Garnett punches Rickert:

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by PLATWolve, Aug 31, 2004.

1. PLATWolve

PLATWolve JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> "Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.</div>

<div align="center">Link </div>

2. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

3. Workaholic

Workaholic JBB JustBBall Member

Doesn't sound like Garnett at all...

4. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Damn this doesnt sound like Kevin Garnett to me. That is ****** up if it is true, but you know how each player has there own version of a story. I am surprised that Ricket is the only player talking right now if this had really happened I am sure managment would be talking about it.

I was not there though didnt we what happened dont know what happened so I am not going to say anyone is a a**** in this situation yet because it is still developing, but honestly if he is talented he will be put on the roster look at Patterson and Randolph having that fight a couple seasons back yet there still both on the team. This can probably be used as an excuse though if he does not make the team.

5. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

If this indeed is true, i have just lost a lot of respect for KG. That's terrible.

6. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

There must be some more surrounding this story, which was no brought to light. It would be very uncharacteristic of Garnett to do what he did. But not only it would be an uncharacteristic for Garnett to do what he did, it's uncharacteristic for any professional athlete to do that. Like I've said there must be more to this story if not Garnett should be heavily penalized.

7. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

It just doesn't work for me. If that happened the way they say it, that is insane. I wasn't there so I don't know and cannot judge. Reminds me of when Francisco said that KG "tapped the boys".

8. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

"Tapped the Boys" LOL. I dont think KG did this, he's mature and if he did do this then there must've been a good reason, Rickert probably did something real nasty to tick him off.

9. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Not enough coverage or a story to be remontly enough information (for now) to consider this to be true.

10. jiggax23

jiggax23 JBB JustBBall Member

this is out of character for KG, but i'm not gonna sit here and defend him regardless of what the circumstances were... we all praised KG for not retaliating against peeler, and he shoulda done the same here if something pushed his button so to speak. i am a bit disappointed in his actions, but everyone makes mistakes (even the best of them). jordan punched kerr, kobe punched walker, shaq slapped kobe, etc. things happen in the heat of the moment, and im pretty sure this was all this was. once more media outlets get this story, they will blow it out of proportion and make it out to be bigger than it is...

11. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

Yeah, very uncharacteristic of KG. There must be a reason for this. The media is making this look like all KG's fault, there must be a reason why he punched him. I mean KG didn't even punch Peeler when he knocked in the face with an elbow, I doubt he'd punch a rookie for getting past him? The person who wrote this is obviously making it seem like a one way thing, making Rickert look innocent when there is some fault by him as well. I'm guessing that he got past KG and scored and started talking major trash or something but it must have been something really extreme for KG to punch him.

This would have been bigger news, I don't really but it unless I hear KG's side of it.

12. Sabretooth

1 - When did this supposedly happen? When KG and Wally got into it, it was reported on before any of the bruises showed.

2 - How can people make an assumption this early without all of the specifics? Plus, like I said in my post below, none of us were there for judge the circumstance.

3 - Garnett is an emotional person. Can be considered fiery, but I have yet to see him lose control without provocation. With the Peeler incident he kept control. I've seen him throw the ball into the crowd...but there was reason for that.

4 - Garnett is human and can sometimes make mistakes, but if the situation was as innocent as reported, there should be some serious anger management classes attended.

BOTTOMLINE -
    It's too early and none of us were there witness the action. If it's a legit story, there WILL be more coverage.

13. jiggax23

jiggax23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting spawn:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, very uncharacteristic of KG. There must be a reason for this. The media is making this look like all KG's fault, there must be a reason why he punched him. I mean KG didn't even punch Peeler when he knocked in the face with an elbow, I doubt he'd punch a rookie for getting past him? The person who wrote this is obviously making it seem like a one way thing, making Rickert look innocent when there is some fault by him as well. I'm guessing that he got past KG and scored and started talking major trash or something but it must have been something really extreme for KG to punch him.

This would have been bigger news, I don't really but it unless I hear KG's side of it.</div>

i'm not saying theres not another side of the story, but what if there really is no other side of the story? why must there be another reason why KG did this? Even if there is another reason, such as the guy talking trash to KG after getting passed him, its still no excuse for his actions. Regardless of what happened, his action is still out of line (unless he was defending himself, which i doubt because the guy didn't even touch KG according to the very blunt reports). this is probably KGs fault, but like i said, even the best of people make mistakes. this doesn't mean his actions should be excused, but just get past it and move on... more 20-10-5, more mvp's, and more great play from KG

14. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Well KG did say last year that Minny practices/practice games get more heated then any other practices in the league. I remember MJ had a fare share of competive practice inncidents during his hayday as well. So I guess it just the competive nature of the truely great ones but if this is true this is taking it a bit far. KG is the standard of the league and the T-wolves,he clearly has to conduct himself in a better manner. He has played pickup games in some of the roughest neighborhoods in South Carolina and Chi-town growing up, so he probably had a flashback like he was in a pickup game on the block lol.

