Exclusive GAME# 64: WIZARDS @ BLAZERS - MARCH 11, 2017 - Quote Book

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

HEAD COACH TERRY STOTTS

“We shouldn’t have put ourselves in a position to lose that game. Outstanding first half offensively, very good defensive quarter in the second quarter. Give credit to Washington, they’re an excellent team. Beal came out and got hot and made it difficult. But we’ve got to play with the lead better, particularly here at home.”

Was the out of bounds reviewable?

“They can’t review the call.”

Would you be in favor of referees having discretionary ability to review game deciding calls?

“I’d be in favor of them getting it right in the first place. When two referees are looking at the play and neither one of them see him step out of bounds, I think in a game like this, you can’t miss that call. He was obviously out. The replays showed both referees are looking at his foot and neither one of them called it. It’s particularly disappointing when we lose a game in Philly and a guy steps out of bounds with 40 seconds to go and they don’t see that. We’re in a playoff race and we can’t afford those mistakes.”

There was also a play where Leonard was not given shots on a foul:

“I didn’t agree with that call either. I’m not going to comment on the officiating other than what I just said. It was obvious that he stepped out of bounds and for all intents and purposes it cost us the game.”

RipCityDSCPL and Orion Bailey like this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

DAMIAN LILLARD

Did you get an explanation on why there was no review?

“I don’t know. I walked over and I said the guy was clearly out of bounds and they said we can’t review it. I guess that’s the rules but I don’t understand why we have all these cameras and all this technology and all this stuff in the arena if we’re not going to be able to review a play that determines a win or a loss. Then tomorrow they’re going to come out and say, ‘Oh with 10 seconds left, he was out of bounds.’ It’s a time in the season where you need these games. Every little thing counts. That’s BS that you can’t look at that. Now obviously, we had plenty of opportunity to win the game. We was up 20, but it’s the NBA and things happen. You’ve just got to find a way to win games. I think we were in position to win the game, it comes down to getting a stop and the guy steps out of bounds with two referees standing right there. That’s a tough one. We lose a game because of that.”

But they didn’t say why they couldn’t review?

“They just said we can’t review it.”

“I don’t see why that would be in the rule book, why not be able to look at it. It doesn’t make no sense, man.”

What happened to lose 21 point lead from half:

“The first half we shot the ball really well. They didn’t play very well in the first half. In the third quarter, they made shots, some tough ones, some where we fouled and they got to the line. They had a good third quarter, but the thing that we did wrong was we let them get life. They found life and saw the ball go in and they decided that they wanted to make a run for it and it became a game. Like I said before, that happens. We wouldn’t want it to happen. We wish we could basically make them put their reserves in the end of the third quarter and get ready for tomorrow, but like I said, they found life, they got on a run and they made it a game. It came down to possession for possession. We get to the last possession with a lead and it goes down like that.”

RipCityDSCPL and Orion Bailey like this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

Pool Reporter Joe Freeman (Oregonian): Did you see Markieff Morris step out of bounds live?

Rodney Mott: “No I did not.”

Why did you not review Washington’s final possession?

“That out of bounds is not a reviewable matter. It’s not a trigger.”

Why isn’t that play reviewable?

“That is the rule, it’s not a trigger.”

Have you seen the replay since the game ended and what would your ruling be had you been able to review it?

“Yes, we looked at it and if it was reviewable, it would have been called out of bounds, Portland’s ball.”

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

HEAD COACH SCOTT BROOKS

On his team not giving up despite being down by as much as 21:

“Well we’ve been doing that all year. There’s a couple of things that says that we never give into the game, we just keep competing for each other and we expect to make a run. The thing I don’t like is we’re down, we’ve been down a few game too many. I like the toughness and playing four in five nights, it’s not only the physical part of it but the mental toughness. You have to continue to fight through it and I thought the guys did a good job. The guys off our bench did a phenomenal job, I thought Tomas’ [Satoransky] five or six, maybe seven minutes, they were critical. I thought they gave us energy, they gave us juice and they gave us some mojo to get back in the game and then our starters came in with about six minutes to go and they closed the game out. A lot of good plays, a lot of good plays on all sides of the ball in the second half.”

