Giants on list of suitors for Big Unit

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by Charles, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/12/SPC014MF2J.DTL&feed=rss.giants

Interesting that they won't be "outbid" I'm not sure if that means they're willing to pay whatever it takes or if no one is offering a lot. Maybe a little of both. I remember reading there were about ten teams interested in Johnson, but never really expected him to have much interest in the Giants. They must be at least on his mind for them to say what they did about the Giants and then about the A's.
    Him going for win number 300 doesn't mean too much to me (don't get me wrong, it's a great accomplishment, but it doesn't mean a whole lot to the Giants organization or their fans), but at least you know he'll be motivated for the first month or two of the season.
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the last (two) rotation spot(s). Lincecum, Zito, and Cain are locks. Sanchez is (for now). For the moment, Noah Lowry is the number five, depending on his health. But he's a huge question mark. If they sign Johnson, who gets the last spot? I would assume they've learned that Sanchez is a starter and don't fuck around and put him back in the bullpen. Who do they trade though? They would get nothing for Lowry until he goes out and proves he's healthy, and they wouldn't get a decent enough return for Sanchez after his second half tailspin.
    Should they sign Johnson? Someone else? Nobody? Who's the fifth starter if Lowry can't go? I don't think it's Pucetas.

2. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

i think that lowe would be a great #2 behind lincecum, and then they should get johnson too.

lincecum
    lowe
    big unit
    cain
    zito

make it happen.

3. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

I just think it would be funny seeing Lincecum and Johnson sitting next to each other on the bench for an entire season. It would look like a father and son at the game!

4. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

lol This is what I was thinking. To tell the truth, Johnson just isn't the same anymore and he's just really going off his name now IMO

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

How about the Big Unit coming out of the bullpen to close games? I think he's done as a starter. Any updates on Merkin Valdez? Will he pitch again?

Charles likes this.
  6. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

Valdez is a guy I like, but his health is suge a big issue at this point that you can't count on him. Wilson is still the closer, and Affeldt, Romo, and Howry will be the main set up guys. Jack Taschner will be back, but I hope he gets passed up by Alex Hinshaw. They still have Keiichi Yabu as well, but he'll probably be the long reliever/mop up duty guy.

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Damn I had high expectations for Merkin and he's never been healthy to showcase his skills. Poor guy. I'm not sure why Big Unit would want to come to SF besides money. The team isn't competitive with the current roster and we haven't made any big moves in free agency since the Zito debacle.

8. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

The best thing about this move is the the Giants have 2 young power pitchers (Cain, Sanchez) who look like they could be great but haven't put it together yet. I think Johnson can teach them alot. If he wins 12-14 games in the process, that's just a bonus.

9. FSH

FSH Member

one of the best move of the offseason so far Giants got alot of young pitchers that could really learn from Big Unit

10. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

Now if only they could actually hit the baseball and support the staff a bit. I think Aaron Rowand's gonna have a big year now that he is settled in.

11. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

i really like this, we need to sign manny now.

lincecum
    RJ
    Cain
    Zito
    Dirty sanchez

please please zito, pull it together and pitch some decent ball, we will win the west if he does.

rowand
    wynn
    renteria
    manny
    lewis
    molina
    sandoval
    burress

with posey waiting in the goddamn wings.

12. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    My pitching rotation would be to throw the Big Unit before Zito. Then you're throwing two former Cy Young award winners back-to-back (yeah, it's more hype than reality maybe, but it gives us a mental edge) and Zito's fast ball and curve ball would look a lot more off-speed after the Big Unit's outing. Actually, you're throwing three Cy Youngs in-a-row, so it sounds even more awesome.

Tim
    Matt
    Sanchez
    Big Unit
    Zito

Right now, the SP rotation looks promising and I like RJ's signing. Of course, Johnson could be a bust and Zito lives up to past seasons and is more suited for a strait jacket than a SP warm up jacket. Even if Johnson is a bust on the mound, he should help Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum develop their sliders and as a second pitching coach.

As for a bat, let's get a young one, Sabean. However, I'm not hopeful because there are so many old FA bats on the market to turn Sabean's head so much that it may screw off :grim:.