Goodrow rumored to be getting

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jul 19, 2021.

1. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

6yrs and 3.6 per. I like the player but boy that’s a hefty contract

2. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Too much. If he gets 6 years need to stay at $3M per AAV.

We gave him years, 6, and AAV, 3.6. That's a lot.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

That's not a hefty contract. There are tons of crap, non winning players in the league getting 4+ million on deals. Fourth lines have been more valued the past few years after watching the playoffs. Especially elite PK guys that can also shut down other teams top lines. Especially with so many teams having soft, finess Euro's like the Rangers do.

4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

And an extra half mill shouldn't matter a ton once the cap starts going up 2 mll per year in a couple of years. They could always deal him or do a buyout too in year 6.

5. kreidertime

His line was elite at shutting other top lines down. So what the Rangers need to do is find two guys to play with him. I believe Richards will be one of those guys. Don't know if Rooney can be that guy.

6. NYR Fan

I'll say it, too much for Goodrow. Concerns me that this is the first move by Drury. I like the player, but to be that desperate to give him the years AND the AAV, seems over the top. Should have said 6 years $18M, and if he wanted more move on.

Going from 925 K to $3.6M, that's simply put too much.

And we'll see when the cap goes up. I'd expect at least one more year of a flat cap, maybe two. We'll see.

7. kreidertime

It’s not too much money because he’s going to get rid of that dumbass Buchnevich

8. NYR Fan

I think he'll get rid of Buch also, but that still doesn't mean giving a player like Goodrow $3.6M per for 6 years is the right move. Kind of screams overpay to me to get a certain type of player.

I am not all fired up over it, but make no mistake about it, it's too many years for that AAV.

9. Ranger71

I'm more concerned about the Trouba contract being a rusty anchor in 3y. He's gotta be better going forward. Good leader and clubhouse guy but his play hasn't lived up so far.

10. kreidertime

Just another example of dumbass Gorton giving out stupid nmc and ntc’s

11. NYR Fan

I have a very different opinion on Trouba. He has been good for us. If anyone thought he was a stud # 1 dman, that's on you IMO. He hits, he leads, and he plays solid in his own zone. You want to tell me he makes $1M too much, okay I can buy that, but Trouba is another in the long list of guys that is way underappreciated by the fan base.

And if the comeback is points, I say based on what? He had one season with 50 points exactly, clearly that was an anomaly. He has never had more than 33 points in any other season, and outside of one season of 33 points, he has never broken 30 in any other season. He also doesn't play the PP here. So I would say we are getting exactly what we should have reasonably expected.

If some fans chose to expect more than he has shown outside of one season, that isn't on Trouba. Also could be our next captain and plays 22 mpg. And what did our D look like after Trouba was knocked out against the Isles.

12. Ranger71

He dosen't have to put up 50, or even 45, but for 8m he should put up an average of at least 35 per year. He has offensive ability but it hasn't really shown enough here so far imo. Hopefully now with a set corps and going into his age 27 season he can give a little more in that regard.

13. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

That’s fine for Goodrow. He is hitting his prime, he is great defensively and on the penalty kill, and he is a winner. Rangers have too many experienced players that are soft

14. NYR Fan

If you are looking for Trouba to score 35 points, something he has done once in his whole career, then you will continue to be disappointed. I'm not really sure why you are focused on points scored for Trouba, especially when he does not play on the PP, but to each their own I guess.

15. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

He was on the PP his first season here. I'd like to see him on the PP2 again this year. I would say 30-35 points is about where he is going to top out.

16. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

6 years on most players gives me a little bit of cold sweats, but we are in need of someone like Goodrow and sometimes that means having to overpay a bit. Just turned 28, big and strong, playoff/Cup experience and can score a little. He could be a huge add to the team with so many young players.

Ranger71 likes this.
  17. kreidertime

Agree. Plus, it's going to raise the contract demands of Cizikas a lot. :) I guess they figure Rooney can be 1/3 of a line with Goodrow. Now, they need to find the other guy. I hope Richards is it. The speed of that Goodrow line was a huge deal. I've felt the Rangers have been painfully slow the past few seasons.

18. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Yeah, 6 years is a LONG contract for a bottom 6 player in my opinion.

19. kreidertime

Is he really a bottom 6 player in the playoffs if his line is used to shut other top lines down? Then he's no longer a bottom 6 player. He's a key to winning playoff series. 6 years is not going to be based off the regular season. They are signing a guy like that to shut down other teams top lines and pp's in the post season. This team should have more than enough to make the playoffs with it's first real coach in a long time and the improvement of their top young talent.

20. Ranger71

It will be interesting to see if Barron earns a spot or needs more time in Hartford. If Seattle takes Blackwell maybe Gauthier emerges as a 4th line option.