Giants to enter CC Sabathia sweepstakes

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by Run BJM, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2008/11/giants_to_enter_sabathia_sweep.html

Bring him home!

2. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    What's the point? They're going to spend $100 mil to fix the one problem they don't have?

3. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Bring him to the Bay!

4. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

I still think he's going to the Yankees. They won't let him get away.

My first thought when reading this was "Zito will have no pressure, maybe he can pitch well as our fourth starter." Honest.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Pitching = winning. Lincecum/CC is SICK. Of course there's that big fat blemish Barry Zito pitching 4th or 5th in the rotation and making 100 mils. Ugh. Add Cain in there and it's insane but I get the feeling that he would be traded for a bat if we landed CC. We could opt to trade Sanchez or Lowry but I don't think the bats we'd get in return would be very helpful.

I agree that its weird to drop that kind of money on another pitcher... but dude's a beast. I wouldn't be mad at all for landing CC, even at an expensive price. I think he'll probably go to the Yankees too but he really loves the Bay Area so if the G's make a competitive offer they've got a shot at him.

6. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

Why bother?

The Yankees will give him $200M if they have to.

7. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Drive up the FA price for pitching. The Giants and the rest of the league get to pay even more! :ghoti::ghoti::ghoti:

8. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

You need more than pitching. Look at Peavy. He was dealing and had a poor w/l record.

I agree with JE, I think the Giants have problems elsewhere they can solve with the $100M (Beyond adding Furcal).

Why not throw the money at Manny?

Adding Manny and Furcal will really strengthen the lineup.

-Petey

9. JE

JE Suspended

The Giants had pitching last year, and they didn't win. CC would be a huge waste of money for a team that doesn't need him. Why not throw all that money towards building some semblance of a batting order?

10. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

To be honest, their pitching outside of Lincecum was incredibly inconsistent last year. Cain had a decent year, but went through a few rough stretches. Sanchez started out well, and then ran into problems at the end of the year. Zito did pretty much the same thing, only in reverse (start out horrible, then pitch well). The fifth spot was a question mark for essentially every start last year.

Wilson certainly emerged out of the pen, but it was rare that he didn't have a runner or two on before recording an out. Sergio Romo came on at the end of the season, but only has a month of MLB experience. The rest of the bullpen was essentially a disaster.

That being said, I think Sanchez is only going to get better. I think Noah Lowry can come back and solidify the fifth spot. And hopefully Zito will pitch better now that the focus will be on how good Lincecum is and not how bad Zito has been. Cain will do what he has been doing, hopefully with run support this time though. Affeldt helps out the pen a lot, although I'd like to see them add one more arm in there.

11. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

Honestly its going to be between the Dodgers and the Giants. The Yankees offer him a deal and its been a week and he's yet to accepted it. I think he is waiting for a team in California to offer him a deal and go there. Plus I read that CC just bought a house here in southern california. Honestly as a Dodger fan I'll rather have Manny than C.C. Since C.C hasn't proved nothing in the postseason. I think he'll take a paycut to play for a team in California.

12. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

Whatever the offer is, the Yankees will beat it by so much he will have to take the Yankees' offer no matter how much he wants to play in California.

This guy will be on the Yankees.

13. JE

JE Suspended

He doesn't have to take the Yankees' offer.

14. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

I think he'll take a paycut to play in california. but thats just me. we'll see...

15. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    This makes no sense to me. The Giants need HITTING, not another lefty that costs 9 figures...we got one of those already. We need someone that plays EVERY DAY, not every 5th day. Our pitching is solid as it is. It bothers me that the Giants can drop this much cash on a pitcher (when they already did) but they can't some how enter the sweepstakes for Texeira or Manny, etc...

16. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I don't get the Giants. I really don't.

17. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

texiera wont come to san fran, cc/lincecum is the best duo in mlb, if you can, why not? better than 100 million for furcal or some other crap batter.

we really shit the bed on zito, so it scares me though.

18. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    We don't need the best pitching duo in MLB. We have the best pitcher already, and we have two young guys who can be really good in Cain and Sanchez. On top of that, we have Zito (who I think will have a decent year next year) and Lowry (lefty).

That's the thing, if you can buy CC for 9 figures, get a guy who can hit and play everyday. I agree we shouldn't get Furcal, but there's gotta be a decent hitter power hitter out there we can land either by trade or FA.