 21 gamesedit 8:34: christ, why do the warriors have to put their three worst players (in their rotation) in at the same time while resting Baron and an on fire J-rich? The Warriors are not a team meant for platooning.

13. ASUFan22

It wouldn't be the ideal opponent, but I would love to watch a Suns-Warriors series. 132-128 type games all the way through. [​IMG] Oh please let us get past the Spurs!

14. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASUFan22 @ Apr 27 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It wouldn't be the ideal opponent, but I would love to watch a Suns-Warriors series. 132-128 type games all the way through. [​IMG] Oh please let us get past the Spurs!</div>yeah, that would be pure ecstasy. The scores would be like 115-110...... after the third quarter :dribble:

15. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

Can somebody please explain to me how the hell Baron Davis was able to finish that play? [​IMG] He is impressive, my god.

16. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

Nice, 13 point halftime lead. Good that we recovered a little momentum at the end."Jerry Stackhouse ties the game!""I've never heard of a thirteen point shot" :HAHAHA:btw, didn't see this posted anywhere, in response to a reporter asking S-Jax about Charles Barkley's idiotic comments and Jackson said "I don't get into conflicts with people who don't have championship rings"

17. ASUFan22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tHe_pEsTiLeNcE @ Apr 27 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, that would be pure ecstasy. The scores would be like 115-110...... after the third quarter :dribble:</div>But if we get to the WCF I'd rather not play the Warriors. I don't know what I'd do if another run and gun team beat us. I would definitely cry I know. :no1:

18. 808Hornetsfan

808Hornetsfan BBW VIP

I have never seen a more exciting game! This is really cool to watch. Baron is really having a solid game. :dribble:

19. Amare320

Amare320 BBW Banned

Im not watch this game because .. um espn is gay atm but yeah warriors seem to have the lead right now, hope they continue to play a great game in the second half and beat those mavs!

20. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Does Golden State run any set plays? It seems like all their offense is just 'go with the flow' kind of stuff, stuff that you see in streetball.They are playing great basketball, though.