Game Thread GAME# 56: SPURS @ BLAZERS - FEBRUARY 25, 2015 - WEDNESDAY, 7:30 PM (PST), ESPN & KGW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Darkwebs, Feb 24, 2015.

?

How many points will Aldridge score in his return?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2015.
  1. 0-12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 13-17

6.7%
  3. 18-19

13.3%
  4. 20+

80.0%
  1. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

---------PROBABLE STARTERS---------

[​IMG]

[​IMG] PG [​IMG]
    TONY PARKER VS DAMIAN LILLARD

[​IMG] SG [​IMG]
    DANNY GREEN VS WESLEY MATTHEWS

[​IMG] SF [​IMG]
    KAWHI LEONARD VS NICOLAS BATUM

[​IMG] PF [​IMG]
    TIM DUNCAN VS LaMARCUS ALDRIDGE

[​IMG] C [​IMG]
    ARON BAYNES VS ROBIN LOPEZ

WHEN: 7:30 PM (Pacific), WEDNESDAY, 2/25/2015

WHERE: Moda Center, Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

TV BROADCAST:

[​IMG]
    AND
    [​IMG]

RADIO BROADCAST:

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

--------------BENCH--------------

SAN ANTONIO SPURS
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    MILLS , JOSEPH , GINOBILI , BELINELLI
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    WILLIAMS , DIAW , BONNER , SPLITTER

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    BLAKE , MCCOLLUM , AFFLALO , CRABBE
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    GEE , WRIGHT , LEONARD , KAMAN

INJURIES
    SPURS
    NONE
    TRAIL BLAZERS
    ▪ Joel Freeland (right shoulder strain): OUT

HEAD COACHES
    [​IMG] - VS – [​IMG]
    GREG POPOVICH--- TERRY STOTTS

:reading: OFFICIAL BLAZERS GAME NOTES

kjironman1, SlyPokerDog and Strenuus like this.
  2. Darkwebs

Darkwebs Awakened to emptiness Staff Member Moderator

Reserved

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    We need this one for cripes sakes.

4. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

Is Pops sitting anyone?

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We're winning this puppy!

kjironman1 likes this.
  6. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like it. They have had a day off and have another day off before they play Sac Kings on Friday.

7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

At this point i want to take a look at this portion of the season for exactly what it is. This stretch of games for the Blazers were going to be tough. So far after the break they laid an egg in Utah and then came out and played a pretty good game against the Griz but could not close it out. The next 6 games however will be a better indicator to where they are after making some roster moves looking for a little more scoring punch off the bench. It is not time to start panicking. Some people say it takes 10-15 games to get comfortable with your new team. Lets hope we see things start to gel a little quicker than that. Freeland is shooting and getting some work in so lets hope he is doing better. The word i read was he will experience pain for the rest of the season but it is just simply how much he can handle. That seems like more than a simple shoulder strain that is was originally reported as. So be it.

I am not buying the panic in San Antonio either. They have lost 3 games after the break. They are in the middle of their annual "Rodeo Trip". They go on this trip every year for an extended 3 week road trip because the AT&T center gets filled with cattle for the Stock and Rodeo show. The funny thing is even after the show is over the AT&T center smells like ...SHIT! Yeah you know what i'm talking about. Lasts for about 2 more weeks. Happens here when the circus comes to town also. The Spurs usually come together as a team during this stretch of games on the road. Nothing is telling me this will be any different this year. They might have lost a couple put they are the best overall group of players anywhere and they have the very best coach in the game. I am sure they will be ready to compete tonight and this game would go a long ways to curing their recent road woes.

The same thing can be said for the Blazers. This game against a healthy Spurs team with all their players would go a long way to helping the Blazers get back on their feet so to speak. The thing is we all know what to look for here. the Spurs are not going to do anything different than what they always do. The play solid defense inside of the arc and run shooters off the line. They don't make stupid mistakes and if you give them a chance they burn you every time. The Blazers need to clean up their act tonight. If they turn the ball over and take silly shots they will lose this game. If the Blazers play a solid game for 48 mins they will be in it and that is what this is all about right?

I am interested in seeing Dame, Wes, and Affalo on the court at the same time. I am also interested to see how Aldridge works with Affalo. It seemed that during the Memphis game there were signs of real solid play when Blake, AAA and Kaman were on the court at the same time. This is of course what we all are hoping for. This is where the Blazers have not been scouted. There is a new wrinkle here and they need to take advantage of it.

Pick tonight is Aldridge. He should be very well rested and he should benefit from some more scoring from the wings. It all works together. Batum started to score again and that is also a bonus.

Go Blazers!

kjironman is a fan!!!

8. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

I don't like to say 'must win', but this is as close to it as we can get.

A must win vs the Spurs is a tough situation to be in.

9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Pop will not want to lose this one. I think he goes all out to try to win this, and I believe they're fully healthy.

Guessing POR will have the same mindset. Should be a great game, but I hate the 1030 start, and to complicate matters: on ESPN so I'm blacked out on LP. ugh

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think the Spurs have finally hit the age wall, at least that's what I'm hoping for. Parker isn't such a threat these days, nor Ginobli..Duncan, that's a different story.

11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

lol. Why do people insist on saying this? I won't say they've hit the age wall until Duncan retires, period. Until then, they are formidable and ageless.

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

A "must win" against a Spurs team that has lost 3 in a row is an even tougher situation. If it weren't for that fact I would expect us to come out and win after two stinkers. But facing the Spurs when they're lost a few in a row makes me nervous - they are certainly a more mentally tough team than we are. We'll need to hit a lot of low-percentage shots to win tonight.

13. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

We've seen before when dominant teams era ends it happens much faster than we realize. The recent Lakers were back to back champs then swept in the playoffs.

This Spurs team is just not the same as the last few years. Duncan teams have won 50 games every year but that could end this season. When the Spurs have reached the finals they've won 58 or more games every time. That's not happening this year. They've had a hell of a run and I have a lot of respect for them but this is not their year.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I've watched several of their games, that's why I can say, Parker and Ginobli are way slower than usual, Leonard can't make a shot and Duncan looks ageless but they don't look unbeatable this season at all. Doesn't matter what people have said before. This season I see a difference on the court

15. Strenuus

They were beatable during the regular season last year too...

Until they can prove they are beatable in this years playoffs, then I'll think about it. But it's been an unwise bet to bet against the spurs in the last 15 years.

16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    They looked really good in our last game against them.

17. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Any word if Parker, Manu, or Duncan are gonna sit this one out since it's two games in three night towards the end of their roadtrip?

18. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Well I suppose you are correct in that they didn't go 82-0. They did however have 62 wins the most in the league. This year is projecting to be the lowest wins of the Duncan era.

19. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Since its actually one game in 3 days they will most likely all play.

20. Strenuus

You're 0-0 in the playoffs. That's when they win. Regular season is just for seeding. Important seeding for most teams, but with the Spurs, it doesn't matter. They'd most likely be favored in a 1-8 matchup regardless of who the 1 seed is. Playoffs is the real season in terms of basketball.