On the team trying not to be ‘down’ in games:

“We’ve got to have better starts, I mean it seems like sometimes we feel like the game starts at eight o’clock. Maybe I should tell them ‘Hey it’s a seven o’clock game, now let’s get ready to play.’ I like the fact that we’re still competing, it says a lot about the team, good leadership. The guys are really coming in and stepping up and continue to rally for one another, it’s a game of togetherness and if you don’t have it, you’re not going to have a chance to win. I didn’t like we played in the first half and I let them know at halftime. If we’re going to go down, we’re going to go down playing our game, our aggressive game, playing how we play. We talked about Wizard basketball and that’s how we were going to win the game and if we didn’t, we were going to lose the game the way we play.”

On taking a timeout at the end of OT instead of letting the play go on:

“We knew we needed a stop and I give our guys credit, in the second half we had a lot of defensive stops and in that overtime we always talked about getting a ‘stop on demand.’ That’s about as on demand as you can get because we needed that stop. So the initial thrust of the defensive rebound was go attack and try to get a basket in transition so their defense is not set up and then it was a quick pin down for Bradley [Beal] but we weren’t generating that so that’s why I called a timeout and then Brad [Beal] drew the play up because Brad [Beal] had the whole clear side to the right side and we knew that the weak side defenders were going to get sucked in. He did a great job of finding guys, it’s about making the right play. John [Wall] made the right play at the end of the game, unfortunately he missed the wide open 14 footer. Brad [Beal] made the right play also, he didn’t have the lay-up so he kicked it out to ‘Kieff [Morris] and he made the shot for us.”

5. SlyPokerDog

BRADLEY BEAL

What are your thoughts on the game?

This speaks a lot about our team because that’s a playoff team over there. That’s a team that can score a bunch of points. Their big man is probably one of the best in the game right now. They have two elite guards that put up a tremendous amount of points. It was all about heart, man. We just wanted it. At the end of the day, we were disappointed with the way we were playing. There was no toughness, no fight. That’s all we did in the second half. We just came out with more energy, more focus, and it was a hell of a game. It was a terrific win for us.

Can you talk about that final play?

I was supposed to catch it, and the coaches wanted me to drive to the basket and see if I had an opening. I drove, and I had a look, but I wasn’t too comfortable with it because I had Nurkic on me. Then, I saw Markieff’s man help off the corner, so it was a no brainer for me to hit the open guy. I trust everybody; we trust everybody here to make a shot, take shots. Win, lose or draw I’m riding my teammates, and Markieff has been in situations earlier this year, and it’s kind of a redeemer for him. It was a great play drawn up. I knew they were keying on me, and I just trust my teammates to make plays too, and Markieff hit a great shot.

What was the feeling like in here when fans were booing and throwing thing onto the court?

It was almost like we won a championship. We were throwing water around in the locker room, beating on lockers like wild animals. It was electrifying. We were excited – especially with a game like that where you claw back, you fight and compete your butt off. Our second group did a tremendous job in the fourth of bringing us back into the game, and the starters closed it out. It was a great team effort by everybody. We were excited back here and coaches were too. We’re all positive energy in here.

6. SlyPokerDog

JOHN WALL

What did you see from the Markieff play?

I just saw Brad throw it to him. I was open, and I saw him pump-fake, and I thought, “oh, he’s about to shoot the pull-up now.” I just read the pump fake. I didn’t see the clock. I didn’t see if his foot was out, but afterwards you could tell it was, but they couldn’t review it.

7. SlyPokerDog

MARKIEFF MORRIS

What allowed you to get that open shot?

Coach drew up a play for Brad to get to his right hand and go to the basket, but he said I was going to be open and if he saw me open just pass it. Brad had faith in me. I went up, stepped up, put my guts on the line again, and that's what it was.

8. SlyPokerDog

Post Game Notes – March 11, 2017

Washington 125, Portland 124

Game #64 Ÿ Home Game #31

Team

· Portland has played more overtime games than any team in the league (nine). The Trail Blazers are 4-5 in those contests.

