Exclusive GAME# 35: BLAZERS @ HAWKS - DECEMBER 30, 2017 - Quote Book

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Dec 30, 2017.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

BEYOND THE BOX SCORE

HAWKS NOTES:

• The Hawks won for the third time in the last four games overall, and for the third consecutive time at Philips Arena.
    • Atlanta handed out 29 assists on 40 FGs (.725 A/FGM) … The Hawks have dished out at least 25 assists on 17 occasions … Coming into tonight, the Hawks ranked fourth in the NBA in A/FGM (.621).
    • The Hawks grabbed 45 rebounds including 13 on the offensive glass … Atlanta has now recorded double-digit offensive rebounds in three straight games, tying a season-high.
    • Atlanta scored 18 points off 20 Portland turnovers, while Portland scored 10 points off 13 Atlanta turnovers … Coming into tonight, the Hawks were second in the NBA, forcing opponents into 16.3 turnovers per game (leading to 18.0 points, eighth in the NBA).
    • The Hawks bench outscored their Portland counterparts, 41-23.
    • Taurean Prince extended his career-high consecutive games streak with at least one three-pointer to 18 … Prince finished with his fourth career double-double (second-in-a-row), recording 12 points (4-7 3FGs), 10 rebounds and five assists in 31 minutes … He is the second Hawk to record back-to-back double-doubles, while making at least four 3FGs in each game (Mookie Blaylock three times – all point/assist double-doubles) … Last night at Toronto, he finished with 30 points, 10 rebounds, two blocks and one assist in 35 minutes (12-16 FGs, 5-6 3FGs, 1-2 3FGs).
    • Dennis Schröder finished with 22 points (9-17 FGs, 1-3 3FGs, 3-3 FTs), eight assists, one rebound and one steal in 33 minutes … Schröder has now scored 20-plus points in 18 games this season (third time in the last four games).
    • Marco Belinelli finished with 14 points (5-10 FGs, 2-4 3FGs, 2-3 FTs), two assists, two steals and one rebound in 21 minutes.
    • Tyler Cavanaugh finished with 13 points (5-7 FGs, 3-4 3FGs), five rebounds and one steal in 23 minutes off the bench.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. SlyPokerDog

TRAIL BLAZERS NOTES:

• The Trail Blazers finished with a 46-28 advantage in points in the paint and a 24-14 advantage in second chance points
    • Portland grabbed 46 rebounds, including 15 on the offensive glass.
    • Shabazz Napier making his third start of the year finished with 21 points (8-15 FGs, 1-2 3FGS, 4-4 FTs), eight rebounds, six assists, two blocks and one steal in 36 minutes.

Darkwebs likes this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

HAWKS POSTGAME QUOTES

HEAD COACH MIKE BUDENHOLZER:

(Opening Statement)

“Good win for us. The thing that stands out the most is the defense in the second half. I thought our guys were able to turn up the effort, the execution, the togetherness on the defensive end. It led to good offense. We got some in transition. I think we were cutting and moving off the ball, just a little more energy, a little more execution. The defense just kind of fueled us in the second half. It was good to hang in the first half. We didn’t play very well in the first half. We were sluggish. We didn’t do a lot of things you need to do: 50-50 balls, passing, (too many) turnovers. But it was just a six-point game at halftime. So to hang close and find a way to be there, and then really turn it up in the second half is a great win for our guys.”

(On Dennis Schröder’s run at the end of the third quarter)

“Dennis can put one of the spurts on you, especially when he mixes in a three…gets a couple layups and a three. That put us up for the first time, I think, 67-66. You just felt like the momentum had shifted. He was a big part of that. We let him play a little bit longer in the third quarter. He was great.”

(On winning three straight at home)

“We’ve been saying ‘we’ve been playing better basketball.’ We’ve played a lot of close games this year. Hopefully we’re finding a way to be better throughout the whole 48 minutes, maybe better in close games. Now we have to go out on the road and find a way to do it. It will be a good couple days before we play again. Travel and make sure we take care of ourselves the next couple of days.”

