Google Chromecast

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by porkchopexpress, Jul 24, 2013.

1. porkchopexpress

porkchopexpress Well-Known Member

Anyone hear about the $35 product that stole the show at Google's event today (also announced Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and the updated Nexus 7)? It's similar to Apple TV, but in in addition to playing true apps designed for the device, it'll play any Chrome browser tab on your TV (so, there doesn't need to be a dedicated HBOGO app like Apple just got). It works with Android, iOS, Windows and OSX. I just ordered one to try out. The only thing I'm not sure if it does is mirror your monitor when not in Chrome. If it doesn't, that's still an advantage of apple TV.

Oh, and right now it's $35, but you get 3 months Netflix free (even on existing accounts), so it's really just $11 if you already have Netflix.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/chromecast-is-googles-miracle-device/

[video=youtube;cKG5HDyTW8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKG5HDyTW8o[/video]

2. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Is the need for a dedicated app really that awful?

3. porkchopexpress

No, not necessarily. But the alternative is Apple TV, which has a very limited selections of Apps because they don't have an App Store for it. With this, you are able to stream anything you can watch online. Take HBOGO for example. ATV finally got an HBOGO app a few months ago (not all cable providers support it) and it as a huge deal. With this, you'll be able to watch HBOGO on your TV from day 1 w/o any additional development on the actual website. Eventually they might have a 'watch via Chromecast' option on the site, but without it you just have to use the Chrome extension.

I think the most attractive thing is that it essentially works as another tab in Chrome (you can still browse the web in the other tabs without interrupting the feed) and that the Chromecast is actually powering the stream so it shouldn't drain your phone/tablet if you're using one of those to run this.

4. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I can dig it, mostly because I'm seriously considering getting a chromebook pixel

5. BlazerCaravan

Interesting. I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes. Of course, this is nothing you can't do with a Macbook and an AppleTV already... but for the tablet set, it's a nice unique feature.

6. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/24/chromecast-is-googles-response-to-apples-airplay

For some time now, Apple has offered AirPlay as a way to stream content to your HDTV through its set-top box, the $99 Apple TV. And while AirPlay is certainly convenient, the setup requires another piece of hardware on your TV stand. Today, Google has offered an alternative with ChromeCast, a small receiver which plugs right into an HDMI port.

ChromeCast is a 2-inch dongle, capable of streaming HD content to your HDTV, regardless of whether you're using an Android device, iOS device, or a laptop. Setting up the little device seems incredibly simple: just plug the ChromeCast into your TV's HDMI port, connect it to WiFi, and press the ChromeCast button on your device.

chromecast

Currently, Google has announced app support from Netflix, YouTube, and Google Play. You can also stream content from your laptop, as the functionality is built right into Chrome. Google also stated ChromeCast support is coming to Pandora and other third-party apps in the near future.

ChromeCast costs $35, and is available right now from Google and Amazon. Best Buy stores will start selling ChromeCast around July 28.

7. porkchopexpress

I thought some content providers block airplay. I think HBOGO was one (mute point now that it has it's own App). I could be wrong though.

I'm hoping this is going to be as good as advertised. If it is, I'm buying one for my parents so they can watch Netflix on their TV via their iPad. If not, at least it was only a $11 investment.

8. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Forget you Chop....... I love my AppleTV FAMS!

Sent from HCPs Baller-Ass iPhone 5...FAMS!

9. porkchopexpress

If I had an ATV, I probably wouldn't have bought this, at least not on launch day. It might still be good for your though, since you're on the road all the time. You just need an HDMI port and wifi and you'd be able to watch on your hotel TV rather than just your iPad.

10. BlazerCaravan

Yeah the native apps can block airplay (kinda, there's a dead simple workaround) on the iPad/iPhone but not on a laptop (all Mac computers running 10.7 or higher can airplay to an appleTV).

11. porkchopexpress

Ah, so there is no issue playing via your Mac? I must have misunderstood. Probably would have bought an ATV over my Roku 3 (which has worked perfectly, just wish it had the mirroring so I didn't have to hook up my MBP via hdmi)

12. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I think it's pretty cool that this hooks up to ANY HDMI tv, not just the extra expensive "smart" TVs.

13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  14. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I see that Wired shows you get 3 months free of Netflix but when you go to buy this little dongle from either Google Play or Amazon there is no mention of getting 3 months free.

It is probably worth it (it is dirt cheap) without the 3 months of Netflix but I would rather be sure I am getting something (or not) before I buy. And I am ready to buy.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  15. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Its google, I bet they just give up on it within a year to 18 months.

16. porkchopexpress

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

On the Chromecast page, it's the 3rd slide. Yesterday it had a disclaimer saying it works with new and existing Netflix customers, but I don't see that now. It also said you can only use the discount once per user (so if you bought 3 of these, you'd still only get 3 months free, though I guess you probably could give the promo code to someone else).

17. KeepOnRollin

Thanks, I am in for one now.

18. KeepOnRollin

Well actually both Amazon and Best Buy are already out of stock. Google Play Store makes you pay for shipping which makes it about 43 dollars. Still worth it I suppose but...

19. porkchopexpress

Yeah, I was going to buy with Prime yesterday, but was already too late. Even before it was temporarily out of stock, the shipping was 3-4 weeks. I think shipping was 5.99 on google, but since that is also 3-4 weeks, it might be worth it to just wait until its back in stock at Amazon.

20. KeepOnRollin

I just wonder if they will pull the free Netflix offer after a month or so.