· Tonight’s loss ended a season-best four game win streak.

· The Trail Blazers lost at home against the Wizards for the first time in four games (1/21/13).

· Portland shot 50.0% from the three-point line (16-32).

· The Trail Blazers bench outscored the Wizards bench, 31-14.

Player

· Tonight marked the seventh time that CJ McCollum (34 points) and Damian Lillard (33 points) have both scored 30+. The Trail Blazers are 5-2 in those games.

· Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum are the third set of teammates with 150+ three-pointers in the NBA this season (Hou. – Harden/Gordon/Anderson/Ariza; GSW – Curry/Thompson).

· CJ McCollum (34 points, 13-23 FG, 5-9 3-PT) scored 30+ points for the 13th time this season and the second time in four games.

· Damian Lillard (33 points, 13-27 FG, 4-11 3-PT) scored 30+ points for the 67th time in his career, breaking a tie with Kiki Vandeweghe for third most in franchise history (Drexler – 130, Petrie – 75).

· Allen Crabbe (14 points) scored in double-digits for the third straight game and the fifth time in the past six games.

· Maurice Harkless (15 points) has now reached double figures in four of the past five games.

· Al-Farouq Aminu (11 points, eight rebounds) has scored 10+ points in four of the past five games.

· John Wall (39 points, nine assists) has scored 25+ in four straight games.

· Bradley Beal (26 points, 5-10 3-PT) has made five three-pointers in three straight games. He is shooting 57.7% from deep during that span.

Darkwebs likes this.
  9. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

And your foot, too.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Nothing pisses me off more than hearing a player say it's the time of the season where these games, or the little things count. NO, _ame. Game fucking 1 is that time

Jade Falcon likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't know why him saying this pisses anyone off....he's played great all season...pretty much carried the team from game 1.....now the playoff hunt in the west has 3 teams within a couple games of making the first round...to me..that's what he's talking about....if they want the playoffs...each game has more impact now. See GS....they can lose out now since they beasted early and still make the finals.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  12. Mediocre Man

Each game counts equally. They've played zero defense all year and now are in panic mode because of it.

13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Man, Have you never tried your hardest at something and still fail? or still get beat?
    I've watched almost every game this season. Some of them a couple of times. IT is not for lack of effort. Your pissiness is merely a construct of your own mindset. Not of their play.

You simply refuse, ignore and flat out deny many positive things this season.
    You will cease to be pissed when you cease to dwell on the negative and just take things for what they are and enjoy momentum when it is there, and right now there is momentum and Dame knows it.

Like he said. Yes they were up big, but the nba is about runs and things happen. Many games come down to a couple of plays at the end like this one and this one was taken from them. Pretty simple.
    Your need to get pissed over one line shows your inability to put aside the past and focus on the moment. If you think Dame doesn't know he gets beat alot; doesn't care about improving his D and just wants to put up numbers, then you will never be happy. Because you are wrong.
    Only one team wins each year. I supposed every fan of all the others should be pissed, because they all have issues that prevented them from winning too right?
    But then Why even be a fan?

Its okay MM, no need to get pissed. you are trying to pull way more out of his statement than its meant for and even worth the effort. Again, if you don't think that Dame thinks that game 1 is just as important as game 82, then you don't know much about Dame and this team. Do you not remember how he started this season out, or shall I have to do the research for you and remind you he was on a record setting pace to start the season?

So for you to take the time to post about being pissed about a statement like this is just hilariously absurd and short minded in regards to the whole season.

14. Mediocre Man

No defensive effort from our PG

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

You are high. I watched him fight through many a screen last night. He will never be great. You need to come to that realization and stop beating a dead horse.

16. Mediocre Man

We watched different games then

17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Or you need to see an eye doctor. Is your vision as narrow as your thought process? lol.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  18. Mediocre Man

Yes, lets name call. Thats productive. They said themselves in Slys quotes thread they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. Are they narrow minded also?

Strenuus likes this.