Exclusive GAME# 56: BLAZERS @ THUNDER - FEBRUARY 11, 2019 - Quote Book

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Feb 11, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS COACH TERRY STOTTS:

On what was frustrating about game:

“I don’t know the first half was frustrating. Oklahoma City really played well. They were shooting the three. We struggled to make shots. Getting down in the first half was tough. They were playing well. Burton comes in makes an impact. Felton makes an impact. Obviously, Paul George is playing at an extremely high level. So that was disappointing, but I like the way we competed in the second half. Got it within to whatever we got it into to, so that was good. We knew it was going to be a tough game. They are playing the best basketball of the season so far for them and we knew it would be a tough game.”

On what his approach was at halftime:

“Compete and play together. When things are not going your way, compete and play together.”

On how he would describe Paul George’s play:

“Exceptional. He is playing at a very high level. To me he is playing the best basketball of his career. He is catch and shoot, taking it to the basket. He is very difficult to guard one-on-one.”

2. SlyPokerDog

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS GUARD/FORWARD EVAN TURNER:

On the frustrations of the game:

“Just losing for sure. They came out and played well. Obviously, the stars did what they did, and I think their bench and their other guys played well. (Deonte) Burton had a good night and Raymond Felton after not playing often. He did a great job, too.”

On Paul George’s night:

“It was unreal. Everybody is going crazy for Giannis (Antetokounmpo) and James (Harden). Everybody I probably went up against, and no disrespect to other teams, they’re unbelievable, Paul is the best that we probably went up against all year. He’s at a completely different level. It’s hard to even explain.”

On trying to slow Paul George down:

“He’s just in a great groove. He’s in a great groove. He’s playing great. They’re on a roll. I’ve never performed at an MVP level, I’ve seen a few, but he’s an MVP in my personal opinion.”

3. SlyPokerDog

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS GUARD DAMIAN LILLARD:

On the biggest difference from last year to this year:

“Paul George. I think, and everybody in the whole arena can see that.”

On Paul George:

“He’s on a different level. After watching him over the last 10 games or so, I catch a lot of their games, and then seeing him tonight, that dude is MVP. If they keep this up, he’s MVP.”

4. SlyPokerDog

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER HEAD COACH BILLY DONOVAN

Opening Statement:

“Well I thought we played a great first half. The only thing negative was the fouling, but outside of the fouling, I thought our intensity, our effort defensively was great. We played really, really well offensively. We got out and transitioned. We were really effective. I mean, they’re a good team. They got to make a run, third quarter wasn’t great but we kind of regained control of the game. Obviously, shorthanded [but] a lot of guys stepped up, got minutes from Deonte Burton off the bench. You know, I give Raymond a lot of credit. He always keeps himself ready and we obviously got great minutes from him tonight. Then obviously, Russell and Paul carrying a load in a lot of different ways. It was really a great team effort with obviously, having some guys out and being able to go to the bench and getting some productivity from those guys which was helpful.”

On Deonte Burton’s development:

“The hard part for him is that, we played him last game against Houston and he was playing a small forward spot and tonight he played a power forward spot. Being with the Blue and trying to get caught up on everything is challenging, but he’s done a really good job. Obviously, at shootaround today, we were able to kind of able to get him acclimated because I felt like with Jerami being out that his mission was – we’re going to come at the four spot backing up Patrick. So, we got really good production from him. But he’s been great. The thing I love about Deonte is, he’s really, really coachable and he’s a great worker and he wants to learn, and he wants to get better. I probably played him too many minutes to close the game, but he was playing so well I didn’t want to take him off the floor. They were going small and it worked out well. It’s good to see him play the way he did tonight.”

On how hard it is to put into perspective what Russell Westbrook has been able to accomplish individually this year:

“I think I’ve said this before, I’ve never taken him for granted, in terms of what he does. I know there’s a streak, and all those kind of things. It’s historic, and I understand all of that, but there’s just so much more to him as a player, and as a leader, and who he is as a person. I’m not taking anything away from the accomplishment, or what he has done, because it’s absolutely remarkable. If it was easy to do, we wouldn’t be talking about this. So, I’m happy for him. I’m happy for Paul [George]. But I do know the most important thing to Russell is to win. That’s what he’s about. He wants to win. I think a lot of the things that he does, that he gets attention for in terms of the triple doubles, are things that impact winning for our team.”

5. SlyPokerDog

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER GUARD TERRANCE FERGUSON

On playing together despite having players out:

“We’re having fun. Before every game, it’s what Russ says. He says to go out there, have fun, play the game and enjoy it, and that’s what we’re doing. We’re playing with each other, and everyone’s laughing on the court and smiling, dapping each other up. We have fun. This is a great group of guys to play with.”

On Deonte Burton’s success:

“That was nice. He was killing tonight. He had an unbelievable game. There’s a difference in him on offense. Then, he got things going early. It was good. It was good for him. The bench, tonight they really turned things around for us… When Deonte came in, when Raymond Felton came in, it really turned the game around.”

6. SlyPokerDog

OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER GUARD RAYMOND FELTON

On what helped him get rhythm tonight:

“Just the confidence from my teammates. The guys were uplifting before the game. They make me know I can do this and I have been doing this for a long time and don’t even overthink it. I am really just coming out ready to play. I was excited like a little kid in the candy store, excited to play. I love to play this game, so the opportunity to go out there and help, it was fun.”

On what is it like going 20 games or so without playing and then playing long minutes tonight:

“Tough. Without a doubt it is tough, but it is a blessing at the same time to be able to play. I am blessed to still be in the NBA at 14 years. A lot of people take that for granted, but I do not. I bust my behind every day, just like the next person. Just staying ready, working at my craft. I got the opportunity tonight, so I took advantage.”