Gooden to Golden State?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by bronbron23, Jul 30, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">According to HoopsWorld, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors have recently had discussions about a possible Drew Gooden trade.

Moving Gooden would give the Cavaliers the opportunity to re-sign free agents Anderson Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic and still have breathing room under the salary cap.

If Golden State uses the exception created from the Jason Richardson trade on draft night to absorb Gooden's salary, Cleveland would not have to take back any salary, meaning both teams win in the trade.</div>

source

2. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

How reliable is hoopsworld? I don't think this will happen unless Cavs seriously get something good in return Gooden has been quite solid for them.

3. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

I sure as hell hope we don't waste that cap space on Gooden. Maybe sign and trade for Sarunas and Peitrus but that's it

4. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">ryanfish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I sure as hell hope we don't waste that cap space on Gooden. Maybe sign and trade for Sarunas and Peitrus but that's it</div>

The goal for Cleveland isn't to take on dead weight like Jasikevicius and Pietrus. They're trying to clear up cap space to sign Anderson Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic without having to pay the luxury tax.

Either way, it's practically like getting Drew Gooden for free. There really aren't many negatives in this deal for the Warriors, unless you think that Gooden's not even worth the $6.4 million he's making.

5. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Either way, it's practically like getting Drew Gooden for free. There really aren't many negatives in this deal for the Warriors, unless you think that Gooden's not even worth the $6.4 million he's making.</div>
    The only implication is that his salary counts against the W's cap for another 2 or 3 seasons I think. I think 2. And that could put them in luxury tax territory if they have to sign Biedrins and Ellis. Which since his contract is so short. It shouldn't be much of a problem.

6. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">...unless you think that Gooden's not even worth the $6.4 million he's making.</div>

Exactly.

They're trying to cut dead weight. Why would GS take their dead weight? If the Cavs ever want to trade Gooden, the first thing they must do is convince him to shave that little patch of armpit hair on the back of his head.

Still, it would be a knucklehead deal for the Warriors to waste their invaluable exemption on Gooden.

7. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

If the talk is that KG to Boston is for real. I think that exemption is better served matching any offer to Varejo or at least taking a run at him and let Him use us to jack up his price. I would rather have a VArejo than a Gooden. Especially at the same price. I know we still need that rebounding 4 ..... but is Gooden the answer? I don't think so.

I sure hope Mullin stays strong and doesn't cave to Cle and help them.... or cave to Miami and help them in the Pietrus situation. Stay pat and a better deal will come trade deadline time.

8. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I think you guys are undervaluing Gooden. Hes not deadweight at all, dudes a solid role playing 4 that can rebound like crazy. His contract is only 2 years 6-7 mils a year and hes a good fit for our system. Hes got great mobility, a good handle, can push the break a little bit, hes got some mid-range game, solid defender, can rebound with the best of them, brings a lot of energy. I would jump at the offer to get a guy like that for free. I doubt we could get anything better with the TE, at least not a big man as good as Gooden who fits and fills a need for us.

I wouldn't mind getting Varejao but I would assume he'd be more expensive and Cleveland would have a hard time letting him go since hes young and a fan favorite. Hes like a poor man's Biedrins though- lots of energy, good rebounding, good defense, likes to bang in the paint but also not the brightest player around (anyone remember him trying to make a game winning shot instead of passing the ball back to LeBron in the POs), and hes pretty spaztastic while also being older.

Gooden gives us a bit of a different look from what we already have in Biedrins and Harrington and those three should give us a versatile frontcourt to mix and match depending on who we play. I don't think Varejao and Biedrins could ever be on the floor at the same time under Nellie. Gooden at least has a mid-range game, mobility, and a handle, he even played some SF back in Memphis IIRC. Plus, he'll be cheaper and has a shorter contract, hes the perfect stopgap until Wright is ready to take over the job full time.

9. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I like Gooden. Like Run said, you guys are underestimating him. Playing with Baron will make him better. The only thing I hate about him is the pubes on the back of his neck. [​IMG]

10. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

What I found most interesting about the article is that if it's true, Mullin is using craftiness to essentially force Cleveland's hand to pick either Gooden or Varejao. By being smart, Mullin gets Gooden or Varejao, and either one would be a great young, decently athletic pickup that would help our rebounding woes, for about $6 million. Much better than the horrible contract we gave to Murphy.

11. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Good point Zhone.

At first I was like, yeah that sounds cool. But then second I was thinking of how I liked Harrington at the 4 and the team just drafted Wright and Lasme. After looking at his stats, I am not very impressed. His first season he had good rebounding numbers, but they have gone down since. Maybe it's playing with Z or something. I don't know how much of a rebounding helper he will be for this team. Right now I am kind of indifferent about the idea. But if the team were to add another 6 million dollar contract to the team, I'd like to take a look at Luke Ridnour who may be available for something like Sarunas and the TE. Then again I couldn't really say that Luke would be the better option, but I'd like to see him on this team with Don Nelson as head coach and to give Baron more rest, that is if Don Nelson would have more confidence in Luke being point than he did for Monta last season.

12. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Eh. While Gooden will not impact more than what his stat indicate, his 2 years / 13 mils deal is not a bad deal. But, the main reason we dumped Richardson's salary is to make a room for both Biedrins and Monta next season. If we make this deal, we will lose more than half of room that Richardson's trade provide for next season. It is an intriguing deal, and we really need to do something with 4 spot since we are not getting KG. But, if this deal doesn't allow us to resign both Biedrins and Monta, I will pass...

13. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not a huge Gooden fan, but I still think this would be a good deal financially and basketball-wise. Gooden is a defensive liability outside his rebounding, but he's reliable and better than any other big man option we'd find out there. Also, it should be very easy to move an expiring contract if we needed after this season if we don't find another way to get around the cap.

14. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Gooden is overweight. He is going to have to lighten up to play in Nellie's system. He could be a solid pick up. Not an all star, but a nice role player...

15. AlleyOop

Gooden looks like he takes bong-rips before tip-off. When Cleveland came to GS, I was at the arena watching warm-ups. Instead of working on post moves or other legit warm-up stuff, Gooden was pretending to be a Harlem Globetrotter except he would bounce the ball off his knee or forehead accidentally. He would lose the ball trying a cross-over dribble and he would get all backboard on a wrong-footed lay-up. And he is paid $6 million to do this. And I ask you: why?

16. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Gooden looks like he takes bong-rips before tip-off. When Cleveland came to GS, I was at the arena watching warm-ups. Instead of working on post moves or other legit warm-up stuff, Gooden was pretending to be a Harlem Globetrotter except he would bounce the ball off his knee or forehead accidentally. He would lose the ball trying a cross-over dribble and he would get all backboard on a wrong-footed lay-up. And he is paid $6 million to do this. And I ask you: why?</div>

Better than Foyle chucking half-court shots. Or is it?

17. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">Gohn Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Better than Foyle chucking half-court shots. Or is it?</div>

Good question. With Foyle's fart-brained antics, he was also endangering the lives of his teammates by raining down half-court bombs while they tried to work on free-throw mechanics. Several times Matt Barnes had to duck-and-cover half way through his free-throw release. You know, the kind of stuff that goes on during half time of a high school game when all the middle-school students get to tear up the court for 5 or 10 minutes? Except this was an NBA player, embarrassing his own teammates.

With Gooden, at least, come game time, he'll give you a little production along with his chrome--dome antics. But for 6.5 mils? Hell no. He's not bad. But we don't need to spend that on him. Better to give the little-paid rookies and bench guys a chance, and save the cash for REAL necessities. This would be a consolation move by Mullin, and it would be faulty.