Gannon's recovery

Discussion in 'AFC West' started by Send em back al, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Send em back al

Send em back al nfl-*****s member

I see that Gannon is about six weeks from beginning to throw the ball (after his shoulder surgery). That puts him ahead of schedule for recovery, but at age 37 how much does he have left. The stuff between his ears is good enough, but I can tell you that 37 year-old legs don't go as far or fast... 37 year-old bodies take longer to stop hurting... 37 year-old Qb's can't go on forever even when they are throwing the ball to players older than themselves. I figure that with his good health he can hang around the game another two or three seasons. I'm not sure it is the best interest of the RAIDERS to maintain him as the starter. There are several young players on the roster. Many of them have tasted the sweet victory of the 2002 season as well as the bitter horror that has been 2003. Rich might be too proud to be the clipboard guy. He may not be given a choice. Sorry for the ramble, I haven't had a place to express myself lately. [​IMG]

2. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

Hey Chip! Will the Raiders go after Manning in the draft or are they satisfied with Tui? I know that Gannon is slated as the starter next season, but it is truly just a matter of time. Was curious what you and RTR thought.

3. Send em back al

Send em back al nfl-*****s member

I'll get back to you with more thoughts on the issue. I just logged in for a quick peak before heading out this AM... And I'm already running late. I was actually considering how <u>I</u> felt about Tui when I was writing the note above.

4. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

I'll be looking forward to your pearls of wisdom... I can't wait to see who drafts Manning.

5. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Send Em Back Al wrote:

I see that Gannon is about six weeks from beginning to throw the ball (after his shoulder surgery). That puts him ahead of schedule for recovery, but at age 37 how much does he have left. The stuff between his ears is good enough, but I can tell you that 37 year-old legs don't go as far or fast... 37 year-old bodies take longer to stop hurting... 37 year-old Qb's can't go on forever even when they are throwing the ball to players older than themselves. I figure that with his good health he can hang around the game another two or three seasons. I'm not sure it is the best interest of the RAIDERS to maintain him as the starter. There are several young players on the roster. Many of them have tasted the sweet victory of the 2002 season as well as the bitter horror that has been 2003. Rich might be too proud to be the clipboard guy. He may not be given a choice. Sorry for the ramble, I haven't had a place to express myself lately. [​IMG]
    </div>

I suppose it might depend more about how far under the salary cap they are before next season. At this point, I believe that Charles Woodson is still the best CB that the Raiders have and have had in many years. Both Gannon and Woodson will be taking huge chunks out of the salary pool next year. Woodson needs to get signed within the next 10 weeks (and he's likely going to get as much money as he wants). Would the Raiders have enough money for both of these guys and still be paying everyone else on the roster? I would take Woodson over Gannon at this point, especially since there will be a Heisman Trophy candidate available when it's their turn to pick in the draft. Besides, like you pointed out, Gannon is 37.

So Mr. Davis, please
    Pay Woodson.
    Sign Eli Manning.
    Make Gannon restructure his contract.