OT Giannis

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, May 16, 2020.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    So, apparently it's an open secret that the Warriors are going after Antetokounmpo hard:

Report: Warriors have been readying to target Giannis Antetokounmpo

If this is true, or even if the Bucks think that Giannis is likely to leave in the Summer of 2021, what would you say to the Blazers trying to do what the Raptors did with Kawhi and pressure the Bucks to get something for Giannis before he leaves? Obviously it's a risk, but I don't think the Raptors regret it even though they lost Leonard. What would you offer? I say "basically anyone, including Dame" but you don't want to give too much otherwise he's bound to leave. But maybe we do the trade for Embiid first and then flip him for Giannis...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

If they got Giannis without giving up something serious, I would quit watching the NBA.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    At a minimum, they'd have to give up Draymond Green, probably whomever they select with their top-five pick this year and the Timberwolves' pick next year (which could be a great one in a loaded draft).

4. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    You're assuming they're trading for him. I get the impression the plan is to SIGN him. So look at whose contract expires Summer 2021 and then work it out. (Unless you mean trading someone to clear cap room.)

5. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

If he doesn’t resign with the Bucks it’ll probably GSW, Miami, or Toronto who will make the biggest push for him

6. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

And the Raptors are still a decent team. Look, we haven't won a championship since 1977. I would absolutely hate seeing Lillard traded. CJ, Nurk or anyone else in the right deal I can deal with but Lillard, that would be tough. If the goal is a championship though (And it should be) you have take that chance!

7. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    I haven't seen anything to suggest that they have a plausible route to cap space for him. The things I've read suggest they want to try to trade for him, potentially with Green as the centerpiece, alongside their current draft capital.

8. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I am all for the Blazers pulling a Toronto to get him, but he will be a lot harder to get than Kawhi. The Spurs and Kawhi were on the outs, and Spurs were open to trading him.

The Bucks will be trying their hardest to keep Giannis, not move him. The Blazers don't have the pieces outside of Lillard to interest the Bucks. Even if the Blazers sold the farm outside of Lillard and were able to get Giannis, the Blazers wouldn't have much of a team left outside Lillard and Giannis. That said, if you can get Lillard and the Greak Freak on the same team, you do it.

I don't see it happening though.

9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

If the Warriors get him and are able to keep Curry and Thompson, I will be pissed.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  10. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Giannis is loyal to the Bucks similar to how Lillard is to the Blazers. He's not going anywhere.

11. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    So he wants to leave, after the team had a great year last year, and were odds on favorite to win the title this year?

The entitled nature of some teams/fans bases is quite something to see.

12. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    To be fair, a year before, no one thought Kevin Durant was leaving Oklahoma City and certainly no one would have given the Warriors even a 1% chance to acquire him. I think it's smart to create plans for potential franchise-changing events, even if it's not the likeliest scenario, as long as it doesn't get in the way of your day-to-day business.

13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    There were rumblings that he and Westbrook were not exactly a cohesive unit, and that he (RW) was rubbing him the wrong way.

STOMP likes this.
  14. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Yes, but I remember that very few people thought, the off-season prior, he'd actually leave when he became a free agent. Even later that season, when reports were that he'd consider switching teams, Woj still said that the Thunder were the heavy favorites. And even at that point, few people thought he'd end up in Golden State--and he wouldn't have if the Warriors hadn't already planned for that eventuality.

And even in the case of Giannis, there are similar ahead-of-time reasons for the Warriors to think they have a shot--supposedly Giannis and Curry really like each other and would like to play together. That isn't enough on its own for me to think the Warriors are at all likely to get him, but it's enough IMO for the franchise to at least consider how they'd get it done if circumstances broke right.

15. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

Can't get him without giving up Dame and I'm not interested in giving up Dame. Dame is way better than DeRozen which is what Toronto gave up for Kawhi and Green.

16. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Wait... let me get this straight. You are saying that you would trade Dame, the greatest Blazer ever on and off the court, to rent Greek Freak for one year?!?! I mean seriously, that's what you're going with? DeRozan wasn't a good pairing with Lowry and was pretty much overrated. If you said you would do CJ for Giannis that would make sense but trading the past, present and future of our franchise... a guy who sets the culture, for a one year rental of a guy yet to hit his prime or win a championship/finals MVP (like Kawhi had) is crazy enough for me to think you're likely just putting out a hot take. However if you really think trading Dame for Giannis (who would be bound to leave this squad if it didn't have Dame) is a smart move please just say it again. Also not to be nitpicking but when you mention a Blazers trade in your post, it's not OT.

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Okay okay, you're right! Jeez. I take it back. Obviously, even though Giannis is better than Dame (sorry), it's not worth the risk if he can leave, and Dame means more to the franchise. FINE.

All of this could've been avoided if we'd've just drafted him.

blazerkor, STOMP and Chris Craig like this.
  18. Chris Craig

I doubt Milwaukee wants CJ. The sad thing is he makes more money than Giannis. The Blazers would have to give up Nurkic and two 1sets at least...but for that to work Milwaukee would have to send other players back to match salaries. It would be complicated and I don't see any deal Milwaukee would care to make. They would probably rather take their chances at getting him to stay.

I think Milwaukee would have won it all this year. A championship would have keep him there probably.

19. Chris Craig

CJ just signed an extension last year keeping him through 2024. I don't see the Blazers trading him at least for another season or two. What could the Blazers get for him anyway. Surely not Giannis

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    upload_2020-5-16_20-28-17.png
    Throw in the Sixers' pick of Little/Simons/Trent and our pick this year and...?