GM's Hound Pritchard About the #1 Pick

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, May 31, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">It was interesting to watch Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard on Wednesday at the NBA's pre-draft camp in Orlando. To say Pritchard has become a popular man with his general manager peers would be an understatement.

In the morning session, Pritchard left his scouting seat in the sideline bleachers with Seattle assistant general manager Rich Cho, and the two went to a corner of the gym to hold a private, five-minute conversation. Pritchard was animated during the conversation, using his right index finger to count down his left fingers.

Later, in the evening session, Pritchard did little if any scouting, instead sitting high up in the bleachers to talk with members of the Dallas Mavericks front office.

After the session, while I was interviewing Pritchard, Chicago general manager John Paxson came up and grabbed Pritchard's arm, telling him he wanted to talk to Pritchard before he left. As I continued my interview, with Paxson waiting a few feet away, I asked Pritchard what the nature was of his earlier talks with Seattle and Dallas.

"I can't comment on that, you know that,'' Pritchard said with a smile.

After more questions, Paxson again approached and said he would catch Pritchard later. I told them I was done, and the two walked to the balcony of the arena and had a discussion. I didn't stay to see how long they talked, but it lasted at least several minutes.

The point, of course, is that a lot of teams want to talk to Portland, and Pritchard is listening.

"We are going to prepare like we have done in the past, like we are going to get multiple picks,'' Pritchard said. "Then we are going to try and stimulate some interest with our four second round picks. We can do a lot of things with them, there are a lot of options.''

Did I just feel trade winds blowing?

Pritchard said the team will begin its workouts with prospects starting June 8 in Portland. He said they will continue to have workouts nearly every day until right before the draft. I asked him if any of those workouts include lottery-projected players like Florida's Corey Brewer or Ohio State's Mike Conley, Jr.

"Can't get 'em,'' Pritchard said. " Well, actually I shouldn't say that. I would say that is not in our plan right now. It's difficult to get those guys because with the first pick we have the opportunity to get one of the top two guys, so with such a narrow window of time it's difficult to get those guys. If we had the sixth pick we would have a lot more guys in.''

So I asked again: No plans for workouts of lottery-level players.

"As of right now, no,'' Pritchard said. "But we are talking to people.''</div>

Source: Blog OregonLive