Glen's decisions

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by panzerporter, Nov 7, 2014.

1. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Glen has some important decisions to make with the team already up against the cap and a number of free agents to deal with:

1) Mark Staal - Making $3.975 is his last year and will probably want Girardi money ($5.5). I can't see paying him that type of salary unless he has a major rebound to finish the year.
    2) MSL - Making $5.625 and I can see him perhaps taking a slight pay cut. I think there's still gas in the tank for MSL but how much that translates into a reduced salary remains to be seen. I'd want him back.
    3) Derek Stepan - Making $3.075 and due for a raise in the Brassard range ($5 mil). I think they have to resign him unless his agent goes crazy and wants Callahan money.
    4) MZA - Making $3.5 which is very reasonable for a guy who led the team in scoring. I think the same applies to him as Stepan.
    5) Hags - Making $2.25 but still an RFA that will probably be in the $3-$3.5 range. Great speed but very one dimension and a very lucrative piece of trade bait.
    6) John Moore - Making $850K. Still an RFA but really needs to pick up his game IMO with comparable talent in the minors.
    7) Conor Allen - Making $925K. Also an RFA but seems to have more upside than Moore. Think the Rangers only need one of these 2.
    8) Dylan McIlrath - Making $702K. Another defensive RFA who AV seems to have no interest in. Trade bait?
    9) Cam Talbot - Making $562K. Decent backup who will be an UFA. Don't think the Rangers will be able to keep him, there will be offers from other teams.
    10) J.T. Miller - Making $894. Like McIlrath AV has little interest in him and doesn't seem to want him up with the big team. An RFA but what's the point of resigning a guy AV won't play?

Also in the mix - Stempniak ($900K), Kostka ($650K), Hunwick ($600K), Kristo ($827), Fast ($805), Lindberg ($675) and others in the AHL. Glen's going to have about $23 mil in cap space to fill out the 12 men signed for next year's team.

2. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

A lot can happen between now and then but I'll add three things:

1. Stepan may be more toward O'Reilly money (6m) than Brassard money (5m). If you go strictly by the numbers, he deserves it.

2. Last year Talbot and Chad Johnson were the 2 best backups in hockey. Johnson signed for 1.3m with the Isles. If Talbot gets back to form and a team offers him that we have to let him walk, no way we can tie up 10m in goalies.

3. I said this in another thread but I have a really good feeling about MSL taking a nice cut to stay here. He wants to finish his career here.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Glass is gone. Either to the minors or via trade to some team. No way he's on the team next year. J. Moore is gone. Skjei will take his place. I expected Moore to step up this year. He's not done so. Stempniak will not be brought back. Klein will most likely be traded if they keep McIlrath. If they keep Klein, I expect McIlrath to be dealt in a package. I think Hayes will lose 2.5 off his cap hit next year. They should have enough cap room.