Getting a pick in the draft

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I'm almost certain Olshey doesn't give a shit about this year's draft (and is probably relieved not to have another opportunity to embarrass himself), and, while Paul Allen loved the draft, and was always ready to search around in his couch cushions for the $3m it took to buy a pick, I get the impression those days are in the past.

HOWEVER, never one to give up hope, here are my suggestions for getting involved in the draft. (I'm not going to include trading Dame for a shitload of picks, because that's not going to happen until NEXT Summer.)

1. Swap DJJJr for our old pal Aminu and Chicago's only pick, #38.
    (Likelihood: low, but not because it doesn't make sense, but because of Olshey's stubbornness. I think one reason he finally turned on Stotts was because Stotts made the Jones Jr. signing look as dumb as it was. He's for sure going to give Derrick another shot. But then again, with Zach decisively out of the picture, we need a backup PF way more than we need a wing.)

2. Work on New Orleans. They have (deep breath) #34, #40, #43 and #53. If we're honest, only the first couple are worth a damn, because players taken in the second half of the second round very rarely pan out. But, hey, they're probably anxious to get rid of those picks.

3. Work on OKC. This is going to be a perennial. There is no fucking way Presti can use all the picks he's amassed. My guess is he's going to keep multiplying them by trading each pick in the draft to teams desperate to get in for TWO picks down the road, until his master plan of owning EVERY PICK IN AN ENTIRE DRAFT comes to fruition. OKC owns: #6, #18, #35, #36, #55.

4. Work on Houston (AKA: the poor man's OKC). They own #2, #18, #23, #24, but oddly no second rounders. My bet is they try to bundle the three lower ones for a second top-10 pick. There's smoke that Detroit really wants Jalen Green and Houston is DESPERATE for Cunningham, but I just do not see Detroit not taking Cade Cunningham.

5. See what Nas brings us. I'd love it if, as Fez suggests, we could swap Nas for Usman Garuba, but really, would any team do that? Has Nas shown anything in the league to make teams want him? I bet you could do that with Anfernee, but then again, would Olshey do that?

2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I like the post, but don't give up on Nassir. He's working hard on his game, and looks pretty dog gone good. None of these draft picks is a given. Neil has had success in the 2nd round (Barton, Trent Jr.). If there's a guy they like, they can purchase a pick with cash. I only trade Nas & Ant, if it's to go along with CJ to get a serious player that elevates this roster. Not for another developmental prospect. That makes no sense.

BonesJones and glazeduck like this.
  3. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

I'm the biggest draft lover you'll ever meet. I'll watch every pick plus pre- and post-draft analysis next week and have for the past ~30 years. But I have to wonder what message using ANY asset -- aside from maybe cash -- would send to Dame. Hard to sell him on being all in if you're trading a guy like Nas for an unproven, unseasoned 19 year old. Perhaps it'd be the kind of deal where Dame has to make the suggestion, but I just don't think it's the right way to spend what little we have this offseason, unfortunately. It's a bummer, but it's the situation we find ourselves in...

UKRAINEFAN, blazerkor and tykendo like this.
  4. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Brilliant.

Criticize Olshey for not making any big moves and proceed to take up space on a message board with the idea to make the smallest move ever.

Good stuff.

5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I think once you start thinking like that, you should just resign. If you believe in a prospect then you go out and fucking acquire him. Suppose he's Saddiq Bey last year? He played way more than Nas did.
    And if it allows you to get Usman Garuba, well, Dame was just beaten by a team that featured him, so he better approve!
    [EDIT: Spain did NOT beat the USA. Oops.]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

have PDX & OKC completed any trade since Olshey boned Presti by making a max offer to Enes Kanter?

BBert likes this.
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I have seen nothing to make me believe Neil does not like the draft, but hey a lot of people here were adamant about giving up the pick for Roco. I questioned it but I am Ok with him backing up both forward spots this upcoming year.

I would love to jump into the first round for Duarte (love his versatility) but just because Terry did not play Little his first two years (Injuries and Covid were part of the reason) does not mean he is not ready to contribute. I think he can start at SF.

