Giants Get Ryan Garko

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by Shapecity, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Source: CNNSI

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Decent move. I hear the G's inquired about N. Johson but were told it would take Sanchez to get him. With the news that Randy Johnson could be out a long time we really need Sanchez right now. Garko is a career .280 hitter in his own right, hes got a lot more pop, hes a righty hitter, and cost us basically a future reliever. Nice deal.

Not a huge difference maker but if we couple this with a Freddy Sanchez trade as rumors are saying we might today then it'll solidify our lineup. Still lacking some power but at least we add two guys who are at least solid hitters at their positions.

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I like the move by the Giants. I heard the trade for Freddy Sanchez from the Pirates might still happen depending on his health. He'd be another nice upgrade at 2B and a player who can get on base and grind out doubles.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah I read that its Bowker, Frandsen, and Guzman for Sanchez. Here's the latest from fox:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9866498/MLB-trade-deadline-buzz:-Wednesday's-edition

Another tidbit from the same link:
    I would love to get Willingham. Don't know that much about him but does he play nice defense? We can't afford a poor defender in the outfield but I like his numbers on offense. Sanchez would be good too and I'd have no problem moving the prospects listed above. I've hated Frandsen from the first time they called him up and never understood the hype surrounding him. Bowker has a little potential offensively but ultimately can't hit RHPs and probably won't end up being a difference maker. Guzman has shown a nice bat in the minors and hasn't had much of a chance with the big club sop might as well move him before the fans fall in love with him. He could end up being a nice hitter in the league though but I'd still move him for Sanchez. Wonder what kind of package it would take to get Josh Willingham.

5. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

I'd love Sanchez and those prospects really aren't much, but without giving up pitching I'm not sure what we could offer for Willingham. Maybe Burriss, or that guy in SJ who's crushing the ball this year, I can't think of his name- the OF, not Villalona. I'd even deal Pucetas for him but I doubt the Giants would.

Either way, they need to do something. Cain throws 9 shutout innings today, only 3 hits, and we can't manage to get him 1 run? Cain deserves the Cy Young this year, he needs all the wins he can get.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009