4. SlyPokerDog

MARCO BELINELLI

(Are you feeling healthy?)

“Yeah, after a back-to-back, it’s not always easy to play. I feel good. Confidence is back. We play well together when we move the ball on offense (and play) defense. appyHapHappy to finish the year with a win.”

(On trying to dunk twice)

“I was just trying to be aggressive. I missed the first dunk, and I missed the second one too. Maybe I’m going to try another time. I was just trying to be aggressive all the time. At the end of the day, it’s just two points anyway. It’s on me missing two dunks. In the future, I’m going to score or try to (draw) a foul. That would be more smart I think.”

5. SlyPokerDog

KENT BAZEMORE

(On getting back on the court after last night’s loss)

“That’s the beauty of this league. Sometimes you get a second chance right away. We had a tough night last night up in Toronto. We couldn’t provide that energy and punch that we had tonight. It’s tough losses that draw you back to reality. We had just won two in a row…so it’s good to get this one.”

(On Damian Lillard’s absence)

“Guys get an opportunity. You put in so much work, when you get your chance, you make the best of it. Shabazz Napier was good for them tonight. Al-Farouq Aminu is working on his jumper and made a couple three’s.They have a good team over there. They do things well. CJ McCollum attracts so much attention, you have to worry about him. I made it tough for him tonight and we got a big win.”

6. SlyPokerDog

TRAIL BLAZERS POSTGAME QUOTES

HEAD COACH TERRY STOTTS:

(Opening statement)

“We weren’t able to sustain what we had going. In the first half, I thought we had really good stretches, and didn’t finish the half very well. Then in the third quarter we got a nice lead, and weren’t able to sustain that as well. Atlanta played hard and created some turnovers. We were a little loose with the ball. They made their runs. They started shooting the ball well. Our offense really struggled in the second half.”

(On what he told a struggling CJ McCollum tonight)

“There’s not a lot to say. I think he was trying to draw some fouls that he wasn’t able to get. It was a rough night for him offensively. He’s been doing it for a while now, so there’s not really a lot that I can tell him. Just being strong with the ball, and trying to make good decisions. If we get him open jump shots, I feel good no matter if he’s making them or missing them.”

(On returning to Atlanta)

“I always like coming back to cities where I’ve been before – Milwaukee, Atlanta, Seattle - if they had a team, Dallas. I have good memories in all the places I’ve been. Atlanta is no different. My first opportunity as a head coach was here. We had some very memorable wins from my view. Obviously, the record wasn’t very good but I do have fond memories of the players and my time here.”

7. SlyPokerDog

SHABAZZ NAPIER

(On the difference during the second half)

“We gave them a lot of second chance points, offensive rebounds, my turnovers. It was just a handful of things that we should have corrected going into the second half.”

(On his frustration following tonight’s game)

“I’m just upset about my play. I’m upset that we’re not consistent from Philly coming here. We’re not playing as well as we should have. It starts with the point guard, myself. I believe we just have to be better. I definitely think we will. We have the team to do so.”

(On what it will take to achieve consistency)

“We’re continuing to try to find rhythm. Guys are trying to find rhythm, trying to understand where they best fit. I definitely think the past couple of games, we’ve been finding that rhythm. Scoring 42 points (in the fourth quarter) against Philadelphia, we found a rhythm. So I think it’s coming along. It’s just frustrating for all of us when we come to Atlanta or come to a team that is struggling and we’re not competing on a high level.”

riverman and rotary111 like this.
  8. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

9. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I like that Napier took a lot of personal responsibility for the loss; he is becoming my favorite guy on the team. I hope Stotts keeps giving him big minutes when Lillard is back, although I think he gets crowded out when both Lillard and CJ are available.

10. BrunoSOC

BrunoSOC Ripcity from Brazil

Shabazz is way better than ET. Stotts needs to use this line up= Dame cj harkless collins and nurkic. second unit bazz pat aminu vonleh and ed davis. mixup with dame and cj in the 2unit. No turner please

11. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Spoken like a true Tater Tott.

BonesJones and rotary111 like this.