I really think we are just a quality PF away from being really good. (Assuming we resign NP) A backup center is certainly needed too, but a quality
    2-way PF
    who can flat out score would make all the difference in the world. That needs to be Neils's focus.

I am sure Chauncey can entice a vet to back up Dame at the point.

Hoopguru likes this.
  8. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    When you are a small-market team like Portland, you just cannot ignore the draft ever. You're NOT getting FAs, and the only way to acquire anyone in trade is to have assets. So you have to draft well. Look at the Bucks and Toronto - champions with no high draft picks. And the Bucks in particular drafted really well.

The one bright spot in Olshey's tenure has been our second-round picks. No stars in there, but some starters (e.g., Will The Thrill). Obviously we have some good scouts. Don't waste them!

Look, let's be honest: we're not winning a title with Dame. It just ain't happening. So, mortgaging your future in an attempt to make him happy? Stupid.

James lamphear likes this.
  9. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I'm willing to sacrifice Olshey as part of getting a trade done.

TBpup likes this.
  10. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    Some Bucks fans said the same thing when they threw everything and the kitchen sink to get Holiday.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021
    1 Eye Jack, blazerkor and RR7 like this.
  11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Every once in a while I try taking everybody off my ignore list. It's a bit like putting on the glasses in They Live
    [​IMG]
    Some people reliably go right back on it immediately.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021
  12. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

His sentiment is not uncommon

13. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Woj (on CJ's podcast) likened this draft to 03 (without the GOAT level talent in Lebron) but with lots of star potential near the top of the lottery.

He said we should expect a ton of trades of not only picks but also veteran players. I hated that we threw in this year's pick for Roco. Was hoping for that to be 22. Too bad we don't really have any avenues to get into it either.

Also, with the league putting a cap on the $ teams can send for picks in trades, buying draft picks is essentially impossible these days.

14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I like Nas too, but what is he good at? He strikes me as a smaller, broke man's Gerald Wallace. If he could ascend to Wallace's heights as a defender, then great. But he also is worryingly injury/accident prone. (Yes, I know COVID is not an injury, but that's just part of it.)

I honestly prefer CJ Elleby at this point - he shows more BBIQ and SF skills. Nas has the skills of a PF in a SF's body.

Be that as it may, I definitely prefer Nas over our $10M FA signing.

15. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Gerald Wallace wasn't Gerald Wallace until year 4. He had one of the most unexpected improvements later in his career after leaving Sac.

upload_2021-7-22_10-41-37.png

I really hope Chauncey gives Nas a shot, because the potential is very clearly there for him to be a two way wing for us.

BBert, Titan, TBpup and 1 other person like this.
  16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I get that his 3 point percentage only ended up at 35% last year after he started out hot. But when it comes to young players I don't give much credence to stats.
    His form looks great. I just find it hard to believe he won't be good at it.

What really surprises me about Nas is his ability to hit the 8-12 foot difficult jumpers when well defended. I did not expect it. His skill level is impressive.

Those are things I am pretty sure he will be good at. The rest he already is good at. You are right he has the skills of a PF in an SF body, but he also has the skills of an SF. Hell, some in here were suggesting he should play SG early in the season. (I would not go that far)

You surround him with Dame, NP, Nurk, and a PF who can score and he will clean up on missed shots. I saw a few rebound dunks to get me excited.
    I see nothing to suggest he won't be a solid defender with the right coaching. Not worried about his injuries either (Until he has a knee or foot problem)

17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

If Nas was from Europe @Rastapopoulos would be saying he's a mix between Batum and Jordan.

18. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor

Oh, that's right. Because memes win arguments obviously...

19. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

This seems an awful lot like a 2021 Draft thread and there's already one of those. Please Merge.

20. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Teams are worth so much now, the days of buying a useful pick for $3million are over. Maybe the team can buy a late second round pick but it's not terribly different from signing an undrafted player.

I dont see any point in adding a rookie unless the team decides to trade Lillard. Better to sign veteran minimum guys or a young player with a few years experience and upside. They can play much sooner than a 19 year old rookie.

Assuming we are keeping Dame, if anything the team should be trading away picks.

Titan and blazerkor like this.