Giants sign Schwartz, Jennings, lose Joseph

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by dumpstralmannow, Mar 11, 2014.

1. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

Joseph was a good player but I'm not a fan at spending big for a DT unless he's amazing and Jennings is not. I like Hankins as well. Schwartz was a great signing. Some thought he was the best guard in FA. A road grater who is huge and mean. Something our crap line needed. Jennings doesn't have many miles on him and the team needed a RB. They signed some LB who isn't too impressive. At least they got a guard and RB. I heard they are going after GB's center.

2. vette322

vette322 Member

Good moves: Schwartz and Jennings. Schwartz should start right away at LG, and if they can draft that OT from Michigan in Round 1, they will be much better on the left side of the line. Move Beatty to RG, keep Pugh at RT, sign a C in FA, and have Snee and Boothe as backups. Of course if Beatty isn't ready to go.....Jennings played well behind a suspect Oakland OL, and may even be better behind a revamped Giants OL.

Bad Moves: Signing Schofield, Losing Joseph. I think Schofield got more $$$ than his talent suggests, but hopefully he lives up to a $4M salary. Losing Joseph - big mistake - proven player, 25 years old, solid run stuffer, can put good pressure on the pocket, SB title - you can only hope a guy like Hankins can develop into a player like Joseph. Having both of them in the middle of the line would mean having 1 less area to shore up. It's too bad Reese whiffed on Marvin Austin - he could have been the guy that made Joseph expendable. Jenkins, Patterson - older guys.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

DL players for the most part are just fat guys who have to clog the middle so teams can't run. Only the rare few can rush the passer and Joseph really can't do much of that. I have no idea why they paid the LB unless they plan on using him as a DE which I doubt. Hoping they sign the GB center but Tampa is spending like drunken sailors and they still would suck. However, if they get the GB center, they can then probably go back to their stupid philosophy of taking the best player available. If they sign a center and guard in FA, I think they will take Gilbert the CB if he is there.