Go Bears!

Discussion in 'Warriors Lounge' started by wtwalker77, Jul 16, 2004.

1. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mStuck:</div><div class="quote_post">About me :: I grew up in the North Bay and am now living in Berkeley while going into my second year at Cal.</div>
    Go Bears!!!

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I'm also a Cal alum. Gotta love da Bears.

3. mStuck

mStuck JBB JustBBall Member

woot! Go Bears indeed :bigthumbu

4. mStuck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Zhone:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm also a Cal alum. Gotta love da Bears.</div>

Awesome. :mrgreen: When did you graduate?

5. Zhone

Just in 2002, so it's only been 2 years since then. Hope you're enjoying it there!

6. mStuck

Cal is treating me quite nicely. Not only is school great, but I get to stay close to the good 'ole warriors

7. wtwalker77

I graduated in 2000, but I still have a lot of friends in the athletic dept., so I try to keep in touch.

8. mStuck

Wow, there are a lot of Cal people here...I feel right at home. :mrgreen: How did you guys get involved with athletics at school? It's so intimidating for me with all the division one kids running around the gym courts. I've been thoroughly schooled on multiple occasions. Thus, I?ve pretty much been sticking to academics though I?d really like to get involved in sports somehow.

9. wtwalker77

I was recruited for crew, but I hurt my back in my sophmore year and had to call it quits. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I started working in the event management dept. of the athletic dept., which is THE best job for any sports nut. I ended up working there the rest of the time I was at Cal and for a year afterwards.

If you're looking for a job while you're at Cal, I highly recomend it. You get paid to watch sports, and usually from field/court level. You get to see all the behind the scenes stuff, meet coaches and players, and the work you do before and after the game isn't that hard at all.

One of my favorite memories from Cal was celebrating with the players in Cal's locker room after they knocked off UNC at the Pete Newell Classic in '98.

10. mStuck

That sounds like a great job. Can anyone get into the event management dept? How would one go about getting involved like that?

11. wtwalker77

Yeah, anyone current Cal student can get it. I'll send you a PM about.

12. Zhone

I was never that involved with athletics at Cal aside from being a spectator. I was on final-string-practice for the Rugby team my 2nd year, but that was it. Unless you count my excellence at residence-hall table tennis or being the pseudo-MVP "Broomball" goalie for the Bioengineering team. (We played 40 players to our 15 players, and I didn't count my saves. The score was something like 6-13. If you've never played the game, you play it with brooms and mini-soccer balls, on ice, without skates. They had about 100-150 shots because I told my team not to play defense, and I would take care of it.) Those were the days.

13. wtwalker77

Yeah, anyone current Cal student can get it. I'll send you a PM about.

14. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Go Bears as well...

15. Bay_Area_Fan

Bay_Area_Fan JBB JustBBall Member

I'm taking a P.E. Basketball class @ the RSF just to take my mind off the rest of my classes. The only one that wouldn't interfere with my schedule is the beginers class, which sucks cause I already know how to play...but man am I DOMINATING! I feel like Jason Richardson (minus the dunking) playing in the NBDL/WNBA...I'm unstoppable!

16. Zhone

Haha, you should consider teaching the beginner's class maybe instead!

17. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I know that feeling [​IMG] It's even funnier when you make a defender fall on their butt because they lack coordination/footwork/technique to guard the 'ol killer crossover.

18. Bay_Area_Fan

Bay_Area_Fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I know that feeling [​IMG] It's even funnier when you make a defender fall on their butt because they lack coordination/footwork/technique to guard the 'ol killer crossover.</div>

I feel kind of bad though. Especially when they put me up against a girl. I don't want to seem like a jerk, but if I have to put up a solid screen or swat a few shots, I can't let the oppurtunity pass me by! :P

19. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bay_Area_Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">I feel kind of bad though. Especially when they put me up against a girl. I don't want to seem like a jerk, but if I have to put up a solid screen or swat a few shots, I can't let the oppurtunity pass me by! :P</div>
    Wow how do you get dates then? [​IMG]

Actually you know Ron Artest he doesn't let anyone score on him. Not even his baby toddler. So I guess you got to get up for everyone if you're religious about man-to-man (or I should say man-to-woman) defense. And plus blocking shots is just fun because its just as good as a dunk in my opinion (sometimes better if you get the ball back and initiate a good 2-1 fastbreak).

20. Zhone

If you play tough defense on a girl, chances are you'll be really, really close. While it's not a date, it's pretty physical. Just don't be mean about it, and be at least polite by helping her back up if she gets knocked down, maybe something will work out? And I'm not saying you should be thinking about this, but you might get some inadvertent "feels." :mrgreen: (Of course, make sure to apologize if you do have such an accident!)

Or maybe she'll hate you forever and tell all her friends you're a jerk! :thumbsdow

If it was an advanced class, I'd say go all out, but in a beginners class you should be nice, no matter who it is. Some girls appreciate you giving them some respect by playing tough, just don't pick them out.