Gay tumbles during trial, may miss entire olympics

Discussion in 'PyeongChang 2018' started by tim, Jul 5, 2008.

1. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Entire Article

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>EUGENE, Ore. -- Tyson Gay went down Saturday and the question is when he will be able to get back up.

One week after setting the American record in the 100 meters and also running that distance faster than anyone else ever has, Gay's quest to double up at the Olympics in the 200 ended prematurely and painfully during a quarterfinal heat when he collapsed due to what was described as a "severe cramp" in his left hamstring.

Gay pulled up about a dozen strides into the race, after perhaps 40 meters. He collapsed to the ground and lay there as his competitors raced ahead and a stunned Hayward Field crowd went silent. Officials quickly brought a modified stretcher onto the track and wheeled him to the medical tent for examination.

"Before I went out on the track I felt a little tightness in my hamstring. So I had kind of a bad feeling," Gay said through his promotional agency. "When I came off the curve the first two steps were fine, and then I felt it, sort of a pull, about 40 meters in. Once I was on the ground it didn't hurt as much as when it happened."

Gays's personal physiotherapist , Benny Vaughn, said they would observe the hamstring for 48 hours, but that it was likely Gay could run the 100 in Beijing. Gay said he felt the cramp in the same place as when he cramped during the 2004 Olympic trials which cost him a chance in the Athens Games.

Gay has already qualified for the 100 meters and 400 relay team. But the defending world champion is ineligible to run the 200 -- his best event -- in the Olympics because he did not finish in the top three here. Such is the nature of the Trials.</div>

2. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

I really hope that he'll be at 100%, at least for the 100 meter run. I was really looking forward to seeing Gay/Bolt/Powell