Giant fan roll call

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by gambitnut, Mar 18, 2009.

1. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    1. How long have you been a Giant fan?
    2. How many games to do you go to a year?
    3. What was your favorite game that you've been to?
    4. What was your favorite moment as a fan?
    5. Who is your favorite current player?
    6. Who's your favorite player ever?
    7. Who's your favorite player in the League?
    8. How well do you know the Giant farm system?

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Was kind of bread to be a Giants fan but was never a real fan until just a few years ago. My grandparents were Giants fans in New York way back in the day, coincidentally my grandfather got transferred to San Francisco at right after the Giants moved to SF. My grandparents, dad, step mom were all big Giants fans and I followed as a kid when Bonds was going nuts and the G's were a good team that went deep into the POs every year. Like I said though, didn't actually start being a legit fan till maybe junior year of HS (about two years ago).

Depends. I'd say between 2-5 a year.

Haven't been to any really famous games. I remember going to a lot of games at the stick when i was really young. More recently just going to friday night G's-Dodger games, they're always fun.

Lincecum winning Cy Young.

Pablo Sandoval, Freddy Lewis

Rob Nenn

Sandoval. If you mean outside the Giants then probably CC Sabathia.

Not that well. I know a moderate amount of info on the Giants' well known prospects. Don't know any of the intricacies of their farm system.

3. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

1. My whole life, really got into baseball about 1985 I guess

2. Try to make it to 6 or 7 games a year but now with a wife and daughter it's getting really expensive. Went to a lot more games at Candlestick. Pac Bell Park (that will always be the name as far as I'm concerned) is great but the experience of going to candlestick was awesome, only real fans there.

3. My favorite games I've been to were when Brian Johnson homered to beat the Dodgers in 1997 and either win the division or move them into the lead for the division. I was also at game 1 of the 2001 NLDS when the giants beat the mets. They lost the series but I went with my roommate at the time who is a Mets fan. We went through hell to get the tickets, got hammered, and I got to watch the giants win. I really thought that was going to be the year they won it all. The other favorite game was when Bonds hit #600 off of someone on the pirates. 600's not such a big deal now but at the time it was pretty cool.

4. Favorite moment was gloating after the giants beat the mets. Too bad that didn't last long. Damn you Benny Agbayani. If you change the question to include worst moment as a fan, it was when Solomon Torres lost the pennant in 1993 against the dodgers, and just days after I got his autograph at a card show.

5. Favorite current player is Tim Lincecum and Pablo Sandoval

6. Favorite player ever is Will Clark, without a doubt. Most hated is Robby Thompson but that's for another thread.

7. Fav in the league is probably Timmy again.

8. I suppose I know a decent amount about the farm system. Know all the main prospects and where they are but I'm not a minor league nut like some people I know.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    1. Too long
    2. Five
    3. Will Clark vs Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams in "Game 5 of the 1989 National League Championship Series. With the game tied at 1–1, Williams faced the Giants' superstar first baseman Will Clark (who by the end of the 1989 NLCS, hit .650 and drove in eight runs to go with a grand slam he hit off of Greg Maddux in Game 1). Clark took the first fastball for a strike, then fouled one away. Williams' next pitch missed the outside corner to bring the count to 1-and-2. After Clark fouled off two more pitches, he hit a screaming line drive up the middle to bring in two runs. Williams was removed, and NBC's cameras caught him in the dugout with a towel over his head. Moments later, the Giants would finish the Cubs off to win their first National League pennant in 27 years." :grin:
    4. I always enjoy going to spring training and watching a game on a sunny day, but still want to meet Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Cepeda, Clark, and other Giants greats. So far, I met, took pics, and got an authograph from Vida Blue
    5. Tim Lincecum
    6. Willie Mays
    7. Dice-K. I watched too many Boston games on MLB TV
    8. Not that well

5. SportsMistress

SportsMistress SportsMistress

Giants fan here... my 2nd NL team to the Reds

LET'S GO GIANTS!

6. rerics

rerics New Member

Since 1969, so 40 years (has it really been that long?)

Now, about 2. When I had more time, about 6.

1993, Giants beat the expansion Rockies something like 18-3. Bonds hit a grand slam, Clark and someone else hit 3-run bombs.

When Will Clark destroyed the Cubs in the '89 NLCS; specifically when he drove home the winning runs in Game 5.

Pitcher: Lincecum
    Position Player: Sandoval

Willie Mays. I was fortunate to see him play. Saw him hit a home run on Bat Day 1970 at the Stick.

I assume you mean outside the Giants. Maybe Ryan Howard.

Only the prospects that are either in AAA or nearing the majors.

7. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance

Since probably around 1985 or so.

3 - 4

Any game at Candlestick. The one I remember the most is the one where I didn't pay attention to the game but I got an Atlee Hammaker pin. My friends gave it to me because he was the closest player that looked like me.

Any big moment that I can cheer with my mom, also a big Giants (sports) fan. Cheesy, I know, but it's just funny and awesome that this little old Japanese lady gets so riled up over American sports.

Timmy

Kevin Mitchell

Ichiro

I know it well enough that it's holding Buster Posey hostage. LOL