Exclusive GAME# 40: BLAZERS @ THUNDER - JANUARY 9, 2018 - Quote Book

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 9, 2018.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Home Team Quotes

Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Portland Trail Blazers

January 9, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER HEAD COACH BILLY DONOVAN:

Opening Statement:

“I thought coming in to start the game, I didn’t think that we really set any kind of tone defensively or offensively and then I thought for most of the first half, it went back and forth and was close. We were fortunate, I think, to be down by four at the break. I did not think that we started the game playing particularly well on offense or defense. We obviously dug ourselves a hole there in the second half. Again, a big part for us is for us to find our defensive identity, and what we have done defensively for a good portion of the year, and in the last couple games we have really struggled defensively and that is an area that we have got to get back to.”

On what is preventing the team from self-correcting:

“I thought at times we really tried to turn it on, on both offense and defense at times; it’s really difficult to do that at this level. When you don’t get off to a good start, we got down by whatever it was, seven in the first half, and we battled our way back and took a three or four-point lead, then they took a four-point lead. We get down and we battle back, but I think what you are always just trying to do as a coach, is to get that level of consistency through the full 48 minutes, and we just did not have that defensively.”

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER FORWARD JOSH HUESTIS:

On how losses like these help players maintain perspective during the season:

“It’s a long season, you can’t get too high or too low; you have to stay even-keeled. We have to look at this game as a learning experience. We can sit here and be upset about it tonight, but tomorrow is a new day and a new game, so we don’t have time to dwell on the past.”

On how the team can bounce back against Minnesota:

“They are a talented team, they have a lot of guys that can burn you: Towns, Wiggins and Butler. We have to be ready for that. It’s going to be another defensive test for us. We’ve had a few chances at them, and I’m excited to go in tomorrow and try to fix what happened tonight and try to get back to our old selves.”

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER FORWARD CARMELO ANTHONY:

On what made the difference tonight:

“I think it was a lack of energy. We played in spurts tonight. I think in the last two games; the energy has been down. We were one step behind on a lot of plays. We tried to play in spurts and we haven’t been able to put a full game together these past two games. As a result of that, we lost these two.”

On preaching perspective as a veteran:“Perspective is good. Obviously we lost, but I think that is just natural to be mad that you lost, especially losing on your home court, so that is just natural. We are fine. We lost two games, we are fine. We will be back tomorrow night.”

Chris Craig, dviss1 and Darkwebs like this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Visiting Team Quotes

Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Portland Trail Blazers

January 9, 2017

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS HEAD COACH TERRY STOTTS:

Opening Statement:

“Needless to say, this is a very good win for us because of how good Oklahoma City is. I didn’t think that we played very well in the first half and we managed to have a lead. That third quarter was really good on both ends, with CJ’s shot making and then Nurkic. Getting down early and then coming back, that could’ve gone either way and we did a nice job of fighting back. The second unit was able to keep us going at the beginning of the fourth quarter.”

On the offense:

“The offense is going well. I thought the assists were a little deceiving at halftime, because I thought the ball moved better than that. CJ made some really good plays, both scoring and passing. Shabazz is doing a good job of running the team either with CJ in or not. In the third, beginning of the fourth, we ran some movement stuff and guys were making good passing plays. It’s encouraging. We are shooting over 50%, finishing in the paint better, passing better. Hopefully we have some momentum with that.”

On how they were able to defend Russell Westbrook posting up Shabazz Napier:

“I don’t think they really looked to do that. Obviously they made a point to do that on their first possession, but I think that would be going away from what they do best. Westbrook in transition, Westbrook in pick and rolls, Paul George and Carmelo, they have to spread it around. That is their offensive identity. They looked at it a few times, but I think they wanted to stick with what they usually do.”

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS GUARD C.J. McCOLLUM:

On the confidence of the team:

“I think everybody is playing with confidence, while also not being afraid to make mistakes, whether that be missed shots or turnovers. Defensively we are talking a little bit more, as well as locking into the scouting report better. There are lapses at times just like there always is in the NBA but there hasn’t been as many, which is a sign that guys are paying attention to the scouting report and listening to the staff. They have been preparing us all year long, so it’s just about following and executing it.”

On the road trip without Dame:

“Well it’s not as much pressure. Obviously when you are down a guy like Dame who can do everything: score, assist, rebound or take over a quarter which helps bail us out at times. When we come on a road trip like this and Dame is hurt, it’s like we aren’t supposed to win. I think everyone plays a little bit looser understanding that we are playing against an upper Western Conference talent in OKC and then the Houston Rockets. Execution has been big for us, as well as playing the right way while being comfortable making aggressive mistakes and moving on.”

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS GUARD SHABAZZ NAPIER:

On the team’s offense:

“I think when the ball moves everybody gets a great feel for the ball, which leads to everyone feeling confident and I think a confident team is a dangerous team and right now we really have a confident team.”

On the win tonight without Damian Lillard:

“I just think coming into the game we all feel we still have a chance to win no matter if we have Dame or not. Losing Dame is big but we all feel that if we play as confident as we have been playing the last couple games then it will get to a point where you feel so confident that you expect to win the game and that’s how we felt going into tonight.”

Chris Craig likes this.
  3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I love how he seems completely oblivious to the fact that this isn't just a two game thing. They have lost four of their last six games, including losses to PHO and DAL, two of the worst teams in the league.

He seems to think that because they have three "superstars" that they are automatically a team that can just "flip the switch" and start playing at a higher level - that all they need to do is play with a little more energy and everything will be "fine".

Teams that can flip a switch are teams that have played together long enough to develop chemistry and have had past post season success - OKC has done neither. They also tend to have deep benches that let them rest their starters so they will be fresh for the big games and playoffs - OKC doesn't have a deep bench, just the opposite. They aren't the 4-time champion Duncan/Parker/Ginobili Spurs who could rest their vets, still hold their own against anyone during the regular season and then take it up a notch in the post season. They aren't even last years Cavs who coasted to through the regular season and then decimated the East on their way to the finals.

So yeah, I love how his lack of awareness prevents any kind of sense of urgency. Yeah, there is still half a season to play, but this is a team that was supposed to challenge GSW, HOU and SAS for one of the top spots in the West. They aren't even close to those teams. They are 5.5 games behind the Spurs who have played almost the entire season without their best player, and their starting PG. At the halfway point, they are in 6th place in the West, only half a game ahead of the 7th seed and only 1 game ahead of the 8th seed.

Right now, OKC is closer to missing the playoffs than they are to having HCA. Of course, I think they will make the playoffs, but will struggle to get HCA, and if they end up where they are now (6th, 7th or 8th), they will be first round fodder for one of the REAL contenders in the West.

So, keep chillin' man. You'll be fine...

BNM

Chris Craig, SlyPokerDog and dviss1 like this.
  4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

@Darkwebs should edit these to add a lil' blazer flair to this page. It's so bland with just the bold letters.