Gilbert Arenas

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

What are your thoughts on him? Will he be a superstar? Will he be just a star?
    I think that he could one day be the best PG in the league, he just needs to control his decision...a lot of times coming up court he just launches a three without even lookin to see if anyone is open.

[​IMG]
    <font face="Times New Roman"><font size="2">Gilbert is averaging 18.2ppg, 5rpg, and 4.8 apg this year with the Washington Wizards</font></font>

2. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

I would say he can be a superstar, but he can be better with another team. A better one.

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    He won't turn out to a good point guard. I'm thinking he'll progress like Baron Davis or Steve Francis- combo guards whose body says point guard.

4. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

I think he can be a superstar guard if he applies himself to being a teammate rather than proving that "they shouldn't have traded me." Also, the guy's gotta stay healthy, and stop trying to come back without being near one hundred percent.

Had he stayed out longer the first time and come back in good condition, I think Washington would have at least 5-7 more wins than they do now.

5. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

IMO he will never become a superstar. He's an allstar PG, but until the teams he's on start winning he will never be a superstar. Gilbert is a strange guy, he's not a media type. Does anyone remember when he flipped a coin to decide who he'd play with and when it came up Golden State 7/10 times he decided he would go against the flips and go to Washington. But anyway franchise brought up a great point, he will never be a true PG, he's more of a scorer, a true Pg would average more than 5 assists per game.

6. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Crossover:</div><div class="quote_post">I think he can be a superstar guard if he applies himself to being a teammate rather than proving that "they shouldn't have traded me." </div>

???? Arenas was never traded.

7. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I really like him, he really deserved that MIP award he got. He has some of the best effort I've ever seen, he'd attempt to hustle even if he failed at it. His defense is one of the better on the Wizards. However it's his offense game and ability to make the shot for others that really gives him his worth. He's one of the reasons, your team is getting anywhere at all.

8. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

My bad, thought he was traded. But I do remember hearing about him promising everyone that Washington would make the playoffs, and I don't think that'll happen now.

9. Trip

Student
    Naw, he signed a free agent contract with Washington.

10. Mamba

My favorite thing about him is that basketball is his life...He is in the gym the longest out of all wizards, when he first went on IL, he dressed out, because thats wall he knew how to do, he got two T's while on the IL, Dressed out for arguing calls...he has a love for the game that no one can match..and i quote Arenas on this
    "Wait until after the all star break to see what the Wizards are abot, every is calling us soft, just wait until after the all star break when everyone is back"

11. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">He won't turn out to a good point guard. I'm thinking he'll progress like Baron Davis or Steve Francis- combo guards whose body says point guard.</div>
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. He'll never really be a "true" point guard. I'm thinking more of a scorer type, say 20-25 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds or something like that. Yes, those are All-Star numbers definetley. I don't think he'll be a "superstar" because that means elite. But he'll sure as hell be an All-Star. Haven't seen much of him this year, obvioisly because to injury and also because I never watch the Wizards. Always watched him last year because he played on the Warriors. Arenas is my boy though, loved him since his Arizona days, and was really excited when he joined to play for the Warriors. Too bad they couldn't sign him though.

12. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

How much longer is GA out for?

13. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">How much longer is GA out for?</div>

Rumor is he will return on Wednesday

14. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Q Rich3:</div><div class="quote_post">Rumor is he will return on Wednesday</div>

Good to hear,been waiting a long time to see Arenas and Stack in the backcourt.As I'm sure Wizards fans have.It's a shame both have gotten injuried,as I truely believe if heathly Wizards would be around the 8-10 seed.It's still very possible they can make the playoffs but they need to go on a good run to make it.

No matter what though,Wizards are set for the future.

15. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Good to hear,been waiting a long time to see Arenas and Stack in the backcourt.As I'm sure Wizards fans have.It's a shame both have gotten injuried,as I truely believe if heathly Wizards would be around the 8-10 seed.It's still very possible they can make the playoffs but they need to go on a good run to make it.

No matter what though,Wizards are set for the future.</div>
    I agree they have a bright future...they are set w/ a nice backup pg in Steve Blake, who has proven that he can play at an NBA level, he is knocking down shots, and is playing nice D. Arenas is young and is still learning the game, he already is an amazing player and continues to grow, wih Larry Hughes playing the SG, they have someone who can score, slice and get to the lane. Stack is inconsistent w. his shot, but he will always get you 20 a game, he gets to the free throw line where he is nearly automatic, 88% last year. Kwame Brown looks promising, he is learning the game, and is scoring and is playing Defense, his weak point last year. Brendan Haywood has made major strides this year, he has formed a turn around J, which he learned from Ewing. He and Etan can give you a solid performance every night. Stack's career is winding down, Larry Hughes will probably find a new home this summer, that leaves Kwame Brown and Arenas for the future, with some FA signings or Draft picks , this team could become an elite contender ion teh East.

16. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Q Rich3:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree they have a bright future...they are set w/ a nice backup pg in Steve Blake, who has proven that he can play at an NBA level, he is knocking down shots, and is playing nice D. Arenas is young and is still learning the game, he already is an amazing player and continues to grow, wih Larry Hughes playing the SG, they have someone who can score, slice and get to the lane. Stack is inconsistent w. his shot, but he will always get you 20 a game, he gets to the free throw line where he is nearly automatic, 88% last year. Kwame Brown looks promising, he is learning the game, and is scoring and is playing Defense, his weak point last year. Brendan Haywood has made major strides this year, he has formed a turn around J, which he learned from Ewing. He and Etan can give you a solid performance every night. Stack's career is winding down, Larry Hughes will probably find a new home this summer, that leaves Kwame Brown and Arenas for the future, with some FA signings or Draft picks , this team could become an elite contender ion teh East.</div>

Damn, I thought Hughes had a few more years left on his contract. I hope they resign him, I like the sound of him and Arenas in the backcourt for their future.

17. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">Damn, I thought Hughes had a few more years left on his contract. I hope they resign him, I like the sound of him and Arenas in the backcourt for their future.</div>
    Well Rumor has it they are looking to ship him, laettner, Jared jeffries, and/or Juan Dixon to free up some salary cap to make a run at K Mart this summer so they can play Kwame at the 5

18. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Q Rich3:</div><div class="quote_post">Well Rumor has it they are looking to ship him, laettner, Jared jeffries, and/or Juan Dixon to free up some salary cap to make a run at K Mart this summer so they can play Kwame at the 5</div>

That's terrible news especially since Dixon and Blake are like their only good backcourt duo. They're one of the reasons this team is still near decent. Them, Hughes and Arenas. I say get rid of Stack. Ridding of much needed lack of effort. Or simply wait for the draft, since success this year was very poor either way.

19. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">That's terrible news especially since Dixon and Blake are like their only good backcourt duo. They're one of the reasons this team is still near decent. Them, Hughes and Arenas. I say get rid of Stack. Ridding of much needed lack of effort. Or simply wait for the draft, since success this year was very poor either way.</div>
    Why would we get rid of Stack..yea he makes some bad decisions, but he gets to the Free Throw line so many times, he has respect from the refs. I said possibly for Dixon, but the way he has been playing lately, we will probably keep him. Stack is almost finished any way, let him retire a Wizard. Laettner's contract is killing our team so we need to get rid of that, in the Draft we will probably be looking for a PF who can back up Kwame or let Kwame play the 5.

20. Trip

Student
    Stack will look to get his starting spot back from Hughes once he returns, that's for sure. But what he can make of it will be a mystery. Arenas is not the answer for the Wiz at point guard though, it'll be best for both him and the Wizards to move him to shooting guard and start Blake at point guard once Stack retires.