Golden State @ Seattle

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Sir Desmond, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Preview

Details:

Who: [​IMG] (20-20) vs [​IMG] (17-24)
    Where: Key Arena
    When: Thurs, Jan 22th, 7pm
    TV: KONG, NBALP

Projected Lineups:

[​IMG]
    PG: Brent Barry/Antonio Daniels/Luke Ridnour
    SG: Ray Allen/Ronald Murray/Richie Frahm
    SF: Rashard Lewis/Vladimir Radmanovic
    PF: Vladimir Radmanovic/Reggie Evans/Calvin Booth
    C: Jerome James/Calvin Booth/Vitaly Potapenko

Coached by Nate McMillan

[​IMG]
    PG: Craig Claxton/Avery Johnson
    SG: Jason Richardson/Calbert Cheaney/Mickael Pietrus
    SF: Mike Dunleavy/Calbert Cheaney/Brian Cardinal
    PF: Clifford Robinson/Brian Cardinal/Popeye Jones
    C: Erick Dampier/Adonal Foyle

Coached by Eric Musselman

[​IMG] Injury List:
    Nick Collison: shoulder, season.
    Ansu Sesay: left ring finger sprain, on IL.

[​IMG] 76er Injury List
    Evan Eschmeyer: knee surgery, on IL.
    Troy Murphy: bruised right ankle, on IL.
    Nick Van Exel: knee inflammation, on IL.

Analysis:
    Home sweet home. The popular cliche applies here, as Seattle return from a torrid four game road trip in the East, posting an unenviable 1-3 record. Golden State haven't fared much better this season, reaching the halfway point of their season with a 17-24, as they have slowly tumbled out of the playoff race in the last few weeks. Can they turn it around? Seattle are currently 1-6 in their last seven games, all against teams with records below .500, and these are the games they need to win if they want to play post season basketball. These two teams met a couple of weeks ago, with Golden State taking an overtime win after forward Clifford Robinson nailed six treys. Can they do the same in Seattle, or are the Sonics angry enough to play to the best of their abilities. They have the firepower, but do they have the heart?

Long Range Threat:

[​IMG]

Evergreen veteran Cliff Robinson had a night out last time these teams met, hitting six treys, his last sealing the deal in overtime, as he scored 28 points and led the Warriors to a 113-110 victory.

[quoteright]"We're certainly disappointed with the way we played on the road trip. We're 40 games into the season and there's a lot more to be done. The games we've won shows us there is something in us that will allow us to be on that level again. We just have to find it." - Brent Barry reflects on Seattle's season thus far.[/QUOTERIGHT]

Key Factors:

[​IMG]

- Crash the boards. While Golden State have had their big men stocks decimated by injury, they are still a better rebounding team than Seattle, who languish near the bottom of the rankings in that category. Not giving up second chance points will be a key, especially to Erick Dampier, who feasts on the glass at both ends.

- Rotate on defense. Last time around, the Sonics were caught short in this area and it allowed Robinson to get open numerous times, which was the straw that broke the donkey's back, so to speak. Even without Nick Van Exel, Golden State can be a dangerous team from the perimeter, and Seattle must be on their guard defensively.

- Starting. Seattle are notoriously slow starters, and if a team like Golden State get hot early it could spell trouble, despite their average record. The Sonics need to be focused from the opening tip; they do not want to be playing catch-up ball.

[​IMG] (By Rudeezy)

This is very simple: the Warriors must get more consistent on the road. Forget about being consistent, they must win A game on the road. They let one slip away last night against a beatable Clippers team.

Dampier has been a beast on the boards, once again. He must continue to gather rebounds and give the Warriors second chance opportunities if they expect to come out of Seatle with a W. The Warriors have not gone to the offensive glass on the road, that must change.

Richardson has to play good D on Ray Allen. Allen almost beat the Warriors by himself in the last meeting. J-Rich is not going to shut him out, but as the saying goes, he must contain him.

It is no secrete that the Sonics like to shoot the 3 ball. Every shot must be contended. The more 3's the Sonics shoot the better, as long as they are missing.[​IMG]

Key Matchup: Ray Allen vs Allen Iverson

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Arguably the best shooter in the game against arguably the best dunker, but both can switch roles quite easily. Defense is neither's strong point, so expect to see a free-flowing contest here with plenty of excitement. Allen, as always, will look to shoot the ball, and if he gets hot early then there isn't a lot Richardson can do. He also can't afford to play Allen too closely, or Ray will beat him off the dribble; thus making him such a tough prospect to guard. Richardson on the other hand is well on his way to making his mark as one of the best shooting guards in the league. His shooting stroke has improved, but it is his off-ball movement which makes him so hard to guard, result in many dunks and open shots. His rebounding is also exceptional for a guard, meaning Allen will need to be wide awake defensively.

X-Factors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Antonio Daniels - his tough nosed approach off the bench will be needed here, as Seattle look to see off the Warriors. Golden State can play scrappy basketball when needed, and Daniels will need to control the tempo and play his usual tough brand of defense when he comes into the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Calbert Cheaney - his defensive effort on Allen was a key factor last time these teams met, and he will surely be given that job again in the minutes he does play. His scoring ability is also underrated, and he remains a valuable member of Golden State's bench.

<font size="1">Player photos and logo images courtesy of NBA.com </font>

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I've got a feeling how this is going to turn out. [​IMG]

3. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I love both teams, but with the way Allen played in their last game, I just hope he's back on track. Robinson, geez, how well can someone shoot while being so old. Collins and Rogers certainly can't. Allen's a great defender, I think he'll keep up and contend with J-Rich for alot of the game. I just hope Lewis is consistent in this game. If Allen is up to snuff, Sonics by 8.

4. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

I'm feeling good about this one. :mrgreen: Though Warriors have not won at home in such a long time, their due to break that streak sooner or later. They played the Sonics very tough the last time they met, and were able to pull it out due to the clutch shooting of Cliff Robinson. Yes, I know that is a whole different story because GS was at home, but if Cliff Robinson is able to be the threat he has been lately, and Speedy Claxton opens up the offense more like he also has been doing lately, Warriors definetley have a shot in this one. Look for J-Rich and Ray Allen to go at it all game, this one is going to be exciting. I'm going against the crowd and are going to take the Warriors by 3 tonight.

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">Allen's a great defender.</div>

[​IMG]

6. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

Damn, don't know why I was feelin the Warriors tonight. Sonics blew them out the building, Sonics were able to get everyone involved tonight and came out with an easy win. Warriors will never win on the road. [​IMG]

7. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post"> Warriors will never win on the road. [​IMG]</div>Sad but true.[​IMG]

8. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I knew the warriors were going to lose because its on a back to back and they've never won a back to back game this year. It's sad. The only consistent performers on back to back's were Claxton, Cardinal, and Dunleavy. There should be no excuse for our top scorer (jrich) to suck so much the next day. Is it his conditioning? And why are we playing Cheaney the guy is injured. Play Pietrus instead. You think the guy would know some English by now and be able to contribute where an injured player cannot.

Are any other warriors fans this confused and frustrated where this season is going and what the moves will be for next season? Maybe I will wake up one day soon and Cohan will sell the team to someone more knowledgeable and that has more money and will still keep the team here. Like a quieter version of Mark Cuban.

9. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">

Are any other warriors fans this confused and frustrated where this season is going and what the moves will be for next season? </div>I am VERY frustrated. I'm almost too frustrated to even watch them play anymore.

I agree about J-Rich. He is horrible on back to back games and there is no excuse for it. He is the most athletic guy on this team, fatigue should not play a factor.