Giants may unload Manny Burriss with Renteria on the way

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by Charles, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3740381
    That sucks. What happened to pitching, defense, and speed? I know Burriss will never hit more than five homeruns in a season, but that doesn't mean he's completely worthless, does it? The kid is fast as hell. He probably will end up a second baseman anyways, so what does it matter if they sign Renteria? If you want to trade one of the kids, I'd rather they give up Ivan Ochoa or Eugenio Velez. It's not like they are going to get much for Burriss anyways.

Hopefully this is just some writer (it's from the AP) making a guess and trying to fill up space.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Agree with you Charles, I can't see how its a good idea to give him up unless we're getting that corner infielder who can hit the damn ball. But then who will play second base? I thought the plan was to have Burriss at 2B? Please lord tell me I don't have to see Kevin Frandsen start, ugh.

3. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

Second base is basically going to be an open competition in camp between Frandsen and Burriss. Right now I'd have to give the edge to Burriss considering Frandsen is coming back from a major injury, but I do think Frandsen will eventually start somewhere. They say Travis Ishikawa is going be the everyday guy at first base, but if he has trouble they could always move Pablo Sandoval to first, start Frandsen at third (what they expected to do this past year before he got injured), and have Burriss start at second. Ishikawa is the best glove they have though, so he'll get plenty of chances.

I think we'll see plenty of both Burriss and Frandsen this season.