15. jyd2k4

jyd2k4 JBB JustBBall Member

take this for what u will but a poster on this other board was there and this is what he said:

"alright enough of bashing my homie!!!!! Rickert set a mean a$$ back pick on kg. kev told him not to set those type of picks then rickert came down the court and scored and started talking **** with kris humphris (who also got thrown out the gym by kev a few years ago) kg didnt respond he just put his head down and started pointing to his brain tryin to calm himself down while rickert was laughing.A couple of plays later rickert calls a phatom foul and kev didnt like that and they exchanged words (cussing), but kg gave in to my suprise and rickert got the ball. then the next play rickert hits kg in the back with another pick and as they went down court told kris humphris (i got him,i got him) and that put kg over the top he ran up on rickert and mushed him in his face then str8 up punched him he his jaw everyone grabbed kg while rickert was bend over holding his jaw."

16. invertedzero

invertedzero JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jyd2k4:</div><div class="quote_post">take this for what u will but a poster on this other board was there and this is what he said:

"alright enough of bashing my homie!!!!! Rickert set a mean a$$ back pick on kg. kev told him not to set those type of picks then rickert came down the court and scored and started talking **** with kris humphris (who also got thrown out the gym by kev a few years ago) kg didnt respond he just put his head down and started pointing to his brain tryin to calm himself down while rickert was laughing.A couple of plays later rickert calls a phatom foul and kev didnt like that and they exchanged words (cussing), but kg gave in to my suprise and rickert got the ball. then the next play rickert hits kg in the back with another pick and as they went down court told kris humphris (i got him,i got him) and that put kg over the top he ran up on rickert and mushed him in his face then str8 up punched him he his jaw everyone grabbed kg while rickert was bend over holding his jaw."</div>

what other board?????? link?

17. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

If it is true, I'm sure there's another reason aside from him scoring on KG. KG does have the tenacity to hit people. Remember when he hit Duncan in the head when DUncan was trying to pacify some players fighting?

But I doubt that this is true.

18. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jyd2k4:</div><div class="quote_post">take this for what u will but a poster on this other board was there and this is what he said:

"alright enough of bashing my homie!!!!! Rickert set a mean a$$ back pick on kg. kev told him not to set those type of picks then rickert came down the court and scored and started talking **** with kris humphris (who also got thrown out the gym by kev a few years ago) kg didnt respond he just put his head down and started pointing to his brain tryin to calm himself down while rickert was laughing.A couple of plays later rickert calls a phatom foul and kev didnt like that and they exchanged words (cussing), but kg gave in to my suprise and rickert got the ball. then the next play rickert hits kg in the back with another pick and as they went down court told kris humphris (i got him,i got him) and that put kg over the top he ran up on rickert and mushed him in his face then str8 up punched him he his jaw everyone grabbed kg while rickert was bend over holding his jaw."</div>

You have a hell of an imagination if you made that up. I was really in to that recap.

You know that you have cloudt when you punch another player in his jaw and people are wondering whether or not to bring the player back who got hit. KG is probably still battling w/ the fact that he got hit in his face on national television by Peeler and did nothing (and looked like he didn't want to do anything). His rant about "having to go to war" w/ the Kings showed me that he wanted the public to know that he wasn't a sucker. KG is a very intense player and I think that he just lost control. It happens sometimes, nobody is perfect.

19. Sabretooth

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting invertedzero:</div><div class="quote_post">what other board?????? link?</div>

I, too, would like to know about this link. But the picture does have more substance than the reports shown. This story, true or not, seems to have a ring of truth. But then you wonder, in this scenario, why would Rickert be talking trash? KG is not the person to diss if you want to come to the organization. That part is hard for me to accept. But skermishes at practice aren't a big deal to me, unless they were unwarranted. The paper may have left out the specifics to sale the story. But as a bad guy?

20. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

IMO This couldn't possibly and isn't true. Yes we all have fallen in love with the league's raining MVP and his big heart but there;s no bad side to this man that anyone could possibly see in and know about from him. This would be an act of a selfish player other than the Kevin Garnett we all know and love today. There isn't enough coverage or information for this to be ture like Purehoops stated.