Gee DNP?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blue9, Mar 26, 2015.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to watch the game last night, but I'm more than a little surprised to see that after Gee's solid performance against GSW - and his first extended minutes as a Blazer - he gets rewarded with a DNP. Can I add this to a list of reasons why I think Stotts is mediocre, or was there a good reason for him not playing?

I'm all for getting Crabbe some PT, but in the limited minutes that Gee has played he's proven to be better than his competition (Crabbe & Wright) for back-up SF minutes.

Blazer4ever likes this.
  2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

You're right. You didn't watch the game.

If you would have, you would have known that Crabbe and Wright both played well and contributed to the win. I suspect with Gobert playing goalie at the rim, Stotts wanted some 3-point threats to spread the floor more than a slasher type like Gee. That's exactly what Crabbe (2-4 on 3-pointers) and Wright (3-7 from deep) provided. Between them, they had 23 points and 10 rebounds. Maybe that Stotts fellow actually knows what he's doing. He figured out a way to beat the second best team in the league since the all star break, on their floor on the 2nd night of a home-away back-to-back while missing multiple key players due to injury.

BNM

S550, dviss1 and HailBlazers like this.
  3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I would add the fact that Gee played a LOT against Golden State, and after not playing very much for so long, I'm thinking his legs were a little more rubbery than usual yesterday...

4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Let's not forget them missing their best player as well.

5. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Now that could be a decent reason. Thanks for that!

6. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Not to mention. While Gee played hard overall against the Warriors, he did provide some head scratching moments on offense.

7. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

If Gee wants to play more he needs to stop forcing Geeump shots.

SheedSoNasty and HailBlazers like this.
  8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I think this is a decent reason too:

9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

No more head-scratching than our general offensive philosophy.

10. Boob-No-More

If you get a chance to see it, go back and watch the 4th quarter of last night's game. Wright (especially) and Crabbe's play in the 4th was the key to the win. Wright hit two big momentum changing 3s early in the 4th. Utah started the 4th with a double digit lead and was packing the paint to prevent "easy" baskets and offensive rebounds. When Wright made those 3-pointers, Utah was forced to defend out to the 3-point line. That opened things up for Aldridge to go to work down low and Lillard to drive and finish/get to the line.

Our offense relies on multiple 3-point threats to spread the floor. With Wes out for the season and Batum out last night, we needed Wright and Crabbe knocking down 3s to spread the floor That's exactly what they did, and it worked like a charm in the 4th. Gee has only made one 3-pointer in his 9 games as a Blazer (Wright and Crabbe combined for 3 made 3s in the 4th quarter alone last night). Gee simply does not space the floor the way Crabbe and Wright do. With Hayward out last night, it's not like we needed Gee's defense. Crabbe and Wright played acceptable defense and gave us the floor spacing we needed. And, once the floor was spread Dame and Aldridge took over and carried us to the win.

BNM

11. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Except that those stats aren't a reason for Gee's DNP - they came after the fact.

12. Boob-No-More

That head-scratching offensive philosophy worked like a charm in the 4th quarter last night - spread the floor with multiple 3-point threats and then attack the paint.

magnifier661 and dviss1 like this.
  13. Boob-No-More

They came as a direct result of Stotts deciding to play Crabbe and Wright over Gee. Given how well it worked, it seems like it was a pretty damn good decision, don't you think?

Stotts had his reasons to play Crabbe and Wright over Gee. Those reasons were proven valid by the results.

That begs the question: Why did you start a thread bashing Stotts for a decision that led directly to a much needed win? Would you rather he "reward" Gee and we lose the game?

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  14. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for a response without the snark of the original.
    I understand the need for spacing, but given the injuries and Gee's solid performance the night before it's a little off-putting to see that he got a DNP-CD. Now, if he lost his legs due to the previous night's game that's a decent reason for holding him out (though I'm skeptical that a professional athlete would be so out of shape). But I'm so sick and tired of Stotts' philosophy of "spacing" and winning games with jump shots. We need to diversify our portfolio, and that's exactly what Gee does - he brings things to the table that no other player does. He creates easy scoring opportunities through his hustle. If we're going to win a Playoff series Gee will be more instrumental to that happening than Crabbe. But without getting consistent minutes he'll continue to free-lance...which might actually be better than a Stotts set play.

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I swear... you're one of the only posters who come in after a win and find some bullshit to nit pick about. We win the game and you complain about Gee not getting any time when Wright and Crabbe (WAY better shooters) are having great games? Give that shit a rest bro....

16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Sure - sometimes it works. Last night we eked out a 3-point win. Yay us!
    But our offense is FAR from being championship-level.

17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

So, because we beat UTH things are hunky-dory now? No room for complaints or improvement? Mkay.

18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

What you complained about was some bullshit... So no...

19. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    blue9- winning the game is more important than any individual's minutes. Also, we have one of the best offenses in the league. STFU.

20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Gee... DNP...

GeeNP!

Cause he's GeeNP, he's dynamite
    GeeNP and he'll win the fight
    GeeNP he's a power load
    GeeNP watch him explode

Sinobas, julius, BBert and 1 other person like this.